Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Josidiah Nularreth & Clan Nularreth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  17:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here is my character background for my Sun Elf Fighter/Wizard for our campaign that will be based out of Evermeet and the Unapproachable East. Tell me what you think of it. Any critiquing is welcome.

Name:Josidiah Nularreth Sex:Male Race:Gold Elf Height 5'4" Weight:125 lbs Alignment:Lawful Neutral (leaning towards evil) Class:Fighter 2/Domain mage-abjuration (From Unearthed Arcana) 5/ Harper Mage 1/Keeper of the Cerulean Sign (From Lords of Madness)4
Background
Named after the great eleven hero Josidiah Starym this gold elf has done his best to emulate his namesake. Josidiah's father was a gold elf bladesinger of great skill and valor. While his mother was a half-star elf mage (and also a Harper) from the Yuirwood in Algarond.

His parents met while adventuring in the ruins of Myth Drannor. Dhomal (his father)led a small band of kinsman to recover the Nularreth Family blade. Which was lost in the desperate flight from Myth Drannor during the Fall. After battling devils,orcs and other beasts for weeks in the ruin they finally found the blade in a beholder's lair. After a horrific battle in which half the band was killed they finally reclaimed their heritage. After burying their dead kinsman the depleted party set out to return home to Evermeet.

Nearly halfway through the ruins Dhomal and his comapanions were attacked by a green dragon. The wyrm quickly tore into the party killing two of the remaining 4 elves within the first few minutes of the attack. Dhomal and his cousin the bard known as Katha were the only two left.

They succeeded in fighting the dragon to a standstill. with the bard's songs bolstering the young bladesinger to new heights of fighting prowess. As he danced and weaved keepingt he dragon from getting in any direct hits on either of them. But Dhomal was quickly tiring as the small wounds from previous encounters and of course the struggle with dragon was taking it's toll. The dragon tiring of the weaving and sword dancing the elf was performing decided it was tinme to end this battle. He took a deep breath meaning to end the fight with a blast of chlorine gas.

Before he could exhale he was struck by a bolt of arcane force which kncked him to the ground. When the green turned to see what had just knocked him sensless he saw a small elven lass in green robes chanting again. Instead of another attack a wall of force was raised between the elves and the dragon. The wyrm frustrated threw himself against the wall both physically and magically to no avail. The young woman called out to Dhomal "My spell won't hold him for long so I am getting us out of here" She quickly chanted the words to a teleport spell. The Ruins of Myth Drannor soon faded from their sight and they were transported to a small cottage in the middle of the Yuirwood.

After this fateful meeting the young half-elf mage known as Morrighan Andraste and the gold elf bladesinger Dhomal Nularreth became steadfast friends and adventuring companions. Soon after they became lovers and eventually married. After about a decade of adventuring across Faerun. Dhomal wanted to return with his bride to Evermeet and settle down and start a family. Morrighan had already experienced the cold way his clan had treated her and wanted no part of them. Eventually this disagreemnet led to the couple parting ways but not before the couple had begotten a child.

After Josidiah was born it was agreed upon that the elfling was to be fostered in Evermeet for half his years and in the Yuirwood with his mother the other. Showing promise at a young age with both blades and magic the boy was seen by the elders of Clan Nularreth as another in a long line of powerful bladesingers thet represented the clan.

Dhomal and Morrighan could both see though the boy was talented with blades his true love was The Art. Dhomal not wishing to see his son forced to abandon his true calling sent him to his mother full time. Morrighan tried her best to teach her son magic but while an accomplished battle mage she was lacking as a teacher. She arranged to have the boy train with the Simbul's apprentice and her friend Phaeldara. Josidiah blossomed under her tutelage quickly absorbing the lessons given to him.

Upon nearing his majority Dhomal and Morrighan encourged Josidiah to see the rest of what the world had to offer. The young mageling soon hooked up with a group of young Algarondians and formed an adventuring group known as the Bladestorm Company. After a few years of trekking across the Unapproachable East in which among the exploits of the youngsters included stopping a plot by a a mid level Red Wizard of Thay and renegade Shadowlord of Teleflamm that would start a war between Algorand and Thesk, the slaying of Prirmianth the Forest Dragon (a young adult green dragon) and the sundering of the Nine Tails slaving ring.

Taking a break from adventuring the son of Dhomal began to study magic with his mother's kinsman in the otherworldly land of Sildeyuir. After a few short months disaster struck. His mother gave him the terrible tidings of rebellion in Evermeet. She went onto tell him of Kymil Nymesin and other traitors were responsible for the rebellion and attack on Evermeet in which his father was killed defending his homeland.

