Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Shadowdale: The Scouring of The Land
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  23:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Following the link in the first post of the thread on Expedition to Undermountain, I couldn't help but not one of the Also Reccomended titles listed, namely this one:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978078694039/0786940395/Shadowdale+The+Scouring+Of+The+Land+A+Forgotten+Realms+Adven

Shadowdale: The Scouring of The Land by Thomas M. Reid, Richard Baker & Eric L. Boyd. Due July 2007.

I'm presuming that this is the second book in the FR hardcover adventure trilogy for next year, and the sequel therefore to Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave.

Any ideas where the third part will be set? Anauroch or Sembia would be good locations I'd say.

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196

Edited by - Brakkart on 25 Oct 2006 23:36:20

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  01:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds familiar to "Scouring of the Shire", that Tolkien chapter in Return of the King...

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  01:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought someone at Gencon said that the Third module would be set in the Western heartlands and involve a powerful red dragon and alot of destruction

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  08:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't there some huge-ass red dragon named Glauth or some such thing, plus that CR 40 dragon from Power of Faerūn?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  10:57:55  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Isn't there some huge-ass red dragon named Glauth or some such thing, plus that CR 40 dragon from Power of Faerūn?

Klauth (great red wyrm) and Inferno (advanced great red wyrm) or could be Balagos, he's near

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  11:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, lad

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  15:46:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I thought someone at Gencon said that the Third module would be set in the Western heartlands and involve a powerful red dragon and alot of destruction

No.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Brightblade
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  04:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Brightblade's Homepage Send Brightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link is up at Amazon

Here

Mod Edit: Fixed the URL

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Nov 2006 14:35:30
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  20:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land
A Forgotten Realms Supplement
Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid

Elminster’s tower lies in ruins, and the town of Shadowdale has been conquered by evil Sharrans and the nefarious forces of Zhentil Keep. To drive the villains out of Shadowdale, the heroes must organize and lead a desperate revolt of Dalesfolk against their conquerors, as well as thwart the sinister designs of Shar’s servants and the Zhent garrison.

Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding is the second part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, although it can be easily played as a stand-alone adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_fracc_955697200_lgpic.jpg

Item Code 955697200
Release Date July 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 160
ISBN 978-0-7869-4039-4
Price $29.95; C$37.95

This sounds very cool indeed! And is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that the heartlands are seriously going to hell in a handbasket right now, what with Cormyr tottering, Sembia in strife, the Shades everywhere, the Dales and Elves worn out form fighting the fey'ri and the Zhents conquering the Moonsea. The area has never been so interesting!

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196

Edited by - Brakkart on 22 Nov 2006 20:41:54
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  21:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it sucks. More whiz-bang destruction in the Dalelands (as if the Last Mythal series just wasn't enough).

But then, I am a professional contrarian.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Nov 2006 21:42:13
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:33:09  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cover's cool

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  02:39:38  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think it sucks. More whiz-bang destruction in the Dalelands (as if the Last Mythal series just wasn't enough).

But then, I am a professional contrarian.

see I think the more destruction there the better.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  04:41:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowdale should be left alone IMO. That being said, the statement of Elminster's tower lying in ruins.... should make a big boom and probably cause a rift or two.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  04:48:27  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additionally, I see the potential end of Elminster here, anybody else? The novel,Elminster's daughter, alludes to this a little. Also with the resent destruction of the blackstaff, we know dramatic change is coming.

anyways, my 2 coppers
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  06:18:24  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Additionally, I see the potential end of Elminster here, anybody else? The novel,Elminster's daughter, alludes to this a little. Also with the resent destruction of the blackstaff, we know dramatic change is coming.

anyways, my 2 coppers

It's quite possible, but not something I would appreciate and include in my FR campaigns. Also, even if I really like Eric's work, I would prefer Ed to write Elminster's end, as a mortal at least.

Edited by - Skeptic on 23 Nov 2006 06:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  14:15:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

anyways, my 2 coppers

Yeah, except for one thing: the statement that it can be used in any time-frame. If Elminster is killed as part of the plot, then it kinda locks it in the here-and-now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  14:29:17  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

anyways, my 2 coppers

Yeah, except for one thing: the statement that it can be used in any time-frame. If Elminster is killed as part of the plot, then it kinda locks it in the here-and-now.

Yeah, and what's even more strange is that I can't imagine the Shadow dale taker-over without the help of the Shades, but their return is well fixed in the timeline too.
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  15:49:30  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this plot makes me nervous for Elminster, but moreso for Storm and Syluné. Storm would die defending the Dalelands if she had to, like Syluné did before her. Syluné can only exist within a few feet of a chip of her old home (now Storm's house). If Storm's cottage is destroyed, then Syluné will have to rely on the chips that Storm has hidden in the ground and in the city to allow Syluné to travel. If Storm's cottage is destroyed, assuming Syluné "survives", then Storm couldn't continue hiding them in the ground and giving her sister a wider range of travel.

