Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Hellgate Keep - info please
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  14:14:42  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Where is the Harpers' destruction of Hellgate Keep detailed?

Thanks.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  14:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Conlon

Thanks.

Im pretty sure its in Cloak and Dagger and the Hellsgate keep module

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  17:38:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Thanks.

Im pretty sure its in Cloak and Dagger and the Hellsgate keep module

Yup. And in addition to Cloak & Dagger (one of the best sourcebooks out there, in any edition) and Hellgate Keep (the primary source), there's a line or two in the Gatekeeper's Crystal write-up in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ). The latter book, another wonderful resource, is available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2006 17:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks gents. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase that Cloak and Dagger I've been hearing so much about. Too bad it isn't one of those freebies from Wizards..

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:24:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks gents. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase that Cloak and Dagger I've been hearing so much about. Too bad it isn't one of those freebies from Wizards..

It's worth it just for the Moonstar lore that hasn't really been detailed to much in current sourcebooks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. It sounds as though it is a favourite resource for many of the most informed sages. I had asked about a different topic previously and was also referred to this tome. I am looking forward to spending many hours poring over it, uncovering new (to me) lore...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:44:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes. It sounds as though it is a favourite resource for many of the most informed sages. I had asked about a different topic previously and was also referred to this tome. I am looking forward to spending many hours poring over it, uncovering new (to me) lore...

Oh, it definitely is.

As Kuje said above, the Moonstar lore makes the tome a great purchase by itself.

Though the section on Westgate is also a plus.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:06:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh, it definitely is.

As Kuje said above, the Moonstar lore makes the tome a great purchase by itself.

The stuff on the Manshoon Wars is also great.

Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  04:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kudos from four such esteemed scholars as yourselves has moved it up to being the next book on my list.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  15:09:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Oh, it definitely is.

Am I the only one who mostly, really, liked it for the information about The Rundeen, then?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  17:18:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Am I the only one who mostly, really, liked it for the information about The Rundeen, then?

I liked it for all the groups. :) It has info on a lot of events/groups that have hardly ever been touched before or yet in current material.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  17:21:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Prolly not. We all have our reasons for liking this tome -- and there's just so many reasons to choose from!

I liked the Harper Schism because it shook things up and made the Harpers more interesting, and I liked the Manshoon Wars because it shook things up in the Zhentarim. In both cases, it presented a lot of potential.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  01:26:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked the Harper Schism because it shook things up and made the Harpers more interesting, and I liked the Manshoon Wars because it shook things up in the Zhentarim. In both cases, it presented a lot of potential.
The details on the Moonstars, the Harper Schism, the Manshoon Wars, and the section on Westgate are probably my favorite parts of the C&D sourcebook.

Though, I still mourn the loss of the Manshoon Wars expansion in 3e. And I know Wooly's right along there with me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  01:52:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though, I still mourn the loss of the Manshoon Wars expansion in 3e. And I know Wooly's right along there with me.

Oh gods, yes. They so utterly dropped the ball by not running with that one... And that's why I've chosen a creative interpretation of their statement that only three Manshoons remain.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  02:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh gods, yes. They so utterly dropped the ball by not running with that one... And that's why I've chosen a creative interpretation of their statement that only three Manshoons remain.

Wooly's campaign has 4 Womanshoons, 12 Hinshoons, 2.45 Dwarfshoons (don't ask--very complicated plot having to do with half-dragons and a djinni that was hard of hearing), and 19 Elfshoons.

Steven
Who will attest that there has never been nor will there ever be a Sharnshoon

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  04:09:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

Wooly's campaign has 4 Womanshoons, 12 Hinshoons, 2.45 Dwarfshoons (don't ask--very complicated plot having to do with half-dragons and a djinni that was hard of hearing), and 19 Elfshoons.

Steven
Who will attest that there has never been nor will there ever be a Sharnshoon

But you forgot the 3 censhoons, the four gnomeshoons, and the very confused Shoonshoon!

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  06:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked "The Current Clack" in C&D. I've read it about, oh 6 times now.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  07:04:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloak and Dagger is one of those products where it is almost impossible to pick favorite parts, even the interior illustrations are among my all time favorites.

To late for jokes about Alaghishoons?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  07:47:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I liked "The Current Clack" in C&D. I've read it about, oh 6 times now.

A lot of us have mourned the fact that 3E has dropped the Current Clack section that used to be in 2E products. That's a large part of what led to Kuje and I doing the "Untold Stories" in the Candlekeep Compendium (see the link in my sig) -- though Kuje's follow the old format much better than mine do!

Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I must pick up that book. Perhaps it will also explain the dwarven Runeshoons, the bardic Tuneshoons, and the Shou Lung Foomanshoons.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  17:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the the trannishoons, the ambitious and ambiguous ambishoons, the broomshoons (good for getting rid of cats), the *Magic* mushoons, the Stay-puft marshoons, the Ides of Marshoon, the halfshoon, the tiefshoon, and, of course, their forbidden love child the linglingshoon. (Still one of my favorite D&D jokes ever.)

Cheers,

Erik
Proud part of the -Shoon dynasty.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  18:21:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, we're getting silly now!

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  18:25:20  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And non to shoon!

I know, I know; I am going.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  19:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly already has Dwarfshoons? I thought I was the first to have them. But did he use half-steel dragons?

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  19:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regard to the original question, I believe I interacted with one of the powers that be -- either Steven or Eric Boyd -- regarding the fall of Hellgate Keep (Hellgate features into the backstory of one of the characters in Ghostwalker), and we established that not a lot in specific happened.

Basically, the Harpers found an incredibly destructive artifact when paired with spellcasting support, a group rushed in, suicide-mission style, the demons/fiends went "WTF?", and BOOM! No more Hellgate.

I wish I could remember the name of that artifact. As I recall (and I could very well be wrong), it's the same one used by Sarya and her daemonfey minions in The Last Mythal.

quote:

We weren't silly before?

(Man, where was I?)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  19:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I wish I could remember the name of that artifact. As I recall (and I could very well be wrong), it's the same one used by Sarya and her daemonfey minions in The Last Mythal.

Cheers

The Gatekeeper´s Cristal? Or something like this (where in the name of Orcus I put my Volo´s Guide to All Things Magical?)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  23:12:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

We weren't silly before?

(Man, where was I?)

Cheers

Heh, we were getting silli-er.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  23:13:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

Cheers

The Gatekeeper´s Cristal? Or something like this (where in the name of Orcus I put my Volo´s Guide to All Things Magical?)

You are correct, it was the Gatekeeper's Crystal.

As for Volo´s Guide to All Things Magical... Do you need the link again?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Aug 2006 23:13:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  01:21:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

Cheers

You are correct, it was the Gatekeeper's Crystal.

As for Volo´s Guide to All Things Magical... Do you need the link again?

'Twas also mentioned (and detailed) in the Hellgate Keep module.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  04:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I've popped in from time to time to mention that, while it happened before Cloak & Dagger revealed the existence of Khelben's Tel'teukiira splinter group of Harpers, the destruction of Hellgate Keep was most definitely the first major action taken by Khelben's splinter group.

Steven
who likes bein' sneaky like that

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  16:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, you dastard! That drops a big piece of that particular puzzle into place. Yay!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000