Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The mess of FR and WotC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ladern
Acolyte

Mexico
14 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  01:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Ladern's Homepage Send Ladern a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It might be that im just wake from the wrong side of the bed, but i have read the treads for a while, have read my FR books and reading the information in the official site of WotC and i realise that they have messed all in the Storyline and the accesories.

In a post before they said that the new format for the accesories is adventures in the geographical zone with some lore about the place. In example "Mysteries of the Moonsea". As i see these format make the things easier for the DM that don't have time to prepare their adventures, but they take away the most important things i look in a Zone accesory, the raw information about whats going on in that place, the history of what's happening, the major diferences that make that place unique (No even one Prestige Class for the Zhent, or a new race or zomething like that). I don't think that site adventures are a bad Idea, but an expanding accesory from a region must expand the rules, the history and the knowledge in that region (as the accesories before that); not using the place to make adventures and adding 5 pages of background for that adventure.

Ok, the other issue is Storyline, In some place of the official site i read that they will take some 24 or more months of real time to advance one year in the events, but since then they made novel after novel after novel and they advance 3 years in just a click. Even so fast that they themselves just don't agree in the official events. The last book Dragons of Faerun make up for the events of the year of Rogue Dragons, but right now there are novels about the year of Risen elfkind and the year of Lightning Storms. As the persons that read some novels have written in this forum many things in the novels don't make sense cause one autor write it even before of knowing whats going to happen in a novel which events happen a year before.

At least but not at last, i think WotC is a respectable enterprise (although i reserve my opinions for Magic.... I need a therapist), and i think that their intentions for calling more persons to play D&D are notable (as seen in D&D for Dummies and the goal of simplify the game) but they must take quality and not quantity in their minds. OK, after all is just a Game, but its my favorite game and i don't want to see the realms(a great proyect, include many congratulations and flattery for Ed Greenwood and all the others that made Toril go round), i said see the realms a mess cause someone upstairs want a bigger sale or just dont take the time to order it.

Maybe im wrong, maybe im a loony, maybe im just meessing around (after all my character is a Tiefling Rogue/Fatespinner CN), But if one of the scribes can send me a way to make my voice be heard by the staff of WotC and if anyone thinks like me (more or less) lets make something to keep a great game GREAT!!. As Big Ed said lets tell them what we want.

Thanks

If life turns back at you.....

Sneak Attack for extra damage

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With some of the things, notably the consistency errors, and from certainly an outspoken group, the new sourcebook format, you're preaching to the converted.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:03:34  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually agree with most of what you're saying here...

But those of us who hold such opinions are a minority, and due to democracy and capitalism, that means we automatically lose.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Ladern
Acolyte

Mexico
14 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Ladern's Homepage Send Ladern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well maybe we can call the some of the Big Bad Bosses and make a site where we make the things as we want, we could take over the world and bought WotC and make them write as we want.

Ok im getting carried away but we must do something before it sinks and FR turns into a "StrWrs III" where someones like it someones not, but everyone agree that it lost the road somewhere.

sight

If life turns back at you.....

Sneak Attack for extra damage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:12:37  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's already been on its way there. I mostly live for products and novels put out by the older authors, myself. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do novel timelines and sourcebook information for playing DnD not always synch up? Yes.

Does that fact affect game play? No.

Does that fact limit one's ability to read more novels? Again, no.

So if a lack of exact synchronicity doesn't effect game play and does not prevent the reading of more novels, then you're going to have to come up with a good alternate argument for why WotC should bother to spend more time (and therefore money) to synchronize their products.

Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a high level of 'agreement' between novels and sourcebooks.

But OTOH if a large number of fans email and/or write to WotC to express this expectation and go out of their way to not purchase any novel or sourcebook that doesn't conform to what these fans want...well then WotC will listen.

So there is one possible 'argument' (of sorts).

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  02:59:57  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ladern

It might be that im just wake from the wrong side of the bed, but i have read the treads for a while, have read my FR books and reading the information in the official site of WotC and i realise that they have messed all in the Storyline and the accesories.