Soon after the invasion was turned back Josidiah returned to Evermeet to bury his father and reconnect with his father's clan. He was welcomed with open arms by his kinsman and was given the family's blade which was recovered and wielded by his father. He quickly established himself as a powerful young scion of the house.

A few short years later the call from Evereska for help against the phaerrim onslaught was given. With his clan's blessing the young mage/warrior was with one the first groups sent to help the beleagured colony. Josidiah proved to be a capable leader in the fight against the abominations his squad succeded in killing 2 beholders, a mindflayer, countless goblins and a young phaerrim.

After the danger to Evereska was over he again returned to Evermeet. After a few short months in his father's homeland he was contacted by his mother's star elf kin asking for his aid in turning back the nilshai that had invaded Sildeyuir. He quickly contacted some of his more capable fellows from the Bladestorm Company and some the other young elves he had served with in the defence od Evereska and formed a new company.

For 3 long months the star elves and Josidiah's company fought against the Nilshai eventually cornering them off to isolated pockets of Sildeyuir. Much to his sorrow his mother was killed in one of the last battles against the Nilshai. From his mother he has inherited her place among the Harpers.

Josidiah is now obsessed with destroying all abberations that have threatened his people. He has begun seeking old magical lore and power that will help him in this cause. After spending much of his fortune from adventuring on obscure tomes and constant exploration of old ruins he thinks he has found the knowledge necessary to combat these foes (Whence the levels in Keeper of the Cerulean Sign) After his mother's death he has begun to sink into darker and darker moods. Claiming vengeance at any cost has begun to turn him from the path of light. He is now on a slippery slope jeapordizing both his standing with the harpers and with his companions.

(

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

Edited by - Bladedancer on 23 Mar 2007 23:02:55

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  02:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: After his death in a battle of Nilshai his company mourned his passing and buried him in his mothers land of Sildeyuir. After battling the nilshai without much success. The decision was made (after yet another one my characters died) to try to ressurect Josidiah. At first his spirit refused as him tormented sould had at last found some peace.

But after another attempt and with the pleading of his star elf lover to help gain vengeance and to finally end the threat of the nilshai once and for all. His soul reluctantly agreed and returned to the land of the living. Upon his return his rage (egged on by the cursed sword of his clan) against the nilshai for killing his mother and the way they had started to turn Sildeyuir into a nightmare realm reached almost epic proportions.

He has recently taken up the worship of Shevaresh letting the bitterness of his new patron deity embrace him. His group has made some headway in the battle against the nilshai reclaiming a tower that had been corrupted by the abberations which they now use as their base.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  03:06:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how you tied in the Realmsian events that involve aberrations with the character taking levels of Keeper of the Cerulean Sign. As far as development goes, the Player's Handbook II has a lot of interesting "swift" and "immediate" spells that can be useful for a fighter/wizard to have in his arsenal.

I'd have to think a bit more on the family blade, so all I can say right now is, its not a moonblade
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  03:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments they are appreciated. The thing with the family blade is that it is cursed. Me and my dm have yet to hammer out all the details as of yet (we just started this campaign back up). I got some great ideas out of the forums here in a scroll titled Help detailing a Sun Elven House of Evermeet (I would post a link but I have no idea how:) ). So far the weapon is a +2 Silentstrike Enfeebling Longsword which is intelligent (it has the soul of one of the most powerful founders of the House within it which slowly trys to corrupt it's wielder to the worship of Shar)

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  13:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how you explained why he's not as heroic as his namesake anymore.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  06:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the timeline of the House and a few more details on the blade known as Dusk

