Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Drow of the Underdark (2007 Product)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  18:09:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some excerpts from the product are up at WOTC's site now:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  18:18:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking through the ToC, I'm still interested in this one. I know that it can be used for Drow PCs, but it definately looks like most of this is geared towards using drow as really nasty villains in a campaign (hence why its kind of set up like the other "Expanded Monster" series books).

Several of the feats answer some problems that 3.5 created with they changed how some of the signature drow abilities work, so they definately appear to be useful (I may shift back from having my drow use Veil of Shadows instead of Darkness).

Since its a core book and not an FR one, I'll be interested in seeing how they flesh out Lolth's relationships with the other drow deities (there is a mention of Kiaraunsalee in the preview materal).

I'm not sure where they are going with the albino drow entry for the monsters. FR has had at least two albino drow that I can think of, but neither of them had any special traits other than their lack of pigments. I'm wondering if they are going for some kind of "malenti" thing here?

At any rate, I'll give it a look when it comes out, and it could be useful for fleshing out my City of the Spider Queen 3.5 conversions (someday I will run this thing, I swear!)
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  18:42:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Know what you mean KEJr, though some of the feats were, wth? to me, but I will reserve final judgement til after I have it in hand. And will most likely get it regards of how good or bad it is.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  19:00:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to reread the one that allows you to burn your Darkness ability to gain hide in plain sight, because for some reason, when I first read it, I kept thinking that they meant you couldn't hide in the concealment from your own darkness unless you did this . . . then it struck me that they mean that instead of causing darkness, you just go straight to hiding in plain sight without the telltale sign of darkness going off.

The faerie fire feats just look like an attempt to make the ability useful beyond the one use that everyone associates it with, which is kind of funny. "Well, I'd better outline this guy so I can keep track of him," says drow 1, "Well what else would you use it for," replies drow 2.

Not sure what the various "square switching" feats have to do with drow.

Knight of Lolth isn't going to be especially practical since most drow in FR ride lizards since spiders are too holy to use as mounts.

But as you say, it will be interesting to see what can be used out of here.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  23:17:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more bits about this book in the previews for this month:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20070503a

Since darkvision doesn't work like infravision used to, I'm wondering if Narbondel might have some kind of effect similar to Darkvision Powder now?
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  23:16:05  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The book isn't even out yet, and there is already an Errata out on it: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070504a

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  23:41:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to laugh at that too. I take it that the base creature made it in, but the example "advanced" creature was cut from the entry, but was still referenced.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  02:18:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I had to laugh at that too. I take it that the base creature made it in, but the example "advanced" creature was cut from the entry, but was still referenced.

Just shows that apparently the editors are taking nice long naps or something...

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  03:19:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what its worth, I kind of like the weird goblin things, and it gets back to the feeling that I've always gotten from Ed's work mentining drow, that being that they perform weird mutation and breeding experiments on their slaves and captives.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  13:36:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

The book isn't even out yet, and there is already an Errata out on it: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070504a

Unbelievable!!! But at least those buying the book know the errors in advance!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  16:51:00  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've had my copy since May 4th. It's pretty interesting, like all books some of it I will use, some of it I won't.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  17:12:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

Unbelievable!!! But at least those buying the book know the errors in advance!

I think its likely that it was not as much an error, as it was something lost in the shuffle. Its easy to overlook or forget something, particularly when you're in a hurry.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:34:33  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

quote:

I've had my copy since May 4th. It's pretty interesting, like all books some of it I will use, some of it I won't.

Interesting, since WotC books usually aren't out til the 2nd or 3rd week of the month. Sounds like a possible "street date" violation.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  22:54:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked this one up today. I've had a little time with it, but my initial impression is that I'm not disappointed with the purchase, though I've noticed a few oddities. Overall, I like the feats, spells, and monsters in it, and I think its handy to have "generic" stats for drow in various positions in an average house (there are stat blocks for various drow of different positions in drow society).

What's interesting to me is how drow society is presented in the book. Given that its a "core" book and not a FR book, and the fact that there is an overview of Ereli-Cinlu in the book, I was expecting a more "Greyhawk" view of drow. By that I mean that, way back in 1st edition, Lolth was listed as the primary dieity of the drow, and in the Queen of Spiders series, Lolth was dominant but the "Dark God" had a lot of followers in the Vault of the Drow as well.

Further, other 1st edition souces mentioned that while Lolth was the main goddess of the drow, many drow worshiped other archdevils and demon lords. So it kind of surprised me when the drow presented in the book are definately FR style drow. Lolth is all to them, and she is the only deity really detailed in the book (I'm sure I missed a few, but so far I've only found very fleeting references to Ghaunadaur, Vhearaun, and Kiaraunsalee).

And while its a core book and it wouldn't automatically be binding one way or another, for those keeping track, Lolth is still presented as an intermediate diety.

Other "halfway FR" oddities: There is a brief mention of the old elven myths referring to Lolth as Araushnee. Also, Hanali and the Seldarine are mentioned (I know, in 2nd edition these concepts weren't FR only, but in 3.5 "Core" they haven't been mentioned before).

One of the strange thigns about the drow creation myths and the information on Lolth, however, is that there is not reference to Lolth ever having been a demon lord/lady at all, and Yochlol's are mentioned as servants of Lolth "in the Forgotten Realms," even though they are mentioned in the Fiendish Codex I.

I like that they have given a place in drow society to warlocks, given their association with demons and the like.

There is also a sidebar at the end that updates half-drow and creates a regional feat for them specifically for FR half-drow.