In a post before they said that the new format for the accesories is adventures in the geographical zone with some lore about the place. In example "Mysteries of the Moonsea". As i see these format make the things easier for the DM that don't have time to prepare their adventures, but they take away the most important things i look in a Zone accesory, the raw information about whats going on in that place, the history of what's happening, the major diferences that make that place unique (No even one Prestige Class for the Zhent, or a new race or zomething like that). I don't think that site adventures are a bad Idea, but an expanding accesory from a region must expand the rules, the history and the knowledge in that region (as the accesories before that); not using the place to make adventures and adding 5 pages of background for that adventure.

Ok, the other issue is Storyline, In some place of the official site i read that they will take some 24 or more months of real time to advance one year in the events, but since then they made novel after novel after novel and they advance 3 years in just a click. Even so fast that they themselves just don't agree in the official events. The last book Dragons of Faerun make up for the events of the year of Rogue Dragons, but right now there are novels about the year of Risen elfkind and the year of Lightning Storms. As the persons that read some novels have written in this forum many things in the novels don't make sense cause one autor write it even before of knowing whats going to happen in a novel which events happen a year before.

At least but not at last, i think WotC is a respectable enterprise (although i reserve my opinions for Magic.... I need a therapist), and i think that their intentions for calling more persons to play D&D are notable (as seen in D&D for Dummies and the goal of simplify the game) but they must take quality and not quantity in their minds. OK, after all is just a Game, but its my favorite game and i don't want to see the realms(a great proyect, include many congratulations and flattery for Ed Greenwood and all the others that made Toril go round), i said see the realms a mess cause someone upstairs want a bigger sale or just dont take the time to order it.

Maybe im wrong, maybe im a loony, maybe im just meessing around (after all my character is a Tiefling Rogue/Fatespinner CN), But if one of the scribes can send me a way to make my voice be heard by the staff of WotC and if anyone thinks like me (more or less) lets make something to keep a great game GREAT!!. As Big Ed said lets tell them what we want.

Thanks

What you are saying makes more sense than you think. As of third edition, I notice that WOTC has grown more and more inconsitant between their material. You are not the first one to notice this and it is becoming a problem.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:15:56  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a high level of 'agreement' between novels and sourcebooks.

Interesting, because that was one of Steve Schend's jobs, and he seemed to do it very well (with Elaine praising him on it).

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:39:15  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall the mantra from six/seven years ago on the Realms-L list: "Bring Steven back! Bring Steven back!"

To which the fact is: He left that job by his own choice. Churning out page after page of Realmslore probably left him wishing for a change of pace.

If WotC can bring him back into the fold without burning him out...well I'm all for it!

From a business standpoint, it's perfectly reasonable to ask 'how much is necessary?' in terms of coordination? How much $ should be spent on 'minding the ship' in terms of what authors in books are doing as opposed to what the current FR design team (in house and out of house) are doing? Should one person track it all? Should the heads of each department meet once per month, etc...?

It's also very important to figure out what the customers want.

I wish WotC would give us a hint as to the current state of the Realms demographic.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:42:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
To which the fact is: He left that job by his own choice. Churning out page after page of Realmslore probably left him wishing for a change of pace.

Actually, he told us he quit doing sourcebooks because he can fit "at least 70% more lore into novels." :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  03:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never got the impression that was a verbatim reason for why he left, though.

After all we haven't seen anything with his name on it in a long time.

That he's chosen to come back into the fold with novels is good though.

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  04:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly agree, but I don't think the timeline has skipped ahead THAT quickly. The timeline has advanced about two years in five real time years--not exactly lightning fast.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  05:23:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

J. Grenemyer

The fact that he specifically stated that he is writing WotC novels over sourcebooks because he can pack lore into them is a good indication that he didn't stop in the first place because he was sick of writing lore, though. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  08:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, given the statements of other designers re: his departure, it's a very good indicator.

I'm glad he's back!

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  14:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

quote:

J. Grenemyer

The fact that he specifically stated that he is writing WotC novels over sourcebooks because he can pack lore into them is a good indication that he didn't stop in the first place because he was sick of writing lore, though. :)

Don't take me literally re: lore in novels, folks; I was being flippant there as a reason why I'd rather write novels instead of game books.

