Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Grand Mage of Evermeet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  16:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Who is now the Grand Mage of Evermeet? Breithel Olithir or Laeroth Runemaster? Are they stated somewhere(in 3.0 or 3.5)?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  20:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Who is now the Grand Mage of Evermeet? Breithel Olithir or Laeroth Runemaster? Are they stated somewhere(in 3.0 or 3.5)?

According to the Last Mythal novels, it's Breithel Olithir.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:03:24  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did we hear what happened to Runemaster?

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Did we hear what happened to Runemaster?

...no.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  21:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I'm confused. I would ask Mr. Baker about it.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  16:04:44  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont think mr baker is going to respond to this topic (he prolly wont see it) but if youa sk him personally, im interested as well. If you could post his response here i'd appreciate it Corran.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  16:58:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was Rich's response, in his own scroll here at the keep:

Remember, some years pass between the end of the novel "Evermeet" and the beginning of "The Last Mythal." It's not a lot of time, but it's enough for the previous Grand Mage to head off for Arvandor and a new guy to step in. I don't know how tough Olithir is off the top of my head; for my purposes it was sufficient for him to be a relatively new and untried Grand Mage, so I suppose he's got to be in the mid-20's or they wouldn't have given him the job.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  19:26:50  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. He died.

We're not sure why or what reason or how, sadly.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GothicDan, don't take it so badly, He didn't die, he passed on to a better place...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  23:04:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich doesn't actually say he died, though, he just says's it's been long enough. So, if it suited your purposes, Laeroth could have retired (staying on Evermeet or going elsewhere), or he could have decided to go somewhere else to use his abilities to aid the People -- like Lamruil's Land of the Cold Elves, or Evereska, or Myth Nantar...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  23:38:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Rich doesn't actually say he died, though, he just says's it's been long enough. So, if it suited your purposes, Laeroth could have retired (staying on Evermeet or going elsewhere), or he could have decided to go somewhere else to use his abilities to aid the People -- like Lamruil's Land of the Cold Elves, or Evereska, or Myth Nantar...

Er? Well Wooly, Rich did say that he "heading off to Arvandor" and that usually involves dying, unless he took a portal there and just went there while still alive.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  01:23:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Er? Well Wooly, Rich did say that he "heading off to Arvandor" and that usually involves dying, unless he took a portal there and just went there while still alive.

Not in the quote above -- he says enough time has passed for this to happen, not that it is what happened. I'm splitting hairs for the sake of having possibilities remain.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  01:26:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not in the quote above -- he says enough time has passed for this to happen, not that it is what happened. I'm splitting hairs for the sake of having possibilities remain.

Again? Er

"It's not a lot of time, but it's enough for the previous Grand Mage to head off for Arvandor and a new guy to step in."

Sure, except it reads that he's dead. Now whatever.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  06:05:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again? Er

"It's not a lot of time, but it's enough for the previous Grand Mage to head off for Arvandor and a new guy to step in."

Sure, except it reads that he's dead. Now whatever.

My point is that it doesn't actually say he is dead. It just says enough time has passed for him to have died. Since it doesn't say he died, I'm pointing out other possibilities.

I'm not trying to be obtuse; I do accept that he's dead. I'm just pointing out that it is not flat-out stated that he died -- so if someone wants, they can use him in another capacity.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Aug 2006 06:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  06:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think the intentions of the quote are quite clearly meant to indicate death. but i do agree with wooly that there is room for other possibilities, even if it is a split hairs width of room. lol

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  01:15:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't going to comment any more in this topic but I'm rereading and reading Rich's trilogy because I've been putting it off.

However, page 69 of the first novel clearly states that the old grand mage died during the fall of the Tower of the Sun. :) So as Rich said and we, mostly, agreed, he went off to Arvandor. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Aug 2006 01:17:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  06:45:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wasn't going to comment any more in this topic but I'm rereading and reading Rich's trilogy because I've been putting it off.

However, page 69 of the first novel clearly states that the old grand mage died during the fall of the Tower of the Sun. :) So as Rich said and we, mostly, agreed, he went off to Arvandor. :)

Ah. In that case, I withdraw my statements. I'd forgotten about that notation.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Teclis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  21:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Teclis's Homepage Send Lord Teclis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be great to have a 3.5ed of Elves of Evermeet as I still feel that it is the most mystical and mysterious of realms.
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see something like ''Elves of Fearun''. That would be fantastic work.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately since there have been books like evermeet and cormanthor:empire of elves. it is really unlikely that WoTC would try and expand in that direction again. Maybe I'm wrong since the change in myth drannor and the events of blackstaff might prompt them to go over the history. Hopefully they not only put together the existing lore but create new lore also.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:52:14  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally would love to see a sourcebook "the Fey of Faerun" (all pun intended, after all they put the "Fae" in Faerun. All bad puns aside, it could detail Evermeet, and other elven realms with emphasis on the relations between the elves and the nymphs, sprites, pixies and other "little people" that live closely with the elves. This would be a new take while still examining the current elven realms...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:58:54  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Unfortunately since there have been books like evermeet and cormanthor:empire of elves. it is really unlikely that WoTC would try and expand in that direction again. Maybe I'm wrong since the change in myth drannor and the events of blackstaff might prompt them to go over the history. Hopefully they not only put together the existing lore but create new lore also.

