Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Is Code of the Harpers worth it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  20:36:24  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is buying a used copy of the Code of the Harpers worth $20-$30? if so, why?



When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  20:48:25  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the history of the Harpers that hasn't really been detailed in 3/3.5e sourcebooks, like the Harpstar Wars or the founding, then the refounding, etc.

The NPC's that are in there that aren't in current material.

The codes/trail signs/etc that are not in current material.

The passages that show what a Harper's life is like from day to day.

So yes, it's worth it. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Sep 2006 21:22:53
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  20:49:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would say the Code of the Harpers is among the most useful Realms source books lore-wise, so if you think that's an acceptable price for a good source book I would buy it. You could always get the book as a PDF, but the paper version is always the best in my opinion.

Why it is worth it? To me a whole book of Ed detailing the Harpers as an organisation and its history is a treasure chest for a dedicated Realms-fan.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  21:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be off topic but I would love to hear more about the Harpstar wars. On on the edge of my seat. Plus I think Code of the Harpers is worth buying. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  23:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was an excellent book when/if you are playing AD&D 2E

for 3E it is still pretty good...mostly for the Harper canon...like said above 3E/3.5E hasn't really touched it yet...but the rest has been updated/replaced in 3E

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  00:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a beautiful book, truly. If your a Harper Fan (and youve got the cash spare ) then I would go for it. I know I definatly would for that price.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  00:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a very useful book for Harper lore. Buy it if you think the price is reasonable. I have it as a pdf.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31691 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:41:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

For the history of the Harpers that hasn't really been detailed in 3/3.5e sourcebooks, like the Harpstar Wars or the founding, then the refounding, etc.

The NPC's that are in there that aren't in current material.

The codes/trail signs/etc that are not in current material.

The passages that show what a Harper's life is like from day to day.

So yes, it's worth it. :)

With all this, and the fact that it's written by Ed... yes, it is indeed worth it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  10:05:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I call this book one of my collection. It is very interesting to read lore-wise, but as all books of such type it is also very specific. I would recommand a purcise only if you intent to run an extencive campaign around harpers. If so - the price you named is reasonable and worth the content, IMO.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 25 Sep 2006 10:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  13:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I did part of the translation for the FRCS, I got a German copy of the book, it is nice to have, but 20-30$...umm...no, wait until you find it on ebay, it is not worth that much money.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  14:22:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It worth every cent! One of my most used books (in all my 15 years as a Realms DM, always I have one player Harper)! The harper lore in that tome is excellent!

I recomend it!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  17:18:43  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

When I did part of the translation for the FRCS, I got a German copy of the book, it is nice to have, but 20-30$...umm...no, wait until you find it on ebay, it is not worth that much money.



$20-$30 for a 2E Realms Book, especially if it is in good-excellent shape, is a great price.

Also keep in mind this is the biggest single source of Harper Information out there, until a 3E book gets done (not likely from what we keep hearing, or if it is done, we'll get maybe 5 pages...).

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  17:35:13  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

When I did part of the translation for the FRCS, I got a German copy of the book, it is nice to have, but 20-30$...umm...no, wait until you find it on ebay, it is not worth that much money.



$20-$30 for a 2E Realms Book, especially if it is in good-excellent shape, is a great price.

Also keep in mind this is the biggest single source of Harper Information out there, until a 3E book gets done (not likely from what we keep hearing, or if it is done, we'll get maybe 5 pages...).



Have to agree with Warlocko, 20 to 30 isn't that bad for a 2e sourcebook considering it originally came out for 20, so that's only, if it's 30, ten dollars more then it was originally. I paid way more for a lot of the 2e material for FR, Planescape, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer.

Also, I'll add to my above list, it's got some good lore on the Heralds and the split from the Harpers.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31229 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  17:58:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always drop $4 on the pdf, and see if you like the book. Then, if you think it's worthwhile, spring for the print copy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  20:01:33  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You could always drop $4 on the pdf, and see if you like the book. Then, if you think it's worthwhile, spring for the print copy.



Yep always that too.

Speaking of PDFs, one of my friends found one for On Hallowed Ground for me.
Its not a great PDF, but since I never had a chance to get the book, it was a great find.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31691 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  00:59:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

When I did part of the translation for the FRCS, I got a German copy of the book, it is nice to have, but 20-30$...umm...no, wait until you find it on ebay, it is not worth that much money.



$20-$30 for a 2E Realms Book, especially if it is in good-excellent shape, is a great price.

Also keep in mind this is the biggest single source of Harper Information out there, until a 3E book gets done (not likely from what we keep hearing, or if it is done, we'll get maybe 5 pages...).



Have to agree with Warlocko, 20 to 30 isn't that bad for a 2e sourcebook considering it originally came out for 20, so that's only, if it's 30, ten dollars more then it was originally. I paid way more for a lot of the 2e material for FR, Planescape, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer.
Well, I've seen printed copies of CotH, here in Australia, which are available for $60+ AUS -- I've not seen them any cheaper than that anywhere here. In fact, it's one of the more expansive 2e FR books you can purchase here.

quote:
Also, I'll add to my above list, it's got some good lore on the Heralds and the split from the Harpers.
As well, Harper specific magic and magic-items.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  08:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Admittedly, I paid 70 for Temple of Elemental Evil...I wouldn't pay that much anymore for any used supplement...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  09:15:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Admittedly, I paid 70 for Temple of Elemental Evil...I wouldn't pay that much anymore for any used supplement...



OUCH that is alot.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  10:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Admittedly, I paid 70 for Temple of Elemental Evil...I wouldn't pay that much anymore for any used supplement...



OUCH that is alot.



Hence me saying I wouldn't pay that much for CotH. Especially since I paid only 99 pence each for Cloak&Dagger, Secrets of the Magister, Drow of the Underdark (for a buddy), Draconomicon, and the first Elminster's Ecologies appendix.

Guess that makes up for an overpriced ToEE...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  14:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand
Hence me saying I wouldn't pay that much for CotH. Especially since I paid only 99 pence each for Cloak&Dagger, Secrets of the Magister, Drow of the Underdark (for a buddy), Draconomicon, and the first Elminster's Ecologies appendix.

Guess that makes up for an overpriced ToEE...



*cough* understatement

most I ever paid for anything is the 4th Bloodstone module..mint condition for $90 american (which was around $120 canadian)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 26 Sep 2006 14:27:53
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2006 :  01:52:06  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a decent used copy from Amazon for $20 and I like it.



When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000