And that's assuming Storm survives. She would go down fighting for the sake of Shadowdale if she had to, especially if it was to save Elminster.

Personally, I'd much rather see Elminster, Storm, and Syluné as refugees living in another region (reading Blackstaff gives me an idea of just the place) than to see that one or all of them were destroyed along with Shadowdale.

Also, with Elminster no longer in his top form since El in Hell, http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-elwhere.htm I see him as being more vulnerable to a massive Sharran attack.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  16:32:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond
Also, with Elminster no longer in his top form since El in Hell, http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-elwhere.htm I see him as being more vulnerable to a massive Sharran attack.

Don't forget the Simbul; she'll destroy everything in her path to rescue him. At this point, I could only see the Shades as being able to stop her. (After what she has done in Elminster in Hell).

Edited by - Skeptic on 23 Nov 2006 16:33:53
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  17:01:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow are we seriously getting ahead of ourselves. Its really hard to conjecture on what the second part of the adventure is about when the first adventure hasn't even come out yet. And the only thing we reall "know" from the back cover is Elminster's Tower is destroyed and that Shadowdale is taken over by Zhents . . . interesting, but we definately don't know for sure what is going on until we get more information.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  17:26:16  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I agree with KEJR, we really dont have enough facts.

It could mean that the Zhents took over because El and the other townsfolk left the dale for some reason, perhaps fleeing an iminant attack from Shade. I can just see the faces on the Zhents now..

"Weeee! We took Shadowdale finally - and it was Sooo Easy..."

"Um, Why is it dark durning the day all of a sudden... is there an eclipse...."

Enter, Shade attack.... dum da da dum....

I mean - if El knew there was going to be trouble (and you figure he Did know) then whats stopping him from emptying his tower himself - and hey - even colapsing it himself I suppose! Great way to disuade people from looking for y ou if they think you are dead already....

Anyway - it IS too early. I personally have never used Shadowdale nor Elminster in a game - so I could realistically use any outcome - But - I also somewhat liked the detante (sp?) he provided against Zhentish expansion into the Dales, as well as his particular form of wit. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  20:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually looking forward to the series of adventures coming along next year. They sound intresting and have a lot of good authors from what I've seen. Hoping for more infomation on them soon!

I agree with KEJR that it's too early to be negative about them too. I mean, so far all we have is the Blurb on the back and its meant to be dramatic and eyecatching.

Besides, I'm sure that our favourite Bardess will come out of this unharmed. Few Zhents should be no problem for Storm!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  05:08:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not so much the high level characters I worry about as the general feel of the region and the structure of Shadowdale itself. The same goes for the first part of the adventure series, with Cormyr and the weave. I am just tired of large scale conflicts and the changing of everything.

But then I dislike change and am a sworn pessimist, so I could very well be troubling myself for no reason.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  05:33:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thought emerges from the depths of mine mind: when we do see the death of Elminster, it'll most likely be in a novel by Ed, not a module that is apparently untouched by Ed.

Though I am still curious as to how El's tower gets trashed... And also, considering what we've read about the (lack of) organization within the tower, I wonder if El would even notice?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  05:35:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though I am still curious as to how El's tower gets trashed... And also, considering what we've read about the (lack of) organization within the tower, I wonder if El would even notice?

Heck, Elminster could be in an extradimentional space in the tower when its trashed and never notice what happened until he went back to whatever portal leads back to the Tower proper.

I could just see that one, "Oh very nice! I hope whoever ye are that saw fit to do this to my property have the wits and manners about ye to make sure that this mess gets cleaned up! I had everything just where I wanted it . . . "
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  11:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with KEJR, and I will expect until I have see more of this adventures, to take any position.

Heh, I remember when we first hear about Power of Faerūn. Even with Ed and Eric names in the tome, various scribes stay negative, in the begining... only to be "surprised" by an excellent tome.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  14:19:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm frankly looking forward to Shadowdale taking a beating. Its been fairly staid for awhile, I'd like to see a shakeup

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  21:29:29  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I'm frankly looking forward to Shadowdale taking a beating. Its been fairly staid for awhile, I'd like to see a shakeup

It was at least attacked during two RSE (Avatar crisis and Last Mythal Triology) both times by the Zhents. I'm not sure we needed a third one. BUT, since Eric's name is on the coverpage, I'll probably change my mind when I'll see the content.

Edited by - Skeptic on 24 Nov 2006 21:30:36
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  00:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Heh, I remember when we first hear about Power of Faerūn. Even with Ed and Eric names in the tome, various scribes stay negative, in the begining... only to be "surprised" by an excellent tome.

*shrug* I was the opposite...looked forward to the book, then was disappointed upon reading it.

There aren't enough facts yet to decide whether I'll like this book or not...but that doesn't mean I can't have an initial impression of it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  17:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I don't remember people being negative about PoF. Maybe I was caught up in my own excitement about it, but I thought most people were looking forward to it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  18:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Reefy, that was my impression as well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000