And no, I was never sick of FR or the lore. There were a lot of other factors going on at the time I left WotC, and in the interests of professional and personal privacies, I'll not go into those. Suffice it to say that I'm very happy to be back in the Realms in any form, and hope to do as much as they're willing to publish.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Actually, given the statements of other designers re: his departure, it's a very good indicator.

I'm glad he's back!

J. Grenemyer

Hm. Now you've got me curious as to what other designers were saying re: my departure.....

SES
who asks J. to email him offlist if it'll be awkward to air such discussions in public

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I wish WotC would give us a hint as to the current state of the Realms demographic.

I think a lot of us would. Though judging from what Kuje reported from GenCon and the new direction sourcebooks seem to be moving in, we can at least guess.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to know something about those sales numbers. SKR said that the old TSR sourcebooks sold far less compared to the new stuff.
If that is true WOTC is doing the right thing, businesswise. If they cannot make money of a product the product will get canceled. I'm not sure the old FR items didn't make a profit either. Sure, TSR had to close down etc.etc, which was, if I remember correctly, a business problem with too many books being returned at the end of a year or some such thing. But no profit on the items we miss so dearly now?
If I see those numbers I believe it.

Are we, who like lore etc yada yada, in the minority? If we are then we cannot change a single thing because we are not the target audience for the sales.

The way Wizards produces sourcematerial we have a couple of high quality, glossy items per year instead of the old b/w stuff TSR released. I certainly don't need full color stuff, sure it looks nice, but if I want to look at pretty pictures I buy an artbook or some such thing. Maybe the new format attracts new players, but what new player would start with a regional sourcebook? If I buy a regional sourcebook I already have some experience with the game or the setting and really am interested in the setting.

But maybe I'm just too logical in that regard.

I couldn't care less about the wrapping, I prefer good chocolate, so to speak...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  16:17:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always, I have to say, have faith, and hang in there. Let WOTC know what your opinion is via e-mail or mail or whatever other option you have, and let them know in a manner that isn't so offensive that they dismiss your opinion outright. Don't buy things that are definately not interesting to you, and hope for the best.

To be completely honest, I've been on this ride since 1987, and there have been a few other times in Realms history where it has felt like there was something lacking. As we learned in Dragons of Faerun . . . all things move in cycles.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  16:40:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying not to be to pessimistic about the future of the realms under WOTC, and as KnightErrandJR says, there's always hope, but I have to say those immortal words "I have a bad feeling about this"

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  16:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

As always, I have to say, have faith, and hang in there. Let WOTC know what your opinion is via e-mail or mail or whatever other option you have, and let them know in a manner that isn't so offensive that they dismiss your opinion outright. Don't buy things that are definately not interesting to you, and hope for the best.

To be completely honest, I've been on this ride since 1987, and there have been a few other times in Realms history where it has felt like there was something lacking. As we learned in Dragons of Faerun . . . all things move in cycles.

I agree...

As I feel: D&D was once a small little company with simple booklets, black-and-white hand drawings and a lot of love, blood and sweat put in...then it became a bigger “little company” (that had some color pictures, just as much love, blood and sweat and a lot more campaign worlds) but it ultimately stumbled and fell and was bought by a “big” company (that didn’t put in as much love, blood and sweat) which was soon eaten up by a “biggest” company...which are usually described as “soulless” (thus very little love, blood and sweat).

The decisions that Wizards of the Coast, Inc, which is really Hasbro, Inc, a global super-company (now that WoTC is owned/a subsidiary of Hasbro) doesn’t really ever surprise me...they are a big company trying to make as much profit as they can and the people that run WoTC ultimately have to answer to Hasbro (i.e. where is our $$$)

If they get more $$$ by abandoning their core D&D fans (with a 25 year + core base) for “fad” products (ahem, miniatures) then so be it...there is always the next children’s fad to make $$$. That is why letters to the company and buying the quality products is important...you can only communicate with Hasbro with your $$$

And if they were to dump the Forgotten Realms another d20 company/brand would pick up the slack (like what happened to Ravenloft). I converted to 3.0 more than 4 years after 3.0 came out...I enjoy and love new Realms canon but I don’t need the campaign world to be “alive” for me to play...just ask any 2nd AD&D, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, etc. player. But I do have faith that the Realms will pull through...I just hope I have the patience to do so

OK..my half-thought out rant is over...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  17:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... and it´s splendid!!!