I normally don't complain about artwork. If it doesn't do much for me, then it just doesn't. But some of this art, especially when the text is trying to play up how alluring the drow are, is just ugly. It doesn't match the feeling they are trying to convey.

One last oddity . . . albino drow are listed in the mosnters section, even though they litterally are just albinos. They have the exact same stats as drow, but without any pigment in their hair and skin (and red eyes, but they ARE drow). Does this mean that the Monster Manual V will have entries for albino dwarves, humans, halflings, elves, gnomes, etc? The cool thing is that at least they specifically mention Irae T'sarran in the entry.

Some examples? Long blocky faces, female drow with mullets, and (my least favorite) drow with World of Warcraft elf ears (seriously, this SHOULD NOT BE).

Especially if you are looking to use drow as villains, there is a lot to like in here. New poisons, magical poisons, some nasty PrCs that as a DM I want to use (but I'd pull my hair out if my players ever wanted to use). Lots of utilitarian spells and magic items.

I do wish that they had detailed a few other drow deities (Zinzerana is mentioned as a drow mythic hero). I would have liked to have seen a feat that allowed a drow to cast darkness at a distance (I wonder why) or a spell of the same. But overall, a lot to like in the book.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  23:18:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some examples? Long blocky faces, female drow with mullets, and (my least favorite) drow with World of Warcraft elf ears (seriously, this SHOULD NOT BE).

I've often wondered why some artists and games feel compelled to have elven ears that extend three feet beyond the elf's head...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  23:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dark God is T-------n: Lolth's big rival in Erelhei-Cinlu is the Elder Elemental God -- not the same, whatever Monte wrote. Non-demonic Lolth sounds bizarre.

Hypertrophied bunny antenna-ears must be one of the few bits of the Warcraft look not pilfered from Games Workshop. I guess they like them -- some kind of aesthetic gap.

I want to see the mullets. I saw a beautiful girl with a beautiful, sharp, graceful mullet in a Polish supermarket.

Edited by - Faraer on 09 May 2007 23:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  23:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One last oddity . . . albino drow are listed in the mosnters section, even though they litterally are just albinos. They have the exact same stats as drow, but without any pigment in their hair and skin (and red eyes, but they ARE drow). Does this mean that the Monster Manual V will have entries for albino dwarves, humans, halflings, elves, gnomes, etc?

That's absurd, and when you think about it, kind of offensive (that albinos are "different" and need to be distinguished from the "normal people").

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  00:05:38  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I've often wondered why some artists and games feel compelled to have elven ears that extend three feet beyond the elf's head...

Blame Anime for that. The super long ears on Elves is an Anime style.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  00:09:45  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definately have to agree with KEJR about the Art Department over at WotC.
The artwork in many of the books now is so horrid, it almost looks like I had attempted to make it.
Seems the only place that they really try for the good art anymore is on the cover.
Would be so nice if they would use more art from Todd Lockwood, Wayne Reynolds, Sam Woods, and many of the others that did the "iconic" art when 3E first came out.
Its not like they don't have a large talent pool to pull from, many of these same artists also do art for the Magic cards.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  15:11:30  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

One last oddity . . . albino drow are listed in the mosnters section, even though they litterally are just albinos. They have the exact same stats as drow, but without any pigment in their hair and skin (and red eyes, but they ARE drow). Does this mean that the Monster Manual V will have entries for albino dwarves, humans, halflings, elves, gnomes, etc?

That's absurd, and when you think about it, kind of offensive (that albinos are "different" and need to be distinguished from the "normal people").

I agree, this is one of the more tasteless things I have seen (or rather not seen as I have not read the book myself)in a D&D product for some time. Or thoughtless I should rather say. And a little strange as I would think there would be plenty of use for the space to detail other elements of the Drow. An attempt to tempt Elric fans perhaps?

As for the art thing, well 3ed. is not to my taste in that area. Not even Lockwood.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  15:54:55  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Drow?? I might get it for my 31st if I don't get it sooner. Can't wait to get my hands on that book.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  16:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the drow art is closer to albino than obsidian anyway.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  19:16:45  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't be til next Thursday before I get this, if even then broke my glasses last week so had to get new ones

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How else are you supposed to know that they're elves? :D
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  02:12:11  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found one thing that really really irks me about this book so far.
They are giving us a new Drow Language, instead of using/building on the one that was given in the original.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  06:04:59  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping they'd have the quagoths as a character race. trying to figure out what the racial bonuses to ablity scors would be. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  14:20:48  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think it's more of a marketing thing. You have to admit, the WoW thing is blowing up. So, maybe the artist, or the art director decided to go that way to try to sell more... Honestly, I agree with KEJr and Wooly, long ears =/= FR elves.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  14:29:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really surprised a few years back when I read an editorial by Erik Mona that mentioned that many of the people that work on WOTC products and Paizo's magazines actually don't know much about D&D. One of the reasons that the "iconics" were invented for Paizo was to have set visual reference without having to explain what an elf is suppose to look like, or a drow, etc.

So it may be that whoever that particular artist is, they may only be familiar with WoW elves . . . that having been said, that doesn't let the art director/editors off the hook when they recieve the piece.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  18:57:23  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can "live" with the 2-foot long ears, but I draw the line at the 2-foot long eyebrows.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  20:40:20  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh c'mon - Just because my blood elf has 2 ft long red eyebrows that twitch like a grasshopper. :) J/k

Re-rail topic:

Is this a general overview of the Drow? Are there any specific references to FR, or does it stick with the standard Greyhawk Canon? As Drow/Fey'ri are my favorite races, I need to know if I should pick this up.

C-Fb

P.s. - Back to my eyebrow ladies. :)

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000