Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Realmsian Comic Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  16:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just noticed in Candlekeep's bibliography that in the comics listing the (DC Comics) Forgotten Realms comics is listed but the (DC Comics) Advanced Dungeons and Dragons series is not...which technically is not a "Realms" comic but practically it is...it is the "Waterdeep" comic series that has become "more" canonish than the For comic has and ran longer than the For comic...

An oversight? Maybe a correction to the bibliography? I hope so...I enjoyed the "Waterdeep" series a little bit more than the "Realmsmaster" series"

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  17:13:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big Al has been planning on updating that section of the site for a while, now. He's just been too busy being a harsh taskmaster on the rest of us.

And actually, since AD&D was set mostly in and around Waterdeep, it is a Realms comic. That's not to mention the fact that many characters and situations from the comics have been entered into canon lore by sourcebooks, which makes it canon. Timoth Eyesbright, Onyx the Invincible, and Vajra Valmeyjar are all down in Tethyr, and Kyri is proprietor of Selūne's Smile, she's a prominent person at the House of the Moon, she's a Moonstar and Lord of Waterdeep, and she appears in Blackstaff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Aug 2006 17:17:46
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Big Al has been planning on updating that section of the site for a while, now. He's just been too busy being a harsh taskmaster on the rest of us.

Well met

How did I know that the first person to respond to this would be the Furry One

Indeed, Wooly is correct. I have been meaning to get this done for some time. I'll endeavor to complete these pages over the coming weeks.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Well met

Indeed, Wooly is correct. I have been meaning to get this done for some time. I'll endeavor to complete these pages over the coming weeks.

Hi Alaundo

is everything in both comics considered canon ?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:32:40  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Jeff Grubb wrote them (and a couple short stories about the same characters in Dragon magazine), both Steven Schend and Eric Boyd are both big fans of the comics, and they and many ohter authors have included reference to them or things in those comics in actual books, I'd say that the events in the comics are as canon as most of the novels, if not more so.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  19:33:59  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, the official FR comics were the AD&D comic series and the FR comic series. That said, there was some crossover, particularly with the Spelljammer comic series (which honestly wasn't nearly as well done overall as the other two).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  20:18:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

BTW, the official FR comics were the AD&D comic series and the FR comic series. That said, there was some crossover, particularly with the Spelljammer comic series (which honestly wasn't nearly as well done overall as the other two).

Yeah, Spelljammer crossed over with both Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. The title was just starting to get interesting when they all ended.

But one character from FR went to Spelljammer, and later returned to the Realms in the novel Finder's Bane.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  20:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But one character from FR went to Spelljammer, and later returned to the Realms in the novel Finder's Bane.

yeah the girl with the wings (Jade? I remember it is a simple name)

for a while I thought she was going to become a major character, like Arylin or Alias...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  23:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

Hi Alaundo

Well met, kalin agrivar

I believe so. I'm unsure as to whether WotC have confirmed this but i'm willing to accept Tom's statement as good enough

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:10:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jasmine appeared, as Wooly said, in Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, and when she ran into Selune, she felt as if she had met her before (a reference, most likely, to the AD&D comic and Selune's avatar that ran the tavern therein).

Dwalimor Omen and the Realmsmaster were mentioned in Shining South, and again, as Wooly pointed out, Kyri has been referenced several places in 3rd/3.5 edition.

I guess what I was trying to point out is that even if the comics weren't "official" (and I beleive they are considered such), enough peripheral information has come about in "official" sources that just about every character and the general events surrounding them has been hinted at to make them so.

I always liked Priam Agrivar, and would love to see him show up again. Then again, I'm feeling nostalgic since I just finished reading Tymora's Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:15:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms Master, and her crew, is also written up in Dragon 247 during 2e.

Vartan is mentioned in Demihuman Deities and in Planescape material. On Hallowed Ground, I think it is. Kyri is also in For Duty and Deity and a few other 2e sourcebooks that Wooly didn't mention. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Aug 2006 02:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:23:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

And the bunch from AD&D was written up either an issue before or an issue after -- I think it was 246.

quote:

Kyri is also in For Duty and Deity and a few other 2e sourcebooks that Wooly didn't mention. :)

Powers & Pantheons and Cloak & Dagger being the main ones.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Aug 2006 02:25:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:28:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and a minor character intro'ed in the AD&D comic appeared in a couple of the earlier anthologies.

Plus, one of the characters in Blackstaff was the son of a bit character who had all of about 3 pages of air time in one comic book.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:34:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Vartan is mentioned in Demihuman Deities and in Planescape material. On Hallowed Ground, I think it is. Kyri is also in For Duty and Deity and a few other 2e sourcebooks that Wooly didn't mention. :)

On Hallowed Ground it is -- specifically Labelas's entry.

