Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Request for info towards Book O' Ye Stout Ones...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  19:48:21  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

Firstly, Alaundo
a: I hope this is the correct area for this subject.
b: I hope none of the official designers mind.
c: Any help would be greatly recieved.

I have decided after much thought to go ahead and start an un-official book on dwarves in The Forgotten Realms.

I intend fully to ask permission to re-use facts already published by WotC and the games designers, so as to not stand on any toes. When this monumental project is finished I will be submitting it to WotC to do with as they will, It will also be on download on t'internet.

The book shall cover the following areas:

Dwarven Races & sub-races,
Dwarven realms history,
Abilities:
Regions:
Social structure:
Clans:
Kingdoms old and new or reclaimed:
Magic:
Artifacts:
Culture:

and a lot more besides.

I am asking anyone who may read this to submit to me your ideas on new PrC Class's, Historical Events, Any Dwarven infomation in relation to The Realms you may find or come across.
Info that you have found will be given due credit, this is a collective effort not a singular endevor!!

I hope many of you can help out.

Thanks in advance,

Bjorn Delzounblood.

I'm Back!

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  20:45:30  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had a thought ...... You all can e-mail me at work on info@tkx-uk.com (it's my own business so it's ok) with the more indepth ideas or bulk material or otherwise please just post.

I know people say do not hand out personal info but it's my work email so no probs....

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  21:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you need to start with the basics and find all the source material (references, canon, etc.) on dwarves in the Realms in all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Ed. Realms Products...

I would love to help out but I have my own (neglected) project but it is somewhat parellel to yours...so if I have the time I will

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  18:52:45  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Ed. Realms Products...

I would love to help out but I have my own (neglected) project but it is somewhat parellel to yours...so if I have the time I will

Thanks I would appreciate the help, I am sourcing all versions of DND and FR but it's a long haul

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  20:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood
Thanks I would appreciate the help, I am sourcing all versions of DND and FR but it's a long haul

No problem...

I don't have ready access to the internet on the weekends but I will mail your private email address to compare resources we have and split up the work load

I figure the novels will be much difficult than the RPGs iformation sources

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 09 Sep 2006 20:06:05
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  20:55:41  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kalin, The more help and info we recieve the better. I realise this is a hugh task given time constraints but I will keep going.........and going............and going

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  17:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For an overview of dwarf history be sure to check out Xoth Jaolor which can be found here http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/temporum/dwarves.htm Every event is official so feel free to use it in your history section if you wish.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  22:27:44  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian I'll check into that..

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  11:57:13  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been working on my book and I currently working on Prestige Class's.
Has there been any published work on DWARVEN KNIGHTS. I ask because with so many Dwarven Kingdoms, both present and past surely there have been some.
I had hoped that the Dwarven Defender was not the only Knight type of PrC for Dwarves.
I have vauge ideas of a Squad of Dwarven Knights riding in to battle on War Boars! maybe a Paladin or two on Dire Boar steeds?
Let me know what you find or any ideas on a PrC creation....
Tiptop.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  14:28:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the "Affiliated Orders" in the various dwarven deity write-ups by Eric Boyd in the FR product "Demihuman Deities".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  14:54:26  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, Every time I start my project I have another idea which causes yet more research and so on, But thanks for the help.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only mounted dwarf warrior prestige class I can think off is the Skyguard, who ride flying creatures to patrol the sky above the Great Rift. The other dwarf warrior prestige classes I can remember are the Battlerager and one that's specific to Citadel Abdar.

What I'd suggest is not to worry too much about it. Having tiny groups of warriors all doing their own thing is an elvish idea, and they're welcome to it. Most dwarven variants on a standard fighter would probably be peculiar to the place they come from, and reflect the particular needs of that place. So the Great Rift needs some way to contest the skies above it, and they have the Skyguard. Others might need giant killers, or whatever the local threat is. It might work best as a substitution level, at 2nd level, replacing the normal fighter bonus feat with a favoured enemy bonus similar to a ranger's but specific to the threat that the particular group of dwarves faced.

