Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Info on Turmish, Cederspoke, and Orsruan Mountains
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cauzway
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:21:11  Show Profile  Visit cauzway's Homepage Send cauzway a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So this is my first posting here...

As a DM and a manager to a future NWN2 server DM I am creating a module AND a private (not for sale) Novel about the Turmish government sending a nobleman to establish an outpost deep in the Orsraun Mountains. For various reasons that need not be explained here; the outpost was established on the other side of the moutain range, accessible only through Cederspoke, and near the end of Cedar River.

I've got much of the storyline and encounters done. The problem is tying it all down to explainations. I need information on political organizations for these areas and relationships to explain the intrigue.

1. Cedarspoke and Gluthmere forest vs. the Republic of Turmish (what past history do they have? Any way they would work or support eachother?)

2. Cedarspoke vs. Emerald Enclave (because Enclave works with Turmish but seems to be ignored by Cedarspoke?)

3. Cederspoke vs. Orsruan Mountains(city and forest with druids at the foot of a mountain range filled with only evil?)

4. Turmish vs. Orsruan Mountains (besides the usual orc/goblins raids that merc. militias fight, what about the dwarves at Ironfang and the present Turmish relations? What is going on in Ironfang, and why is there another one in Earthspur Mountains?)

5. Underdark vs. Orsruan Mountains (the underdark map shows that directly under the mountain is a rather large variety of races living pretty close.

Things like the present leaders, past politics and events are what I'm looking for. Most of all, how are the socieities organized so that I can weave in some non-official NPCs and stories without interfering with past, present and future events. There seems to be very little developed in this area for lore. I don't want to create a story that involves vast and deep politics between Turmish, Cedarpoke, Emerald Enclave, and the Orsruan Mountains...then have it prove to be garbage.

Edited by - cauzway on 09 Aug 2006 03:24:34

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cauzway

There seems to be very little developed in this area for lore.

Yep, thats the truth...

I can only think of the 2nd Ed. Vilhon Reach module for any real Turmish/Orsraun Mountain information, at least on the surface and the 2nd Ed. Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark which is actually has more info on that region in the Underdark than on the surface.

There is one novel wholly in the Turmish region and a major character in the Song of the Sauril storyline is Turmish.

I'm sure there is also other canon sourses with bits of Turmish lore here and there (like the Sea of Fallen Stars book or the Undersea Seros book)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The coverage of Turmish in Polyhedron #96, 98, 101, 103–108 contains some material that didn't make it into Vilhon Reach (which is a free download).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  04:36:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Jewel of Turmish by Mel Odom

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  12:45:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Fellowship of the Purple Staff" in Champions of Valour (the organisations-chapter).

Note: Due to not having the book at hand, but having a bad memory for names at hand all the time it's more than possible that I botched the name. But there's definately something about a Purple Staff in it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

cauzway
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  02:16:04  Show Profile  Visit cauzway's Homepage Send cauzway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay, great help guys...and gave me some awesome plot and storylines...but, how do I get to those issues of Polyhedron? I've tried signing up for the newsletter on the wizards website...but where do I go to get those Polyhedron issues? #96, 98, 101, 103–108?

PS: Surely there must be more on this region what about the underdark areas, the darklands region?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  03:01:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried looking over the paizco.com website and their back issues for DUNGEON and POLYHEDRON section?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Polyhedron in question is the long-running RPGA newszine; the name was later given to a non-D&D section of Dungeon, then an e-newsletter. Look in the usual sources of out-of-print RPG stuff: noblenight.com, dragontrove.com, eBay, etc.
Go to Top of Page

cauzway
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  18:25:34  Show Profile  Visit cauzway's Homepage Send cauzway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon, I'm a student! I can't afford over $200 just to collect information on this one region...man this is hard work. Please go and voice your opinion about this area...

Surely, would someone be willing to email me some material or better yet, ship the actual books by mail..I'm wiling to pay for the shipping costs...
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  18:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't afford over $200 just to collect information on this one region...

Ahhh this brings back memories of that one time I bought a big box on ebay containing 1500$ worth of FR material and it only cost me 700$ with shipping. Quite a large purchase...well worth it :) Can't do that again with my budget the way it is.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

cauzway
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  21:26:27  Show Profile  Visit cauzway's Homepage Send cauzway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
checked with ebay...so much crap to sift through though...why can't people describe their items much more clearly...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  01:19:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C'mon, I'm a student! I can't afford over $200 just to collect information on this one region...man this is hard work. Please go and voice your opinion about this area...
I'm not sure how effective that would be, since WotC largely follow their own determined path for published Realmslore.

Which is the reason why we've suggested obtaining the older lore. Unless we hear otherwise from WotC, or they themselves determine to focus on these areas in future 3e FR sourcebooks... all we have is the older lore and whatever tidbits any game designers and authors here at Candlekeep can "unofficially" tell us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Sep 2006 01:20:34
Go to Top of Page

w2b
Acolyte

Italy
30 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  17:33:47  Show Profile  Visit w2b's Homepage Send w2b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cauzway, i still haven't read vilhon reach, but i downloaded it (for free, yes, here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads as faraer previously pointed out) and if it is even only half as good as calimport, lands of intrigue and the north (and many more now free 2nd ed items), then i suggest you read it thouroughly and revel in the sheer bliss. if you happen to also have some new sourcebooks like races of faerun, monsters of faerun, lords of darkness and so on, you should have more than enough material to write a saga about turmish. also, maybe you could search the 'so saith ed' section for more turami lore- who knows?... also remeber, what you still don't know- make it up! ^__-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000