The 2e sources for Kyri are Cloak & Dagger and Powers & Pantheons. And DRAGON #246.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Aug 2006 02:35:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:52:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Echo... echo... echo...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:00:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Echo... echo... echo...

That's what I was thinking. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's time for another Forgotten Realms comic series, something with original or lesser known characters set up for the serial nature of comics. No more rehash of Drizzt's novels into comic form, as interesting as those are, something more independent of established novels would be refreshing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:07:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Echo... echo... echo...

Hey, we did it again the other day with the Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II details. Why break the trend that's forming?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Well met

Hi Alaundo

As the guy who used to be the liaison and approvals guy for TSR and the AD&D comic with Kim Yale (may she rest in peace) at DC, I can say unequivocally that the events and characters are all canonical.

Steven
who also led the charge to move the characters into the game material as well...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  00:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And actually, since AD&D was set mostly in and around Waterdeep, it is a Realms comic. That's not to mention the fact that many characters and situations from the comics have been entered into canon lore by sourcebooks, which makes it canon. Timoth Eyesbright, Onyx the Invincible, and Vajra Valmeyjar are all down in Tethyr, and Kyri is proprietor of Selūne's Smile, she's a prominent person at the House of the Moon, she's a Moonstar and Lord of Waterdeep, and she appears in Blackstaff.

That last bit of information just gives me all the more reason to grab a copy of Blackstaff. I always did like Kyriana and the others (and didn't Vajra become a champion of Selune or the like?).

And just where all have the other characters been mentioned, aside from the sources listed above? Did anyone ever write down what became of Dwalimor or the golem she-dwarf (I forget her name)?
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  02:54:03  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have they considered putting the AD&D comic into trades? I have a few old ones but not the whole series.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:26:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Have they considered putting the AD&D comic into trades? I have a few old ones but not the whole series.

It doesn't seem likely that an older (and unfortunately, not terribly popular) series would get collected into a trade paperback -- especially since it was a collaboration between two companies.

I see various issues of the comic pop up on eBay pretty often, so I'd recommend looking there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  01:24:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

It doesn't seem likely that an older (and unfortunately, not terribly popular) series would get collected into a trade paperback -- especially since it was a collaboration between two companies.
Agreed.

Though comic companies have developed TPB of joint work before... like Marvel/DC, Marvel/Image, Marvel/Wildstorm, DC/Verigo, and Dark Horse/Image -- but these have all been fairly popular series in their own rights.

The new FR comics featuring Drizzt may rekindled some interest in older FR comics, eventually... to the point where they may be either reprinted or collected together into trade-paperbacks. But for now howeverm the focus is still on Drizzt comics.

quote:
I see various issues of the comic pop up on eBay pretty often, so I'd recommend looking there.
Milehigh Comics tends to have copies pop up occasionally as well... though just not the three I'm missing.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Sep 2006 01:26:31
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  16:29:53  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Drizzt series is well done. I know they started a Dragonlance one as well.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  16:44:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DL series has had all kinds of up and downs.

I'm glad the publishers have decided to print the entire series as TPB next year.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  03:41:35  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm glad the publishers have decided to print the entire series as TPB next year.

I like the art in the Drizzt book more than at DL which I only glanced at. I have the first Drizzt TPB. Its great.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  06:08:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As did the old DC/TSR title... They couldn't decide which characters to focus on, nor even what timeframe to stick with... The first couple of story arcs were good, but after that, it was all over the place.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  06:44:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As did the old DC/TSR title... They couldn't decide which characters to focus on, nor even what timeframe to stick with... The first couple of story arcs were good, but after that, it was all over the place.

Aye.

Though, I was actually referring to the printing and publishing of the new DL comic. It's had all kinds of problems, including shipping to countries outside the US.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  23:29:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah hum,

We all missed another reference. Pages 58 to 59 of Shining South for 3/3.5e has the stats for the Astrolabe of Nimbral and the reference to the Realms Master. :)

Er, maybe that was the reference Knight meant but he didn't clarify which Shining South he was talking about since there was the old sourcebook of the same name.

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Sep 2006 23:34:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  01:43:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We all missed another reference. Pages 58 to 59 of Shining South for 3/3.5e has the stats for the Astrolabe of Nimbral and the reference to the Realms Master. :)
Oh, yes... so it was.

Funny, I recorded this in my notebooks, but failed to mention it here.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  03:01:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, yes... so it was.

Funny, I recorded this in my notebooks, but failed to mention it here.

I mentioned that one recently in another thread. I just didn't mention it here, because I wasn't running thru the entire list.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000