Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 year 1,372dr, more details on current events?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  11:33:52  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hello, i'm always here wondering about various happenings in the realms... and never finding enough info! i'm sorry to bother you, but i'd need some more details about the happenings of year 1,372dr. now, i have my 'grand history of the realms' open in front of me and i can't help but wonder:

-kern desanea recovers the warhammer of tyr. what is the warhammer of tyr? does this kern guy give it back to his clerics? who is exactly kern desanea? and the paladin miltiades? what about him?

-lolth wraps herself in her nice cocoon and stops giving spells to her priestesses. what year is it when she gets out at the end of wotsq? it seems to be later than 1,374...

-thulthantar (shade) comes back. i've read here on these forums some things about it, and my reasearches have revealed some more. questions, galaeron nimhedu's mother, morgwain the red, is the queen of the high forest elves? does anyone know more about her? galaeron stays with the shadovar after summoning them back? i know something of thulthantar's architecture and fashion, but does anyone know how telamont looks exactly (is he really made of shadowstuff?) is alashar still his wife notwithstanding she is shar? does galaeron stay with them for a while?

-tilverton is attacked by shades, right? but why? and i think i read somewhere there's a duel between wizards from shade and another group causing the destruction... more info?

-where is deep imaskar related to the surface? where do the deep imaskari start comin' out of? does anyone know how they look like as a race? my impression is they were called the artificers because their main style of magic was building artifacts (like portals and imaskarcana...), am i wrong? has this changed while they were in the underdark? what was the great seal and who broke it?

-who are the talontar blightlords? what's their blightspawned army? what's the circle of leth?

-does the wizardwar in halruaa imply any change for the rest of faerun?

-who steals the karsestone from shade, and who brought it there from the direwood? where do they keep it? roughly when do these things happen in the year? if they were trying to melt the glaciers, how come this causes drought and not floods instead (is it the phaerimm?) how did they ally with waterdeep?

-the daemonfey... so they occupy myth glaurach. why not before? to do what? and where -is- myth glaurach btw? also, countess sarya, does anyone know how she looks like? and how does she manage to summon devils -and- demons -and- yugoloths and keep them together (even though that should happen in 1,374)? also, why countess? it's a human title. isn't there an elven title she could use?

-the phaerimm attack evereska... why, is it because it has more magic than other places? when is the siege lifted, this same year or later? when more or less? i read galaeron summons meteors or something... it has nothing to do with the rain of fire of 1,373, right? or does it?

that's it more or less... for now. it's just, i keep looking for answers, i download all the info i can, and yet it seems i'm never able to gather all data about it. it bugs me to no end since my current game is at about a month after the shieldmeet of '72 and a lot of things seem to have happened that are not covered in the books i have.

please help me?

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  12:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of the questions refer to the Return of the Archwizards trilogy, I'd suggest you read them.

The ones I can answer off the bat are:

Galaeron stays in Shade for a while.
Tilverton is attacked by shades because Cormyr pissed Shade off when not handing Galaeron over to them.
The Karsestone is stolen by Galaeron and a strikeforce of Chosen but is lost in the flight from Shade, if I remember correctly.
The phaerimm attack is because Evereska's mythal is the most powerful and pure of the remaining mythals.

Myth Glaurach, I think, is in the High Forest. They occupy it only after they have gathered enough force to make their move. Saraya Dlardrageth is shown new ways to manipulate the mythal to summon fiends by Malkizid.

For more info...I'd have to repeat a whole bunch of reading,

check the RotA trilogy and the Last Mythal trilogy for the stuff.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  18:04:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w2b

hello, i'm always here wondering about various happenings in the realms... and never finding enough info! i'm sorry to bother you, but i'd need some more details about the happenings of year 1,372dr. now, i have my 'grand history of the realms' open in front of me and i can't help but wonder:

-kern desanea recovers the warhammer of tyr. what is the warhammer of tyr? does this kern guy give it back to his clerics? who is exactly kern desanea? and the paladin miltiades? what about him?

-lolth wraps herself in her nice cocoon and stops giving spells to her priestesses. what year is it when she gets out at the end of wotsq? it seems to be later than 1,374...

