Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Badgerkin's Rod of Three Weapons...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  19:37:19  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings Sages,
I would like your ideas and refinements for the following magical item; Badgerkin's Rod of Three Weapons.

A brief history: Several hundred years ago, some gifted but foolish gnomes decided they were tired of hiding and being the "Forgotten Folk" of Faerun. Many talented illusionists, priests,warriors and bards came together in a small village in the Sword Coast area somewhat north of Baldur's Gate. It was decided to start a trading/craftsmen center that (they hoped) would grow into a large city where all were welcome, but gnomes held sway. Surprisingly many gnomes came to the town and swelled its population quickly. The downside was that the city suffered many attacks by opportunistic brigands, goblin-kin and would-be conquerors. The gnomes were seen as easy targets to grab some gold, gems and expensive clockwork devices.
A gnome Priest of Gaerdal Ironhand/Illusionist (Julphin Badgerkin), despairing of the near-constant raids creates his Rod of Three Weapons. (un-inspired name, I know...) He then creates roughly 4 dozen copies. His idea is to create a special band of gnome warriors equpped with magical weapons that can be the core of the city's militia. This Rod can fire three magic missles per day when in Rod form. It can also change on command into a crossbow, halberd/pole arm or a short sword which function normally except as +1 magic weapons. Badgerkin's purpose was to equip his special fighters with all the weapons they might need to meet any threat to the city. The concept was good and seemed to work with the gnomes (mostly successfully) driving off all attackers. Eventually, however, gnomes being gnomes, they lose interest and tire of the constant work of administering and protecting a city. All that is left now is a small town a few miles from the main trade route. The town retains a few of these magic items, but most were carried off and lost over the years.

This is the basic concept, I will work in more Realms history, locations and events to flesh it out. Please let me know if the magic item and backstory seems feasible... Thanks!

ShadowJack

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  20:51:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to work; but one question, if the weapon was that effective what kept the idea from spreading to the human settlements near by; is the creation process a secret of the priesthood? What happened to the secret of making the staffs after the death of Julphin Badgerkin?

Sorry for nitpicking, I am just curious.

You could always use the area near Hardbuckle or the Trielta hills as these are the area with the highest population of gnomes in the area.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  22:04:53  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was assuming that the secret of the making of these rods are a closely held secret of Badgerkin. A PC in my current campaign will be a grandson of his and may find the old gnome's spellbook and journals... I have not thought about the priesthood having control of the secrets of making these items. Could be an interesting twist... Thanks

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  23:01:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have it turn to something other than a crossbow. That's a lot of moving parts...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  08:44:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I thought about the priesthood keeping the secret is that its always the best explanation to why knowledge has not spread. Other magic can be researched if its really useful, but divine secrets, that's something else.

This weapon seems perfect for Breachgnomes (Have that kit been transformed to 3ed?) the fighters Julphin designed them fore could have been a sort of elite company of these fighters.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  13:21:43  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BREACHGNOMES! Jorkens, That is brilliant! Thanks!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  13:56:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I read through every single bit of gnome lore I could find to write my Trielta piece.

If you made them the weapons of the breach gnomes you can also have them as heirlooms that goes from one gnome to another. That would make for adventures based on finding lost weapons or creating a new one if a gnome not of a breach gnome family where to enter their ranks.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  15:21:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting idea for an item. I'd toss in something else though for a couple advanced versions. Perhaps as a halberd the weapon could be silver (fighting lyncanthropic invaders out of range of their bite, perhaps the village was attacked by people of the black blood), and then when a short sword, possibly having it adamantine (for taking on constructs and mages with stoneskin). Maybe these advanced versions are something that the character could go questing to try and figure out how it was made.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000