You might find Champions of Valor useful, as it has some substitution levels for various dwarf deities - such as the Valkyries of Berronar. They give a bit of dwarven flavour to what is otherwise a normal PC.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My current campaign is all dwarf party trying to reclaim The Wailing Dwarf. They are not close to it yet (it's more of a long term goal), but if I were in that area doing that at the moment (it wont be till next year that they will be there) I would have been able to help out with that one. Gosh darnit.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:32:21  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

My current campaign is all dwarf party trying to reclaim The Wailing Dwarf. They are not close to it yet (it's more of a long term goal), but if I were in that area doing that at the moment (it wont be till next year that they will be there) I would have been able to help out with that one. Gosh darnit.

You still prob will be able too, the more I look at this the bigger it gets. The big unknown is a lot of the old kngdoms history, but I am finding bit's here a there.

I keep plugging away at it but I'm doing this in my spare time and with a 13 week old son I don't have that much!!!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  15:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You still prob will be able too, the more I look at this the bigger it gets. The big unknown is a lot of the old kngdoms history, but I am finding bit's here a there.

I keep plugging away at it but I'm doing this in my spare time and with a 13 week old son I don't have that much!!!

my hobby project involves My version of Realms history, the Creator Races and the Upper Delimbyir Vale, which I finally getting back on track...when I started it I went through every soursebook I have looking for any info in the Delimbyr region and took notes...

That gets pretty tedious but once it is done the rest flows more smoothly...you just need that source/reference list and a table of contents/term of reference to know what you are looking for

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  21:29:17  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

my hobby project involves My version of Realms history, the Creator Races and the Upper Delimbyir Vale, which I finally getting back on track...when I started it I went through every soursebook I have looking for any info in the Delimbyr region and took notes...

That gets pretty tedious but once it is done the rest flows more smoothly...you just need that source/reference list and a table of contents/term of reference to know what you are looking for

Any chance you could send me a mail of info you think could be relevant to mt book??
If yes pm me for my email add

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  21:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any chance you could send me a mail of info you think could be relevant to mt book??
If yes pm me for my email add

PM sent

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  22:40:17  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bluenose,

Sorry somehow missed your post!!! blame it on to many sleepless nights!

Thanks for the input, What I'm trying to do is give a few different options as PrC's the main reason being the stereotype view people have over dwarves, The whole book is going to be an eye opener to the players out there who consider a dwarf to be a short but tough battle tank!
I want people to see many different sides to our stout friends. Think more Fret, Pikel and Pwent than Breunor Battlehammer and Dagnabit (RAS please no offence meant. You are a damn good writer), The mounted knight was a thought I was following up. "Dwarven Knights mounted on Dire Boars, defending Delzoun"

So thanks and keep the ideas/cannon coming.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  07:59:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the fine line one must draw between variation and the "facts" that cliche's are based on. Dwarven Deep should be used as the base to build upon as its the most thorough work on the faerunian dwarves to date, with Dwarves Handbook for 2ed., Rockhome for Mystara and dwarven kingdoms of Krynn having some nice details.

Among these there are hog-riding dwarves in the Dwarves Handbook that could be the basis for what you are thinking of. One thing though, thinking about the terrain and climate of the northern mountains I am wondering if boars would be the dwarves first choice. The old dwarves of Shanathar would maybe use boars, but wouldn't cave lizards (underground)and maybe some creature (goats comes to mind, but it would look a little strange) more fitting for climbing being used on the outside?

This project is a delight to me Delzounblood, there has been to little focus on dwarves lately.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  10:02:17  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good points Jorkins, but as I hve said this is a working project and any help or input from others is alwasys good

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  10:11:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I did not mean that as a case against new ideas and input, it was just a small vote for keeping with the traditional picture of the dwarves. Exceptions are useful, but they should be just that. PS, do you have the Complete Book of Dwarves for 2ed; most of the kits there could be developed into prestige classes within the "cliches" to give them some more variations.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  10:28:47  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh don't get me wrong I understand your point. My point re stereotypes ( we all love dwarves for the typical picture of them) I was intending to build on that, not wipe it out!