Thanks, Kalin! You "spoke my thoughts", I could say...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  17:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Judging by your post on this subject at 'the other boards', there seem to be a lot of people in agreement with you. I only hope they take notice.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  19:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

...who asks J. to email him offlist if it'll be awkward to air such discussions in public
No problem I can probably do that tonight (after regular DnD Game Night is over) or tomorrow after work.

All the same I'm glad you're writing Realmslore and apologize if mine and Dan's discussion of your prior work history offended!

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One problem I have with the FR franchise, and this probably did not start with WoTC, is that some novels are really tough for the non-FR fan to understand. Characters, monsters, place names and lore pop up ofthen without any explanation at all.
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  22:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, Kalin. We vote with our dollars, and that is all that the big company is going to understand. They can recieve a few letters from die-hard fans, but if certain items are selling and others aren't then those letters don't mean much. Although I am pretty selective with what I purchase, I am very happy with what I get. I understand that some people have a lot of complaints ranging from chronology to "RSE"s, but I still feel that WotC is putting out high-quality stuff, and that the developers and writers are top notch.

I do agree there should be total open communication with the developers and authors to ensure that RSEs mesh up properly.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  23:22:26  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Don't take me literally re: lore in novels, folks; I was being flippant there as a reason why I'd rather write novels instead of game books.

And no, I was never sick of FR or the lore. There were a lot of other factors going on at the time I left WotC, and in the interests of professional and personal privacies, I'll not go into those. Suffice it to say that I'm very happy to be back in the Realms in any form, and hope to do as much as they're willing to publish.

I apologize too...

But I'm glad that it turned out I was right. ;) You didn't seem like the type of person to "get sick of writing lore"!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  23:27:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really dislike how the newer novels "feel like a game." The older writing seemed more 'normal' fantasy; now when I'm reading newer novels (not all of them, cough, thanks Steve!, I find myself rolling my eyes at how blatantly D&D things are. Blatantly FR is fine and good and I want it! But, not "zomg this is SO D&D."

And I really can't say that I didn't see this coming, since it's been partially here for the past 5 years. I've pretty much stopped buying sourcebooks that don't have TSR-employee names on the cover in prominent display, and I'm happy with this decision.

And I'd still buy a big "Book of Ed's Answers about FR" in hardback.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:14:13  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really dislike how the newer novels "feel like a game." The older writing seemed more 'normal' fantasy; now when I'm reading newer novels (not all of them, cough, thanks Steve!, I find myself rolling my eyes at how blatantly D&D things are. Blatantly FR is fine and good and I want it! But, not "zomg this is SO D&D."

And I really can't say that I didn't see this coming, since it's been partially here for the past 5 years. I've pretty much stopped buying sourcebooks that don't have TSR-employee names on the cover in prominent display, and I'm happy with this decision.

And I'd still buy a big "Book of Ed's Answers about FR" in hardback.

I understand what you are saying GD. the old material, not just the novels, but the sourcebooks as well, had a more "booklike", "lorelike", and authentic feel to it. Plus back then they were more consistant between their material as well.

Third Edition just completly contradicted almost everything in the previous ones and made HUGE changes to the game. Plus the D&D sourcebooks are more like textbooks now rather than fiction.

But hey, if this is good for business, then all I can say is keep it going and lets hope that all this additional cash can get us new and exciting products.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:19:10  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mind you, I'll hardly say that the old material didn't have inconsistencies in it - but I think it wasn't quite as often, and they didn't retcon things as much.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really dislike how the newer novels "feel like a game."
For perspective, it's worth noting how fans ***for years*** have whined, complained and publicly insulted novel authors for not 'following the rules'.

Now we see one or more authors trying to reflect game rules in the novels....and so we have criticism of that (and to be clear, it's mature, smart criticism so far).

It's rule of life reflected in publishing decisions: If a publisher like WotC listens to fan group A, then they end up upseting fan group B, and vice-versa.

Interesting.

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000