Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Darkvision: Chapters 7 - 14
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Darkvision (Book 3 of The Wizards series), by Bruce R. Cordell. Please discuss chapters 7 - 14 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  01:37:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I can warm up to the term "plangent." I'm not sure why, but it just doen't "feel" right. It may have to do with the fact that it was introduced so close to the "Six Million Dollar Man" joke that it didn't sink in well with me. Reading that comment was like hitting a big pot hole in what was otherwise some great pacing and good story telling, so I'm hoping that when I start back up again that the flow is there again. I hope there aren't too many more modern intrusions into this, as I really like it so far.

I like the level of suspense with the geomancer and his star elf bodyguard. Its doing a good job of building tention and hinting as something that is going on. I also like Ususi and the vengence taker and their interaction with one another.

I'm having a harder time with the scenes that occur in Vaelen. I wish Cordell had taken as much time describing Durpar and their culture and Vaelen and the feel of the city as he did the description of Three Dragon Ante in the last section. I also have a hard time with the "corporate" feel of the family meeting, and the term "Body Shop" as the place that sells the crystal implants, as well as the term "upgrade" being used. It all brings me out of my suspension of disbelief, and it interupts the flow of the novel for me, as I keep getting images of modern board rooms and corporate meetings.

I really liked the dream and the ongoing mystery of Ususi and her sister, and I thought it was very cool that the dwarven geomancer has an elemental prince as a contact. I like elementals, and I'm always glad when their appearance has a little more to it than just using them as summoned beasts with no lines. Also, he dropped some pretty intersting hints at what might be going on.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 22 Sep 2006 02:02:09
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  04:09:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of modern slang and or references in this novel. I'm 100 pages to the end and it really threw me when I saw, "Don't be a moron!"

So, I have to agree with Knight about this, it's making me hard to finish this but it is a good tale even with these issues. The plangent thing bothers me also.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Sep 2006 04:27:54
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  04:19:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if it weren't an intersting story, those "modernisms" probably wouldn't bug me as much. As it is, I just want to keep the story moving forward and not be drawn out of it. Without those issues its a pretty interesting story and is paced fairly well.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  09:46:25  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's wrong with "modernisms"? In a fictional world like the Realms, such things could have come up long ago. That such phrases correlate with our modern world is a problem I don't quite understand. Different world, different linguistic development.

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 22 Sep 2006 09:47:50
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  10:43:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you are saying, and all I can say is that it either bothers you or it doesn't. One thing I will point out is that it doesn't match with the way the other novels in the setting are written, so it kind of violates internal consistancy in the setting as well as using modern terminology. And if it creeps in once in a while, its fine, but when you get a whole chapter that jumps from "business plans" to "projects" to "upgrades" to "Body Shop" its a lot to take at once.

As I said, I like the overall plot, but to me, between the way other books in the setting are writen and my own personal thoughts on how these cultures should be presented, it is just a bit jarring.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  11:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

... but when you get a whole chapter that jumps from "business plans" to "projects" to "upgrades" to "Body Shop" its a lot to take at once.

Yep, you're probably right. I just read over them, without noticing the use of modern language. But everytime I read "Body Shop" I have to think about that store you find in every mall (in Europe)
(www.thebodyshop.com)

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  03:56:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, every time I read Body Shop I think of Mojo and Spiral . . . but I digress (no Alaundo, its not really an off topic non-Realms reference because . . . um . . . Spiral is a sorceress and travels to alternate realities, so I'm sure she has been to the Realms . . . )
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  21:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'm not sure I can warm up to the term "plangent." I'm not sure why, but it just doen't "feel" right. It may have to do with the fact that it was introduced so close to the "Six Million Dollar Man" joke that it didn't sink in well with me. Reading that comment was like hitting a big pot hole in what was otherwise some great pacing and good story telling, so I'm hoping that when I start back up again that the flow is there again. I hope there aren't too many more modern intrusions into this, as I really like it so far.

I like the level of suspense with the geomancer and his star elf bodyguard. Its doing a good job of building tention and hinting as something that is going on. I also like Ususi and the vengence taker and their interaction with one another.

I'm having a harder time with the scenes that occur in Vaelen. I wish Cordell had taken as much time describing Durpar and their culture and Vaelen and the feel of the city as he did the description of Three Dragon Ante in the last section. I also have a hard time with the "corporate" feel of the family meeting, and the term "Body Shop" as the place that sells the crystal implants, as well as the term "upgrade" being used. It all brings me out of my suspension of disbelief, and it interupts the flow of the novel for me, as I keep getting images of modern board rooms and corporate meetings.

I really liked the dream and the ongoing mystery of Ususi and her sister, and I thought it was very cool that the dwarven geomancer has an elemental prince as a contact. I like elementals, and I'm always glad when their appearance has a little more to it than just using them as summoned beasts with no lines. Also, he dropped some pretty intersting hints at what might be going on.

I have the same feelings that you, my friend. The modernisms cause a little disconfort in me, and sometimes I think that Shadowrun was droped in Faerûn - but it´s a superb book, anyway. I find the prince monolith very interesting, and I´m expecting to learn more about Kiri and Angus in the next chapters.

The deep imaskari are very interesting, too. I´m liking of the description of Iahn. IIRC, was Cordell that create the deep imaskar concept in the Underdark book, right?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  22:15:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, the Deep Imaskari were his babies. The other thing I noticed, after a few comments that came up about the Star Elf, was that apparently the outline for the Twilight Tomb adventure (which deals with Star Elves) was from an idea that Cordell had. I have a feeling we may see Kiril again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  16:25:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, "The Body Shop" sucks me right out of the story, because it's the name of a popular bath and beauty product store. :-/ Modernisms don't usually bother me much, but in this novel they are rather excessive. I just wouldn't expect someone in Faerun to say "Everything's coming up roses", an expression taken from the name of a well-known Broadway song.

That being said, the story IS very interesting, and I'm enjoying it even though I think the angle is a bit overly sci-fi for an FR novel. I like it that I'm finally reading a novel that has scenes in Durpar.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  17:25:41  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it seems authors don't really think through their additions to the Realms. I appreciate that they are trying to show us something original, but they don't do that great a job of it.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  05:07:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if its entirely fair to say in general that the authors don't do a great job of it. I think sometimes things work for fans, sometimes they don't. I think that Cordell has addded some really interesting things to the Realms in this story, and if I have any real complaits, its not so much what he has added, but that he hasn't used as much of the background information as he could have.

Cordell is fairly new to the Realms, yes, even after working on a few sourcebooks. I'm hoping that the longer he works in the Realms, the more he will get used to starting a story from a Realms perspective and working in cool D&D elements, because it seems that right now, he starts with a cool D&D idea for a story and tries to add in FR elements.

Despite these critisisms, I think he does a good job of creating interesting characters and advancing a story, so I hope that Realms perspective will grow and the modernisms will decrease a bit as he writes in the setting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000