And no unfortunatly a good few years ago "I SOLD all my DND and 2e books" I know how stupid am I!!!! but I am buying all I can find (secondhand) and downloading as many PDF as poss.
If you are feeling so kind as to:
A: want to offer your old source books to a good cause (ME) I would be greatfull.
B: Or let me buy them if in reasonable conditon.
C: if you have any downloads on PDF to send me.

I am basically starting my collection from scratch again. I used to have every single published piece of FR / AD&D Products, Built up over some time...

Now I have but a few new books and waiting on more coming that I have managed to buy..

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  10:34:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sorry, but there's no chance of me ever giving up my books. RPG Now has most of the older books as rather cheap downloads.

I will come with suggestions when I can and good luck with this project, you are a braver man (or dwarf) than me.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  10:43:29  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fully understand re your books. I sooooo wish I had not given up mine!!!!

This project is massive but I WILL prevail, Thank you for your support!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bluenose,

Sorry somehow missed your post!!! blame it on to many sleepless nights!

Thanks for the input, What I'm trying to do is give a few different options as PrC's the main reason being the stereotype view people have over dwarves, The whole book is going to be an eye opener to the players out there who consider a dwarf to be a short but tough battle tank!
I want people to see many different sides to our stout friends. Think more Fret, Pikel and Pwent than Breunor Battlehammer and Dagnabit (RAS please no offence meant. You are a damn good writer), The mounted knight was a thought I was following up. "Dwarven Knights mounted on Dire Boars, defending Delzoun"

So thanks and keep the ideas/cannon coming.

How about "knights" mounted on some sort of burrowing animal? Bursting out of walls or floors into the middle of a goblin warband seems like a dwarves idea of fun, even if burrowing through rock is slightly peculiar. You'll probably need to breed your Giant War Moles first.

Another thought is that if you're planning to cover the dwarves of Chult, they might be dinosaur riders. A dwarf mahout and his triceratops with their riders might be fun to encounter.

On a different tack, I see you plan on doing something about magic and artifacts. How about non-magical crafts and equipment? There's certainly things to be said there, if only about the sort of traps and defences dwarves use to defend their homes.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:00:43  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bluenose, I'm already thought of an engineering section in my book, This will cover everything from Traps to Fort builds and defences.....

Giant War Moles Hmmmmmm................

Large animal
8 hit dice
claw attack
burrowing...
Mole skin trousers.....

Yep a lot to think about

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the problem with any idea of a burrowing mount is how does the rider stay on the mount and survive the burrowing process...and if the tunnel is dug large enough the accomodate the rider what keeps the tunnel from collapsing?

I think if the "dwarf book" will include all the subraces, anything that touches dwarven life (1 section per sub-race) plus new ideas for dwarves plus dwarf canon from non-Realms sources it will take years to make with only a couple people working on it and everyone has their own lives to live

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:08:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Mithril Hall did have boar riders, according to the Hunter's Blades trilogy, when the dwarves were defending the outer halls, but perhaps I'm just imagining things.

Also, Champions of Valor (as well as Tom Costa's first Bestiary of the Realms), mentions dwarven ponies.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Mithril Hall did have boar riders, according to the Hunter's Blades trilogy, when the dwarves were defending the outer halls, but perhaps I'm just imagining things.

Also, Champions of Valor (as well as Tom Costa's first Bestiary of the Realms), mentions dwarven ponies.

No, you are right

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:22:37  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think if the "dwarf book" will include all the subraces, anything that touches dwarven life (1 section per sub-race) plus new ideas for dwarves plus dwarf canon from non-Realms sources it will take years to make with only a couple people working on it and everyone has their own lives to live

I know this is going to be a massive undertaking but I will stick at it.

Re: war moles as mounts: I know what you mean, but the more ideas we bounce off each other and perfect, the better the end product!!

So keep the ides coming and I'll plough my way through them.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Delzounblood
well, my idea of a basic outline:

1) do dwarf history first

which can branch into -

2) dwarven geography (past/present settlements/kingdoms)

and -

3) dwarf sub races/cultures

once these three categories are filled out then you can add stuff like magic, equipment, PrCs, etc.

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page