Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Drow of the Underdark (2007 Product)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  01:14:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I saw this link on another site. Looks like we are getting another Drow of the Underdark book (though I suspect, like the Draconomicon before it, the 3.5 version is "core" rather than a FR supplement).

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978078694151/0786941510/Drow+Of+The+Underdark+A+Dd+Supplement

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  02:03:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping this is a working title...

It's hard enough at times to distinguish some discusses between the old Draconomicon and the 3.5e D&D book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  20:03:31  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm hoping this is a working title...

It's hard enough at times to distinguish some discusses between the old Draconomicon and the 3.5e D&D book.

Have to agree with you there.
Especially since the 2E product was a Realms book, while the 3E wasn't.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  01:54:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this even a WotC product?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  01:59:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the details on the site list the publisher as WOTC, and the authors would appear to be consistant to a WOTC product as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the final title, just as the Draconomicon was.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  02:01:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps not.

Though, and unless this is an error, it is referenced as a D&D supplement. However, both authors have done work on non-WotC products before, with Anthony Pryor apparently being the only one of the two to work on both TSR and WotC products.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  03:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its up on Amazon as well

http://www.amazon.com/Drow-Underdark-D-Supplement/dp/0786941510/sr=8-2/qid=1160448117/ref=sr_1_2/104-1482795-6759905?ie=UTF8&s=books

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  04:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talk about going to the well one too many times...

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  04:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The Chinese have 10- 12 names for there years (ie Rat, Monkey Dragon etc)

WOTC obviously decided they only need 2

Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  05:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, let's find our way back to the topic.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  06:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

The Chinese have 10- 12 names for there years (ie Rat, Monkey Dragon etc)

WOTC obviously decided they only need 2

Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow
Year of the Dragons
Year of the Drow

You forgot "Magic."

On a positive note, this could potentially be a good toolkit of sorts for DMs to adapt to FR.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  08:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isnt 2007 the Year of Dead Horses in the Roll of Years?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  11:08:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enough. Discuss the actual book, please.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  14:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It´s a very good new, and I will wait it eagerlly. And it will be better if the book is a generic one. This will left open space for us to see a future Drows of Faerűn.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  14:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad someone said it

but I also think the book wouldn't be that bad if (1) they made it a Forgotten Realms book, (2) if they actually (god forbid!) keep away from that old chestnut of Menzoberranzan and the Underdark of the North and cover other drow cities and cultures (I really enjoyed the 2E Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark for that reason) and (3) actually update the drow race after the WotSQ and justify why Lolth's transformation to greater goddess was such a big deal in the first place

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  02:52:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually don't mind if this is a Core book instead of a Forgotten Realms book. For one thing, while I like drow and using that particular element, I do get tired of FR being seen as the "drow setting" and a good general book about them might help to get people to see them in other settings and (hopefully) to see that there is a ton more to see in FR than drow.

I would like to see a better explanation of the test that drow used to take in the "old days." I know that it technically still happens, but in the old days it was all drow that get over X level, and if they failed, they turned into drider. Now its a bit hazzy who gets tested and why, what they get out if it, and why exactly some drow get turned into driders.

What I don't want to see is some of the issues that cropped up in the "Races of" books, where entire pantheons were reworked, and customs and practices were added to different races that were completely contradictory to previous edition versions of the same cultures. While it doesn't really affect the Realms one way or another, it does make it seem less useful if the cultures discussed in the book don't really resemble Realms cultures at all.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  14:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I actually don't mind if this is a Core book instead of a Forgotten Realms book. For one thing, while I like drow and using that particular element, I do get tired of FR being seen as the "drow setting" and a good general book about them might help to get people to see them in other settings and (hopefully) to see that there is a ton more to see in FR than drow.

I would like to see a better explanation of the test that drow used to take in the "old days." I know that it technically still happens, but in the old days it was all drow that get over X level, and if they failed, they turned into drider. Now its a bit hazzy who gets tested and why, what they get out if it, and why exactly some drow get turned into driders.

