Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help developing a shape changing villian
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  13:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Im working on a villian for my next campaign

The concept I have for the villian needs him to be a Shapechanger (His existence needs to be offensive to the Confluence)and he also needs to have something to do with Cold (As hes a servant of Auril)

So far Ive come up with the following

A Half Ice Elemental Doppleganger

or

A Half White Dragon Doppleganger

Anyone else able to think of other "Cold" Creatures that can Shapechange and be suitable

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  06:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man Candlekeeps getting quiet these days

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  07:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does it have to be a monstrous villain?
couldnt it be one of the many shapechanging races with classes of frost mage from Frostfell and the Shapechanger class in Races of Destiny.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  07:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

does it have to be a monstrous villain?
couldnt it be one of the many shapechanging races with classes of frost mage from Frostfell and the Shapechanger class in Races of Destiny.

Racially it has to be a Shapechanger the Cold part can come from anywhere

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  14:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Racially it has to be a Shapechanger the Cold part can come from anywhere

sorry I don't have my books with me...

does the ghaunadon (sp?), that intelligent jelly have the shapechanger sub-type? Then add the para-elental template...or is there a "cold" template in Frozenfar?

I was thinking like a white-pudding-ish ghaunadon

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 05 Sep 2006 14:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  14:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cold part is a tie to Auril which unfortunately rules out Ghaunadan as they are servants of Ghaunadaur

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  14:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The Cold part is a tie to Auril which unfortunately rules out Ghaunadan as they are servants of Ghaunadaur

that is true but Auril could have stolen/seduced/etc. a number of ghaunadan and then altered them into "white" ghaunadan

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  15:16:55  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here are some options:

Templates
A Half-water Elemental as that has some cold element spell-like abilities mixed with the water and weather spell-likes.

For Half-dragons the White and Silver dragons are pure cold types. Crystal Dragons are immune to cold, but breath light. But it could add a psionic element if you wish. Another Psionic dragon immune to cold is Topaz dragons who breath out dehydration damage. Shen Lung are immune to cold and shoot out Water Fire and adds an asian element.

There is the Half-doppelganger template in Dragon magazine issue 313. It makes the subject gain the Shapeshifter sub-type. It can be added to any humanoid.

Races
One obvious choices is the Greater Doppelganger that seems to use the darker part of the doppelganger image as the base.

If you want to import a race, the Changelings of Ebberon might be of use to you.

The Fey'ri do not have a Shapeshifter sub-type, but it can shapeshift. Plus it would make a major bad!

The Changesteed Leucrotta can only change into animals & magical beasts, but it has a shapechanger type. Plus it makes a suprising villain as your horse turns against you.

Another beast from the City of Splendors:Waterdeep book with Shapechanging type is the Wilora. It can take any bird/bird-like form within size and steal memories. Then take the form of the create it has drained. But it can only change during night. So it might make a better minion than villain.

A mutated Malaugrym, altered by magic to a half-elemental or half-dragon, could be the villain of the piece if you want to add and element of shadow in the mix.

Just some random ideas. I hope these can help.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 05 Sep 2006 15:18:03
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  14:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the above was well made but I would even dare suggest a Raksasha who is Arcane Devotee of Auril (not neccesary PrC levels but if you want make it high level then go ahead) and having levels as frost mage for the frost part or simply used magicall experiment to get himself a cold subtype and have white fur (look like snow tiger). The cold subtype increases the CR by only +1 and savage species gives rules for ceremonies which add subtypes.
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  16:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it could also be just a White Dragon that is more talented with magic than normal (able to polymorph. Maybe Auril blessed the dragon with that ability to help spread the faith without scaring the crap out of potential worshippers.

Just my 2 coppers

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page