-3500 DR House Nularreth is founded in Cormanthyr
-3200 DR Kirson the fist bladesinger begins the long line of heroes within the clan
-3000 Dr Kirson dies defending a trade expedition of dwarves on their way to Cormanthyr from a marauding green wyrm
-2999 DR To honor Kirson's sacrifice the dwarf clan creates "Dusk" which after this becomes the family blade
-2700 DR Shatterstar is the next bladesinger to claim the sword
-2439 DR Shatterstar is killed by drow raiding in the Kystall Woods the blade is taken back to the Twisted Tower as loot
-2200 DR Moonfire daughter of Shatterstar a Battle Priestess of Sehanine Moonbow leads a daring raid on the Twisted Tower to recover the blade.
-1950 DR Moonfire dies on an attack on the drow dwelling of Uvaren. The blade is then claimed by the bladesingerQualost
-1700 DR Qualost is killed in a duel with with a rival noble. The blade is then claimed by his brother Quellan a battle mage.
-1675 DR Quellan is killed in spellbattle with a Netherese Arcanist
-1650 DR the blade is recovered from the arcanist in exchange for lessons in elven battle magic by the House Elders
-1600 DR The blade is claimed by the half-elf Khalan progeny of the arcanist and young elf maid of the clan
-1548 DR Khalan finishes his training as a bladesinger
-1543 DR Khalan leads a series of daring and effective raids against the drow of the Twisted Tower earning much fame with younger elves of Cormanthyr
-1530 DR Khalan is assasinated by a cabal of his cousins but the blame is put on the drow
-1500 DR The blade falls to the leader of the cabal that murdered Khalan Jal a mage of no small skill
-1300 DR Jal goes farther down his dark path and begins expermenting with dark and fell magic
-1250 DR Jal is rejected in his pursuit of becoming a High Mage
-1225 DR Jal starts to hear the whispers of Shar promising great power
-1200 DR Jal embraces Shar's faith and begins using the Shadow Weave
-1100 DR Jal becomes head of the clan after the mysterious death of his aunt
-900 DR Jal's dominance of the House is absolute leading the House to great glory in battles against the drow and politically against rival houses
-750 DR Wildstorm a young and promising bladesinger is born
-500 DR Wildstorm quietly starts to gather support within and outside the clan against the dark Jal
-330 DR Wildstorm makes his move against Jal in an epic battle the Bladesinger is killed and Jal is mortally wounded calling upon Shar to save him his soul is transferred to the sword
-329 DR The clan is devastated by the loss of it's two most powerful scions and starts on a steady decline
-300-260 DR The blade is passed from bladesinger to bladesinger who all seem to live short but brilliant lives.
261 DR Myth Drannor is founded
262-710 DR the clan slowly rebuilds it's strength through the able leadership of the High Mage Talon and his Bladesinger son Briar
711 DR The Weeping War begins
712 DR Talon dies in a battle against a horde of yugoloths
714 DR Briar dies in the last days of Myth Drannor guarding a portal that lets the rest of the clan escape. The blade is lost in the battle.
720 DR The House retreats to Evermeet
975 DR Dhomal is born
1125 DR Dhomal leads a group of kinsman to Myth Drannor to recover "Dusk"
1140 DR Dhomal marries the half star-elf mage Morrighan Andraste
1155 DR Josidiah is born
1200 DR Josidiah begins training as a warrior/mage
1371 DR Evermeet is assaulted Dhomal is killed in defence of his homeland Josidiah claims "Dusk"
1372 DR Evereska is attacked by the Phaerimm Josidiah is among those to anwer the call of the Crusade
1374 DR Josidiah comes to aid of his mother's people the star elves of Sildeyuir against the nilshai incursion
Morrighan is killed one of the battles
Later Josidiah is also slain
1375 DR (current year) Josidiah is ressurected and recovers the blade from the nilshai

Dusk is the ancestral blade of House Nularreth it is over 4000 years old. Unknowingly to the clan the blade holds the soul of the vile Arch-Mage Jal a former leader of the house. A worshipper of Shar who hates bladesingers with a passion after his death by one (a clansman named Wildstorm)

Since then Jal subtlely steers the blade to be claimed by young and promising bladesingers while he slowly corrupts them by whispering of the greatness of the Dark Lady Shar. With the powers of the blade they rise quickly in power. Only to fall at the worst time when Jal causes the blade to fail them at the most critical moments.
Currently much to Jal's chagrin the blade has fallen not to a bladesinger but a mage of some power who Shar has started to taken an interest in.

Any comments are welcome

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire

Edited by - Bladedancer on 17 Mar 2007 06:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  05:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So after Josidiah failed his will save (rolled a fricken 1 lucky die my arse) against the spirit within the sword. I am left with how to roleplay this.
The character had already started to slip into a dark depression and quest for revenge after his mother's death by the nilshai and his recent ressurection. He has been increasingly more brutal in his tactics against them including torture and some unsvaory experiments on them (which the rest of the group has no idea about) Using the very labratories the nilshai had been using on star elves within a corrupted Sildeyuir citadel. Which the group has reclaimed from the abberations and has been using as their base of operations.

The Dm and I have agreed if he hadn't slipped from LN to LE before he sure as hell has now with the sword's dark whisper's poisoning his mind. With his current patron being Shevarash and Shar's attempts to win her over to her side I can kinda draw a paralel to that.

In game terms I am mulling over whether to multi-class to Shadow adept (although I loathe to add another prc as I already have 2 prcs and 2 main classes) but it would fit the flavor of the charcter and the dm said I could go for it.

I would welcome any comments on the above musings.

Thanks in Advance

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page