Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Underdark Exits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  02:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anybody knew or had a list of the entrinces/exits to the Underdark. I need to so my story has some kind of realisium to it.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  06:27:51  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

I was wondering if anybody knew or had a list of the entrinces/exits to the Underdark. I need to so my story has some kind of realisium to it.

I don't have a complete and accurate list, but I can provide three:

Menzoberranzan has one famous entrance, near Mithal Hall, but I have a hunch you're looking for something nearer the surface, like the cave Drizzt came out of when he first caem to the surface.

Another is through the Gold Dwarf realm in the Great Rift (under the Shaar). To get to this entrance, you have to pass through the Gold Dwarf holdings of Deep Realm, and Gold Dwarves are none too keen on letting non-Dwarves deep into their realms.

The third is through Skullport, under Waterdeep. This would be the easiest to get into, assuming you regard travelling in Skullport as easy. At least you don't have to bribe/bluff/beg/fight/sneak your way through an entire Dwarven kingdom.

I suppose there is probably also one in Cormanthor somewhere, but I don't know for sure.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  02:33:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get a copy of Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. All of the city write-ups have detailed entrance/exit sections.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  10:25:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other alternative is just make some locations up. Put them in places that you find convenient for your story. Such place are easy to justify since the continent of Faerun is not geologically stable and is prone to earthquakes. New exits and entrances are probably created every single time the earth above the Underdark moves.

It is also reasonable to assume that it is impossible to locate and record every single exit and entrance across the entire Realms, so undiscovered access ways probably exist in multitudes.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  18:36:42  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Making up stuff is not very "Sage of Realms Lore"-like.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  19:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

Making up stuff is not very "Sage of Realms Lore"-like.

LOL! You tell 'im branmakmuffin!!

I cant recall where it was at the moment but im pretty sure I remember a product somewhere listing numerous (not all of course) passages leading to the Underdark. Obviously there are many more than the major known ones listed, but others such as the one where Liriel emerges are likely not to be recorded in any sourcebooks. So I guess the Sage of Perth is right in what he says

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  10:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can also add something in that was dug. Like a mine that dug too deep and broke into the upper Underdark. Or a large burrowing beast accidentally doing the opposite -- comming up too high. Not necessarily all the way to the surface, but close enough to break into a cave or something. There was a creature like that in Exile, but I can't remember what it was called.

And there's also an opening that isn't used for good reason. Perhaps it opens into the lair of a dragon. Things like that.

And you should NEVER be afraid to make things up! The mark of a true sage, in this case, would be making something that makes sense and fits well. Not one that's too hidebound to do the same.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  14:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

You can also add something in that was dug. Like a mine that dug too deep and broke into the upper Underdark.

::gasp!:: goddesses forbid! do not speak of such evil!

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2003 :  23:55:51  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Afraid to make things up"? I never implied that making things up was in any way undesireable.

This forum is called "Sages of Realms Lore".

I think that's pretty self-explanatory.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2003 :  00:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm? [Bookwyrm looks up.] Oh, my appologies. I hadn't noticed the room I was in. I had thought you were making a poke at Sage of Perth because of his name.

My statement still stands. Although I have to say I wasn't acusing you of anything.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  12:49:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously my choice of avatars is not the only problem that I have caused.

Sorry people.

Anyway, I think I have a listing of both official and fan-created entrances and exits lying around here somewhere from the Underdark Campaign that I ran recently. I'll have to check my notebooks, and when I find it I'll post it here.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  01:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to nitpick, but this was said earlier:

quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin:

The third is through Skullport, under Waterdeep. This would be the easiest to get into, assuming you regard travelling in Skullport as easy. At least you don't have to bribe/bluff/beg/fight/sneak your way through an entire Dwarven kingdom.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the entrance to the Underdark in Skullport was sealed...or was it the Undermountain...noit entirely sure.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 20 May 2003 01:52:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:52:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't find the list.

I can't find the notebook either, and that worries me. I had some great stuff in that book.

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the entrance to the Underdark in Skullport was sealed...or was it the Undermountain...noit entirely sure.
I think I remember reading that somewhere as well. I am 90% sure that you are correct Edain, but I'll consult the books anyway just to be sure.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  20:56:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Moonrise,

I also recommend, oddly enough, the
quote:
Sea of Fallen Stars
accessory. It has some amazing deep sea Underdark references!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000