Unlikely ?! Cormanthyr happens seven centuries before present and Evermeet's a really good but outdated book. Why has WotC released Unapproachable East, Shining South (Silver Marches and Waterdeep are really a ''must release'')and two books about evil organizations then, and year of the dragon (how many books about dragons do we need). Considering the year of the risen elfkin I hope at least for one book about elves or at least forest/sylvan campaign similar to Serpent Kindoms.

Edited by - Marc on 12 Oct 2006 17:59:50
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  18:51:52  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice new avatar Maruluthu. I said unlikely because since alot was covered regarding the past history of the elves only the recent past doesnt have a sourcebook. Seeing as we get history of recent past in novels they probably (kinda rightly) feel taht they've covered all their bases. I wouldn't expect to see anything about elves for a couple years till the FSEvents of the past couple novels actually takes place.
As for a book called Fae of Faerun, the fey are different than the elves. They come from another plane andthe two are separate.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  19:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for a book called Fae of Faerun, the fey are different than the elves. They come from another plane andthe two are separate.

yep

ugghh

don't get me wrong, I am no elf hater...and I would very much enjoy an update of elves in 3E, especially after the last few novel lines (like maybe a focus on the arctic colony!!!) but I really wish that there could be an actual Realms focus on the Dwarves, Gnomes or Halflings...except for Dwarves Deep (which was an early 2E book) there has never been a source book dedicated to any of the three races

If not the "forgotten demi-humans" an actual book on the humanoids of the Realms (orcs, goblinoids, gnolls, etc.)..the Races of Faerun and the Monster Manual IV have just touched on the fact that the savage races actually have a culture too...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  19:35:45  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice new avatar Maruluthu. I said unlikely because since alot was covered regarding the past history of the elves only the recent past doesnt have a sourcebook. Seeing as we get history of recent past in novels they probably (kinda rightly) feel taht they've covered all their bases. I wouldn't expect to see anything about elves for a couple years till the FSEvents of the past couple novels actually takes place.

I've finally found appropriate wild elven avatar (thanks Alaundo)

Of course elves aren't fey. I was saying that this would be a good alternate book if Elves of Faerun isn't going to be released. A book about forests/jungles in FR and their most numerable inhabitants happen to be elves and fey.

From which plane do they come now, House of Nature, Gates of the Moon, or Brightwater ?
Is Faerie another planet in prime material plane or is a outer planar place?

This also hints which book I'd like to see released - a book about World Tree

@Kalin, I agree except the savage culture (not that important)

And aquatic book (but that's asking too much)

Edited by - Marc on 12 Oct 2006 20:46:26
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see an Elves of Faerûn product, but equally a Dwarves of Faerûn. And I wouldn't say no to gnomes or halflings either. Though what I really want is new regional source books a la City of Splendors: Waterdeep or Silver Marches, but that's a different story entirely.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:48:49  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kalin, I agree wholeheartedley, a book on the "forgotten folk" of the Realms would be great... Beirnadri, I know that elves are not fey and they are separate races, my point is that fey and elves often live and work in close proximity. Take for instance Silver Shadows by EC. In the final battle the elves (what was the name of those two tribes, its driving me nuts that I can not remember, its on the tip of my tongue)are helped by the centaurs and... sprites? The old 2E sourcebook about Evermeet talks a little about the fey found on Evermeet. I must admit however that a book about the dwarves and gnomes would be awesome and is more needed. Especially when I keep hearing rumors of a gnome nation somewhere to the East?!?!...

ShadowJack

Edited by - ShadowJack on 12 Oct 2006 20:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Lord Teclis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  21:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Teclis's Homepage Send Lord Teclis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since they have updated the North and other areas via source books like waterdeep and the shining south, they really should listen to there readers and produce an elven type source book..... Maybe like a new 'Ruins' of Myth Drannor but without the ruins bit, this way they can also incorporate Evermeet through it's links with the crusade??? Just a thought
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  06:22:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Especially when I keep hearing rumors of a gnome nation somewhere to the East?!?!...

It's not a rumour. Songfarla in the Sunrise Mountains has existed for years. See the new article in Dragon magazine on the Hordelands for some more info.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  12:47:28  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, When did info on Songfarla first appear in Realms-lore? (sees Alaundo, Sage and a fuzzy hamster headed his way, so he pulls it back onto topic)Did the Grand Mage of Evermeet ever visit there?

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  13:49:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

George, When did info on Songfarla first appear in Realms-lore?
I'm not George, but you can find more lore on Songfarla in Demihuman Deities -- specifically, the Garl Glittergold entry.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000