Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nilshai
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Quick question
What sourcebook stats out those nasty abberations that are beating up the Star Elves? I am rewriting a character from a no-go campaign a few of my friends were going to have.n It now looks like we will be running a mid level game based out of Evermeet. For my ?/wizard's background I need to be able to figure out if he could stand a few rounds against one of these things.

Thanks In Advance

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

Edited by - Bladedancer on 15 Aug 2006 17:18:22

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladedancer

Quick question
What sourcebook stats out those nasty abberations that are beating up the Star Elves? I am rewriting a character from a no-go campaign a few of my friends were going to have.n It now looks like we will be running a mid level game based out of Evermeet. For my ranger/wizard's background I need to be able to figure out if he could stand a fe rounds against one of these things.

Thanks In Advance

They were introduced and created in the Unapproachable East book

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And are really nasty, as the arcane archer of my group could say...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bloody hell why didn't I think to look there?!?!
Thanks Kalin

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:22:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They also play a part in Rich's Last Mythal trilogy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:23:46  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and I have a vague memory that they can be linked to the Far Realm too (I think that is out of the Unapproachable East)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:43:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

and I have a vague memory that they can be linked to the Far Realm too (I think that is out of the Unapproachable East)

Not that I saw.... the only 3/3.5e reference in FR lore about the far realm that I remember is in Eric's Waterdeep book.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  15:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Not that I saw.... the only 3/3.5e reference in FR lore about the far realm that I remember is in Eric's Waterdeep book.

I'll look it up tonight...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  16:27:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is no *specifc* reference in UE suggesting that the Nilshai come from the Far Realm. Only that they are natives of some "distant horrible reality."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Aug 2006 16:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  16:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There is no *specifc* reference in UE suggesting that the Nilshai come from the Far Realm. Only that they are natives of some "distant horrible reality."

Yes. So, they came from a far realm, but not exaclty, that Far Realm.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  16:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin
[brYes. So, they came from a far realm, but not exaclty, that Far Realm.

ouch, my sides

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  17:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adventure Twilight Tomb is happening in Yuirnwood and it would say something about star elves.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  17:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Adventure Twilight Tomb is happening in Yuirnwood and it would say something about star elves.

I heard that too...

I have a question, has anyone published anything between the star elves and the original wild elves of the Yuir Woods? Susch as the fact the Yuir elves had their own panthenon, do/did the star elves worship these gods

oh, and I'd love to see the rockseer's too :P

and has anyone incorporated the ghost elves from the Dragon Magazine ?

:)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  00:57:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and has anyone incorporated the ghost elves from the Dragon Magazine ?
I have, but they've been taken into RAVENLOFT, and into Darkon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  04:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much is mentioned about the pantheon the star elves worshipped, but seeing that an influential member of their race was residing in Aracor and later became their Grand Mage(Morthil) it might be reasonable to assume that they worshipped both.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  20:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You were right, I got confused as the nilshai are mentioned in the Lords of Madness book right after the description of the Far Realm...

I put a small colony of ghost elves in the High Forest..near some unnamed (i.e. non-canon) Aryvandor (sp?) ruins

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Rekov
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2018 :  22:02:21  Show Profile Send Rekov a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any official verdict on which language the Nilshai speak? The only reference I've found is in Unapproachable East:

"...some star elves learn Abyssal and other evil tongues to converse with those seeking to destroy Sildëyuir."

The Nilshai are LE though, not CE, so this strikes me as a little odd. They're not demons or devils though, really.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2018 :  22:16:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rekov

Is there any official verdict on which language the Nilshai speak? The only reference I've found is in Unapproachable East:

"...some star elves learn Abyssal and other evil tongues to converse with those seeking to destroy Sildëyuir."

The Nilshai are LE though, not CE, so this strikes me as a little odd. They're not demons or devils though, really.

Hmmm, they're abominations with ties to the Far Realm aren't they? They serve the abolethic sovereignty. I'd venture towards deep speech.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Deep_Speech

From the 4th edition DMG
The Deep Speech is a language related to the alien communication of the Far Realm, used by creatures influenced by the energy of that place beyond the world and the planes. It uses the Rellanic script because the drow were the first to transcribe it, since they share Underdark haunts with aberrant creatures.

While not a big fan of 4e, some of their stuff does make more sense than prior works. I'd say adopting this language from the far realms makes sense.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2018 :  23:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not going to lie, I’d love to see someone try to homebrew a link between the nilshae and phaerimm. Something about those two creatures makes me think of the other.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2018 :  16:13:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Not going to lie, I’d love to see someone try to homebrew a link between the nilshae and phaerimm. Something about those two creatures makes me think of the other.

I could see it. Both are kind of magic hungry it seems. I honestly can't say what kind of link they have to aboleths, but I believe we do have such from the novels, especially given the wiki link. Still, I can honestly see all 3 as coming from the far realms. Given their focus against an elven entity, I also wouldn't be surprised if the Sharn aren't involved with them as well (as possible enemies).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2018 :  16:26:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've pegged the nilshai, hakeashar, etc as creatures that float in the ethereal consuming magic to sustain themselves. Because they are ethereal in nature they can manifest on the material plane and this manifestation is what people see, their true form on the ethereal plane may be something very different.
I've not decided what created the creatures or what they actually look like, but it was the only way I could think to explain how they can access material plane and extraplanar spaces with ease.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2018 :  18:46:49  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nilshai are sometimes referred to as Ethereal Theurges by star elven scholars. Therefore I like to link Nilshai to an Elder Evil godhood known as Mak Thuum Ngatha (found in Lords of Madness) the Nine Tongued Worm, to whom they offer up arcane secrets and sacrifices in their capitol build from solid ether in the Deep Ethereal.

They are mentioned to communicate with: "a synthesis of high pitched squeels, grinding teeth and tentacled flesh rasping over itself." (Stardeep, pg 220). Sounds like dialect of Deep Speech, for sure.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000