Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Steamier Side of the Realms (PG-13)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  19:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ok, a friend asked me to ask this in Candlekeep, it's a bit of a tongue-in-cheek question (and you younger players, maybe you should go read another thread )

Has anyone actually role played a clergy of Sharess (speciality priest, crusader, cleric, favored soul, etc.)?

Have you had a PC in your party that was a priest/priestess of Sharess?

Have you ever DMed a NPC Clegy of Sharess?

Does anyone take the whole Sharess faith/church seriously in their campaigns?

I still can remember the look on my friend's face when he first read the 2E Warriors and Priests of the Realms description of the Crusader and the bard "going to look for a crusader of Sharess"

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  19:26:26  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played a Cleric of Sharess before, online at least. He was one of my favorite characters; he sought basically to make everyone feel as good as possible.

I really don't see why it should be taken as a joke, considering that Sharess's dogmas are rather close to those of some real philosophical schools (one of which is my favorite - Epicureanism).

And, if you think about it, everyone is really already doing whatever makes them feel the best (emotionally, spiritually, physically, or whatnot) in any given situation.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  19:27:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd play a PC of Sharess, if the DM and the PC's would allow it.

I have a PC of Sharess in my email game, the logs are stored here on Keep. However, the PC's and I decided to keep it mostly fade to black or G/PG, except for private logs. :)

I've run NPC's of Sharess all the time and as many here on Keep know, I ask about her and Lliira all the time.

Yes, I take it serious because FR has more relaxed issues with sex/sensuality/etc then most modern places of Earth do. And a lot of people in FR enjoy those types of pleasures.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  19:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'v only known one person personally that played a Priestess of Sharess, but it was in her original Bast aspect (she was a cat lover )

I take the faith seriously...I agree that in the Realms they are not as uptight about the faith or their services (no irony or pun intended) so I run the faith of Sharess seriously...

but alot of the PCs I'v DMed...I wouldn't let them take a priest of Sharess...the game would never get anywhere

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  20:48:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I have never roleplayed a follower of Sharess, I will claim credit for sneaking the closest thing to an X-rated spell into an official D&D product. ;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  20:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

While I have never roleplayed a follower of Sharess, I will claim credit for sneaking the closest thing to an X-rated spell into an official D&D product. ;-)

--Eric

what spell was that?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  21:12:32  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Intensify Sensation? 3rd level, I believe?

:D

Or was it the 7th level one that effectively functioned as a short-term Limited Wish that fulfilled the target's deepest desires?

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 28 Sep 2006 21:13:06
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  02:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:

--Eric

what spell was that?

I bet you it was a Bigby spell!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  12:31:25  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

Just have to hope it's a cantrip
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  13:24:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Or was it the 7th level one that effectively functioned as a short-term Limited Wish that fulfilled the target's deepest desires?

The first one.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  14:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The first one.

--Eric

Hmmm...can you prolong the duration through a metamagic feat?

Another business venue for the Red Wizards... a ring of stamina (only works in special circumstances)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  15:50:20  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never played a cleric of Sharess per se', but in an old home-brew world that we used to play in, we had a goddess named Desire who is almost identical to Sharess. We were very big on role-playing and were all adults, so all of our characters were played to the hilt. The most interesting part of playing a cleric of Desire was that you had access to virtually free spells. There were spells that you memorized, but certain sexual acts would produce spell-like abilities "free of charge." As I recall, nibling an ear was bless, an extended "french kiss" could slow poison, and oral sex performed for 30 or more rounds provided the effects of a heroe's feast. As I type, I recall many other 'sacred rituals,' but will hold my tongue, unless asked further.

For the record, these sorts of rites were available to other priests as well, but this is a thread about Sharess, not Tempus. Further, these rites were seldom performed on players, if a bit more frequently on characters and NPC's.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  15:51:01  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an adventuring party of mine encounter an entire band of Sharessian priestesses. They had been kicked out of Zhentil Keep by the Cyricisists when they declared Cyric to be the sole divine patron of the city just before it's destruction.

The Sharessians had no wilderness skills and no idea where they should head to. My PC's came accross them in the wilderness of western Teshendale. The PC's took it upon themselves to guide the priestesses (and their final remaining eunich harem guard) to safety - it was literly like herding cats. :-)

Eventually, the PC's got the priestesses through Daggerdale and down to Tilverton. By that point, they'd had enough and let the Purple Dragons worry about the ladies. It was lots of fun.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  15:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

I had an adventuring party of mine encounter an entire band of Sharessian priestesses. They had been kicked out of Zhentil Keep by the Cyricisists when they declared Cyric to be the sole divine patron of the city just before it's destruction.