What I don't want to see is some of the issues that cropped up in the "Races of" books, where entire pantheons were reworked, and customs and practices were added to different races that were completely contradictory to previous edition versions of the same cultures. While it doesn't really affect the Realms one way or another, it does make it seem less useful if the cultures discussed in the book don't really resemble Realms cultures at all.

I know what you are saying...but we'll have to see if it will be a "draconomicon"-style or "Races of" style book...but in 3E, even if you don't count the Realmsian drow lore there is still a ton of drow info...I really don't see the need for a "drow" book other than WoTC R&D thinking what products will hook the younglings, newbies and RAS fans the easiest

have you ever read that arcticle in Dragon #298 about the different tests of Drow life? it's not that bad

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  15:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy . . . another drow/Underdark book.

I think I'll pass. The Year of the Drow (since 2002) feels like its never really going to end.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 14 Oct 2006 15:16:08
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  16:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
The answer is to use the older book's full title, including the FOR1 product code!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  16:37:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that's true, most posters aren't always aware of the older product codes. And judging from experiences on the WotC boards, some still have problems noting that these codes refer to specific FR 1e/2e sources.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  18:45:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't this make you feel old Sage (applies to yours truly as well)

In a way I hope it will be a generic product, current 3e and 3.5e FR products have covered the drow more or less - and let's not forget the novels. Unless, for the current 'young' generation of FR fans WotC decides it is commercially time to revisit Menzo et. al. I hope it will remain some time before we see 'Drow of Faerun' announced as companion volume to 'Drow of the Underdark 2007'
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2006 :  01:41:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Doesn't this make you feel old Sage (applies to yours truly as well)
Indeed, it does.

quote:
In a way I hope it will be a generic product, current 3e and 3.5e FR products have covered the drow more or less - and let's not forget the novels.
That's a good point.

And when you consider these sources alongside the 2e FR sources on drow, which again includes novels printed during the days of TSR, you do begin to realise just how extensive the lore on drow and the Underdark is for the FR setting. Enough, hopefully, to convince WotC to instead concentrate on other areas/aspect of the Realms that have never received much attention in any edition.

I'm not sure whether I will purchase this. In a way, I'm almost of the same opinion as the Lady K above. Neither the Underdark nor the Drow have ever really featured heavily in any campaign I've ran, so it's not really material I'll make extensive use of. If I do buy it, the book may end up just sitting on the same shelf that holds the 3.5e Draconomicon... collecting dust.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Oct 2006 01:42:41
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2006 :  02:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is another book Ill probably pass on, its going to be totally generic with no realms stuff and its going to focus on specfic sub race that weve already got plenty of info on

The only info we really need on Faerunian drow is the state of their cities post WOSQ

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2006 :  15:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update for the status of the various deities of the Dark Seldarine post-WotSQ would be nice also.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  09:20:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit that this product does not especially tempt me as I have enough information about Drow to last me a lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  11:57:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Jorkens here. "No Drow no more" I say, when it comes to sourcebooks.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2006 :  12:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
theres proberly more drow to go around allready than any other races ... with the 'small' races even together ... give us another thing ... drows are boring and stereotypic

i know for sure that i wouldn't buy it ... basicly because drows never even remotely interested me, proberly because it have been tied up on young roleplayers that think they know anything ... and then only know something about drows because they threwed though a couple of books

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  18:23:50  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for an FR player, this may be useless especially if they have Underdark and older drow materials.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... and may be not, specially if the book came full of lore, good ideas, and interesting plots.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

... and may be not, specially if the book came full of lore, good ideas, and interesting plots.

I agree...but then again, with a large library of 1E and 2E material I didn't find the Draconomicon that original...it was mostly a 3E conversion manual to me (with nice pictures)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  15:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originality, basically, is defined by the degree of sucess that an old concept is remodeled.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000