-thulthantar (shade) comes back. i've read here on these forums some things about it, and my reasearches have revealed some more. questions, galaeron nimhedu's mother, morgwain the red, is the queen of the high forest elves? does anyone know more about her? galaeron stays with the shadovar after summoning them back? i know something of thulthantar's architecture and fashion, but does anyone know how telamont looks exactly (is he really made of shadowstuff?) is alashar still his wife notwithstanding she is shar? does galaeron stay with them for a while?

-tilverton is attacked by shades, right? but why? and i think i read somewhere there's a duel between wizards from shade and another group causing the destruction... more info?

-where is deep imaskar related to the surface? where do the deep imaskari start comin' out of? does anyone know how they look like as a race? my impression is they were called the artificers because their main style of magic was building artifacts (like portals and imaskarcana...), am i wrong? has this changed while they were in the underdark? what was the great seal and who broke it?

-who are the talontar blightlords? what's their blightspawned army? what's the circle of leth?

-does the wizardwar in halruaa imply any change for the rest of faerun?

-who steals the karsestone from shade, and who brought it there from the direwood? where do they keep it? roughly when do these things happen in the year? if they were trying to melt the glaciers, how come this causes drought and not floods instead (is it the phaerimm?) how did they ally with waterdeep?

-the daemonfey... so they occupy myth glaurach. why not before? to do what? and where -is- myth glaurach btw? also, countess sarya, does anyone know how she looks like? and how does she manage to summon devils -and- demons -and- yugoloths and keep them together (even though that should happen in 1,374)? also, why countess? it's a human title. isn't there an elven title she could use?

-the phaerimm attack evereska... why, is it because it has more magic than other places? when is the siege lifted, this same year or later? when more or less? i read galaeron summons meteors or something... it has nothing to do with the rain of fire of 1,373, right? or does it?

that's it more or less... for now. it's just, i keep looking for answers, i download all the info i can, and yet it seems i'm never able to gather all data about it. it bugs me to no end since my current game is at about a month after the shieldmeet of '72 and a lot of things seem to have happened that are not covered in the books i have.

please help me?

Kern is from the third Pools of novel or check out Heroes and Villian Lorebooks. This date is a carry over from a old trilogy from 1e/2e.

Some of the Lloth info can be found in the Player's Guide to Faerun but the rest happens in book four through six of the Spider Queen novels.

Return of the Archwizards, as was said for the shade/tilverton/karsestone/etc events. Or you can, again, look in the Player's Guide to Faerun. This trilogy answers your Evereska question.

Deep Imaskari are detailed in the Underdark sourcebook and they have some info in Lost Empires of Faerun. The Lady of Poison and the upcoming Darkvision novels have a Deep Imaskari character. Unapproachable East and that Lady of Poison novel have info on the blightlords and the circle, etc.

The Wizard War is in detailed in Elaine's Counsuler (I spelled that wrong) and Kings trilogy. It doesn't seem to have much influence on the rest of Faerun, nay.

Fey'ri, read Rich's Last Mythal Trilogy. Lost Empires of Faerun. Hellgate Keep. Lords of Darkness. Cloak & Dagger. Monsters of Fearun. All of them have info on the fey'ri but the Last Mythal answers why the fey'ri moved around.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Aug 2006 18:06:35
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:20:59  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so, mace gives me a lot of info. thank you mace!

kuje, you point me to lots of materials, and i thank you for that. my question then is, is it possible to receive some short answers like the ones mace gave me here on the forum, or should i really go crash the piggybank and buy all those realms supplements? because well, i could do that, yes. but since i don't play with d&d rules that would be a bit of a waste... i don't want the crunchy bits, i'm interested in the fluff... as for the novels, as good as they are, i prefer the realms as an rpg setting- the thought of reading all the novels really doesn't appeal to me...

so essentially, if someone can even briefly tell me something about my other questions, i'd be thankful. if i have to, well, then yes, i might go buy all those supplements... -sigh-
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  22:35:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.

We could give you the info but on the other side, buying the material, like the rest of us usually do, helps support the setting and WOTC.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  22:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially since us telling you the shorthand version is like retelling LotR like this:

Two hairyfooted little guys toss a ring into a volcano and save the world.