The Sharessians had no wilderness skills and no idea where they should head to. My PC's came accross them in the wilderness of western Teshendale. The PC's took it upon themselves to guide the priestesses (and their final remaining eunich harem guard) to safety - it was literly like herding cats. :-)

Eventually, the PC's got the priestesses through Daggerdale and down to Tilverton. By that point, they'd had enough and let the Purple Dragons worry about the ladies. It was lots of fun.

that was a really good adventure idea

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kaewin
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  00:55:32  Show Profile Send Kaewin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never played in a cleric of Sharess, but I played in a game where one of the guys was a priest. But everytime he tried to engage a female in an expression of pleasure the dm made a cat wander in his path or climb into his lap. It lost most of the interest for him. But of course it could have gone into real lampoon with my group.

Magic is not for Parlor Tricks. ~Sparrow Moros, Second Degree Master
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  04:28:48  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually had my Cleric use the Intensify Sensation spell, Eric.

Of course, said also Cleric ended up Flamestriking himself in a suicidal fit of rage and grief, ending his career.

Anyway, thank you, Eric. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  10:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the campaign I'm running, one of the PCs has just taken their first level in the Celebrant of Sharess PrC. That levelling-up coincided with the group's return from weeks in a stinking jungle and a Yuan-Ti prison, and one of the first things she did back in civilisation was have her way with a stable boy - that certainly got Sharess' attention.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  11:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

quote:

The first one.

--Eric

Another business venue for the Red Wizards... a ring of stamina (only works in special circumstances)

Metamagic: Extend....what?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:30:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Intensify Sensation? 3rd level, I believe?

<<Hmmm...can you prolong the duration through a metamagic feat?

Oh man.... Delay spell... And, of course, only high priests can make it contingent.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  14:44:22  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

quote:

quote:

quote:

The first one.

--Eric

Do you reallt need an explanation?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  15:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

quote:

quote:

quote:

The first one.

--Eric

Actually, wasn't this type of spell covered in the unofficial third-party "sex sourcebook for RPGs"?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  16:30:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did you even read that? I never saw it, I thought it was just a myth...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  18:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Actually, wasn't this type of spell covered in the unofficial third-party "sex sourcebook for RPGs"?

[/quote]

I'm going to regret this, but which one?

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  19:01:17  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

How did you even read that? I never saw it, I thought it was just a myth...

I've read that book it's a waste of money. You'd never imagine how some spells can be used.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  19:15:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are talking about the Book of Erotic Fantasy, it's really not as bad as the comments about it said it was. I have a copy and I've made use of some of the material within it, more then once.

The breeding/offspring chapter is pretty good and sometimes the sexual diseases could be interesting plot hooks when you got someone like Talona running around. Of course, so are the ideas for the sexual items, etc.

Shrug. I say bravo for them having the guts to write a sourcebook dealing with sex/sensuality/pleasure.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  19:28:14  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe for you, but for my PCs it would be an evening of uncontrollable laughter

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  19:38:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

Maybe for you, but for my PCs it would be an evening of uncontrollable laughter

Well, I was specifically talking to you, which is why I made a general post. However, this always depends on how the DM uses such info. I don't see why there would be uncontrollable laughter when discussing how long some races are pregnate (which that book has a nice interesting chapter on), or that some festhalls have rumors of a sexual disease that has shut it down or is spreading through the races, or some of the races, that have visited there, etc.

But if that is how your players react, then so be it. However, FR is a very sexual active world and so some of the material is very useful. Ever the FRCS has contraceptives, which are also detailed in the 3rd party book. And on the other side of the coin, it's nice to see some aphrodisiacs to go with the contraceptives.

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Oct 2006 19:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  19:46:44  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, though to my PCs (not all of them) stuff from the book (also not all, there are some useful things) would be like adding ''gasoline on fire'' (I'm not sure if that's appropriate phrase). But that's an internal problem.

Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  20:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

If you are talking about the Book of Erotic Fantasy, it's really not as bad as the comments about it said it was. I have a copy and I've made use of some of the material within it, more then once.

The breeding/offspring chapter is pretty good and sometimes the sexual diseases could be interesting plot hooks when you got someone like Talona running around. Of course, so are the ideas for the sexual items, etc.

Shrug. I say bravo for them having the guts to write a sourcebook dealing with sex/sensuality/pleasure.

There is also that Nymphology 'sourcebook'...similiar to the BoEF in some ways but focuses on the arcane.

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  20:05:27  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also to add to this I'd rather avoid telling to PCs that (for example) dwarves are provided a manual of sex positions when they are young, that all elves are bisexual (I'm not trying to offend anyone), that gnomes like toys, that amongst halflings homosexuality is fairly common and sex between relatives (disgusting) that ogre mages are sadomasochists and about necrophilia (undead) thing. So I think that the book shouldn't contained such things, others you've mentioned are quite useful.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  20:15:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkael

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There is also that Nymphology 'sourcebook'...similiar to the BoEF in some ways but focuses on the arcane.

Nymphology was a bit juvenile for my tastes, but it was meant to be that way so that's fine. It was more tongue-in-cheek then the BoEF.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000