Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 What would you pick?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  12:58:22  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently in a dilemma. My budget is very low, and i want an spellcaster/red wizard,thay lore/play book.
And I can't decide between: Complete Arcane, Unapproachable East, or Magic of Faerun. (I dont care that Unapproachable East is 3.0)I already have DMG 3.5,MM 3.5,Draconicum, FRCS, PGtF, and Heroes of Battle.

Wich one would you pick?

Thanks in advance

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  13:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get Magic of Faerūn and download the Spellbound boxed set, or get Spellbound on ebay.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  13:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mace, if you're a player. If you are a DM preparing a campaign, I'd say go for Unapproachable East.
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  13:29:44  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.
What exactly is the spellbound boxed set and where would i download it?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  13:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

Thanks for the replies.

Its basicly the 2ed version of Unapproachable east

If its avaliable for free then you can download it from the Wizards site (Wooly will be along shortly to give you the link) If its pay pdf then you can buy it from the Pazio or RPGNOW websites for around 5 USD

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  14:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UE is a nice book, but like many of the 3.x stuff isn't really comprehensive as it deals with more on less pages. Plus if you can get the boxed set on ebay, you would have a bunch of maps etc.

I now have enough maps from boxed sets to plaster my living room with them...scary

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  15:46:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Thanks for the replies.

Its basicly the 2ed version of Unapproachable east

If its avaliable for free then you can download it from the Wizards site (Wooly will be along shortly to give you the link) If its pay pdf then you can buy it from the Pazio or RPGNOW websites for around 5 USD

Spellbound isn't available as a free download at WotC, unfortunately. You'll need to purchase it, as a PDF, from paizo.com for $4US. Nobleknight.com has second-hand print copies, if you'd prefer.

Also if you can find it, and for the sake of completeness, I'd also suggest you try and purchase Dreams of the Red Wizards -- either as a PDF from paizo.com or as a second-hand print copy from nobleknight.com.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Oct 2006 15:47:26
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  16:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or ebay...I made some killer bargains there

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  16:54:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unapproachable East is 3.5, not 3.0.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 22 Oct 2006 16:54:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  17:24:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

If its avaliable for free then you can download it from the Wizards site (Wooly will be along shortly to give you the link)

This link: the Wizards downloads page?

None of the named products are available for free from there... But Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is available from there. It's a 2nd edition source, but it's full of lore that can only help ground your character in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Oct 2006 17:25:50
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  21:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Go for the regional sourcebook every time Unapproachable East, without a doubt.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Alaundo (Go for the regional sourcebook every time)
Unapproachable East

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  00:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my regional sourcebooks, and am unhappy I've been starved of them since City of Splendors: Waterdeep, but in this case, I'd go with what Mace suggested.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:24:49  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for Spellbound and Unapproachable East. The former for the lore (as 2E products generally feature more lore than their 3E counterparts), the latter for the game info.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my "personal buy-list" will follow that order:

1) Magic of Faerūn, that“s the base of wizard character lore in the Realms.
2) Unapprocheable East is a good book to develop the background/knowledge of the character.
3) Complete Arcane, for it“s basic arcane utility
4) Spellbound, the full-of-lore 2nd edition tome.
5) Dreams of Red Wizards, if you want all, have all.

Do you have the Spell Compendium?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Get Magic of Faerūn and download the Spellbound boxed set, or get Spellbound on ebay.

I agree with Mace...but I would consider getting other 3.5 books instead...eithor Serpent Kingdoms (as it is almost a complete, stand alone book good for peeps with small collections of Realms materials) or Dragons of Faerun (as you have the Draconomicon already)

and if you want more books, look on Ebay (or other 'net sites) for bulk offers...you often can get alot of books really cheap that way

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  02:13:46  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go Magic of Faerun. Unless your campaign is in that region, then Unapproachable east might be more appropriate.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Vainelus
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  03:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Vainelus's Homepage Send Vainelus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
out of the choices you mentioned for a thayan character/spell caster I would go with unapproachable East.

If you are a Dungeon master, I would strongly recommend purchasing Lost Empires of Faerun. It has great information on the spellcasters and lost magics and can provide great campaigns investigating some lost sites/artifacts.

finally, if you have interest in rp/story the complete series has nothing of value. However, it does provided you with pages of feats and spells.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  20:25:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend downloading spellbound as others have. Just read the history/city/social classes and whatnot. Skip all the game rules, since with 2nd edition its basically a hugely different beast.

Then, that being said, it comes down to "Will your campaign be based in Thay or its environs?" If so, pick up Unapproachable East for the new prestige classes, spells, and updates that really help you flesh out the area in 3E.

If not, go with Magic of Faerun. It has a broader realmsian feel and might help your fellow players. Note, a lot of the prestige classes were revamped in PGtF.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  05:18:38  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd pick up Unapproachable East or Complete Arcane. I would not buy Magic of Faerūn at this time without a heavy discount, since the majority of its rules content has been since reprinted and updated to 3.5 in other sources, most notably Spell Compendium and Player's Guide to Faerūn.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice

Edited by - NiTessine on 26 Oct 2006 05:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  09:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm currently in a dilemma. My budget is very low, and i want an spellcaster/red wizard,thay lore/play book.
And I can't decide between: Complete Arcane, Unapproachable East, or Magic of Faerun. (I dont care that Unapproachable East is 3.0)I already have DMG 3.5,MM 3.5,Draconicum, FRCS, PGtF, and Heroes of Battle.

Wich one would you pick?

Thanks in advance

If you're intersted in rooting your character in Forgotten Realms, I'd say MoF or UE. But if you want to add a bit more crunchiness to your character, go with Complete Arcane.

So you as which would I pick; I always go for Forgotten Realms books before anything else.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 27 Oct 2006 09:22:35
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  10:58:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would agree with MerrikCale - buy MoF unless your campaign will take place in the particular region of the Unapproachable East. because otherwise, the sourcebook UE is not that much of use to you, IMO.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  22:59:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus I think Magic of Faeurn is one of the better sourcebooks.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  08:53:25  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my problem got solved last weekend, since my friend suddenly bought Complete Arcane. And they lowered MoF and UE in price. So I'm very happy now. I'l try and get spellbound.
Oh and btw, my campaign is running in Thay/Waterdeep.

Thanks to you all.

Edited by - shandiris on 02 Nov 2006 08:55:21
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  09:31:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well my problem got solved last weekend, since my friend suddenly bought Complete Arcane. And they lowered MoF and UE in price. So I'm very happy now. I'l try and get spellbound.
Oh and btw, my campaign is running in Thay/Waterdeep.

Thanks to you all.

Well well now! Thats news to me - there is a Thay in Waterdeep?

Glad to be of service to you, Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Nov 2006 09:32:17
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  09:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Thayan enclave prolly, and a very upset Khelben

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  10:16:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

[...]and a very upset Khelben

Well, that would be a matter on when the campaign takes place really....

(For anyone more interested check the thread for the Blackstaff-Novel in the Novels section.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000