Which is *basically* all there is about that book.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:09:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Some of the Lloth info can be found in the Player's Guide to Faerun but the rest happens in book four through six of the Spider Queen novels.

Return of the Archwizards, as was said for the shade/tilverton/karsestone/etc events. Or you can, again, look in the Player's Guide to Faerun. This trilogy answers your Evereska question.
I'd also recommed, w2b, that you download the A Grand History of the Realms PDF by our own Brian R James. It provides a synopsis of these events.

quote:
The Wizard War is in detailed in Elaine's Counsuler (I spelled that wrong) and Kings trilogy. It doesn't seem to have much influence on the rest of Faerun, nay.
"Counselors and Kings."

The trilogy includes:-

* The Magehound
* The Floodgate
* The Wizardwar

There's also a few tidbits in the 3e Shining South tome.

quote:
Fey'ri, read Rich's Last Mythal Trilogy. Lost Empires of Faerun. Hellgate Keep. Lords of Darkness. Cloak & Dagger. Monsters of Fearun. All of them have info on the fey'ri but the Last Mythal answers why the fey'ri moved around.
And Races of Faerun.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:13:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well.

We could give you the info but on the other side, buying the material, like the rest of us usually do, helps support the setting and WOTC.

As well, we can only provide a brief summary itself, given directives for posting officially published material as set in the Forum Code of Conduct.

And those brief summaries won't do the large events -- like the Shades and the WotSQ and the Last Mythal -- any justice. You'll need to read the materials listed for a full view of what's going on.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  05:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w2b

I don't get that either. Also, in the LM books she is constantly refered to as the daemonfey queen (both by the narrator and by her fey'ri subjects), or simply "Lady Sarya", so what is the point of her "countess" title?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  11:00:40  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to rinonalyrna: yeah, weird, uh? an elven countess... i think lady, or etrielle, would fit perfectly...

to the sage of perth: thank you, you're actually right. tomorrow i'll go to the city and buy a wallop of fr sourcebooks, shining south, serpent kingdoms, races of faerun, all that i find... as for the grand history, yes, i grabbed it, it's an amazing work and i hadn't realized it was one of candlekeep who compiled it (but then, who else?). kudos and many thanks to brian r james.

to mace and kuje: roger, going to buy some fatsplats then! thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  17:53:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by w2b

to the sage of perth: thank you, you're actually right. tomorrow i'll go to the city and buy a wallop of fr sourcebooks, shining south, serpent kingdoms, races of faerun, all that i find... as for the grand history, yes, i grabbed it, it's an amazing work and i hadn't realized it was one of candlekeep who compiled it (but then, who else?). kudos and many thanks to brian r james.

Next year Brian's file is going to be printed by WOTC into a sourcebook. I wonder if he'll have to remove the online link then. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  01:18:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by w2b

Next year Brian's file is going to be printed by WOTC into a sourcebook. I wonder if he'll have to remove the online link then. :)

Then again, WotC have already said they're going to add new material and sections to the basic format of Brian's work -- and I'm assuming they'll change some of the other material around (perhaps even restructuring the entire work). It's also possible that the original will remain, at least for a time.

Once the sourcebook is itself released, it's highly likely that the only people to download a copy will be those who either don't want to buy or have yet to buy the WotC version. Though, that may actually motivate WotC to ask for the PDF's removal from the site.

Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  19:13:50  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And of course in 1373 there is the Rage of the Dragons which is cause for much chaos and nice adventuring hooks. Read Richard L. Byers trilogy concerning this event and Dragons of Faerun gives detailed descriptions (I think, don't have it...yet)of which dragons went mad, and the resulting destruction that they caused...
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  20:01:51  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, 1,373 is relatively far off, by the time we reach that point in the campaign i'll have dragons of faerun. i'm reading races of faerun, faiths and pantheons, unapproachable east, a lot of sourcebooks by wotc and i'm having loadsa fun! plus i downloaded all the free classic realms material from the wotc site and that's great too. i'm really getting addicted to faerun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000