Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 race change
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  22:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is tere anyway to magicaly change races? (Sorry if this is dumb :)

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  22:12:01  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Player's Handbook 2 has a whole section where you can retrain (Feats, Class Abilities, Skills, and such) and/or Rebuild (Class, Race, Sex, and such) your character. They involve quests and work with them. It has two such adventures.

The Wizard site has a couple of adventures or ideas that go with rebuilds and retrainings, like Sean K Reynolds Alterntive Deck of Many Things.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  00:54:21  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Savage Species also has suggestions on how one can change their race.
Again usually requiring a quest and/or magical ritual.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  01:20:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During 2e, Steven presented an option in The Lost Level adventure that would allow anyone to become a dwarf and retain their skills. As I recall, that was one of the weirder ways in 2e to allow for transformed races...

-- The adventure, BTW, is available for free download at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  02:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping to change my half-orc to human.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  02:49:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

There are some interesting possibilities in Dragons of Faerun. (I won't say what they are...You'll have to buy the book :)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  03:52:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could die, and hope for a lucky reincarnation... That's about the only method I can think of, off the top of my head.

Out of curiousity, why is this change desired? Is it something the character wants, and if so, why? Or is it something you, the player, want for your character?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Aug 2006 03:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  03:53:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well reincarnation was one way to change race, but that a random roll and character had to die first *wink* in 2nd.

Polymorph other also was a way to go, if unable to save became the new race. Also 2nd.

In 3.5 Reincarnate still can work, but might need to die a few times (with assosciated level loses) to get desired form.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  03:55:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, Kentinal and I had the same idea, at about the same time. They say great minds think alike... That saying has no bearing on this situation, but it is a saying...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  03:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... You see my guy wants to be human. He hates being an orc because he is hated and shuned. He has only one friend and that is a Halfling. He keeps a helm and armour on and says he is a giant human.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  04:12:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is always Wish or Miricle that should work if nothing else does in 3.X. A modified girdle (instead of gender change) also might be an option. A permeriment polymorth enchanted into the girdle. Not sure how I would price it right now, but might be less expensive then a wish.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  05:39:22  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well reincarnation was one way to change race, but that a random roll and character had to die first *wink* in 2nd.

Polymorph other also was a way to go, if unable to save became the new race. Also 2nd.

In 3.5 Reincarnate still can work, but might need to die a few times (with assosciated level loses) to get desired form.

this was my thought as well
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  06:21:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm... You see my guy wants to be human. He hates being an orc because he is hated and shuned. He has only one friend and that is a Halfling. He keeps a helm and armour on and says he is a giant human.

Well it seems like you mostly want a cosmetic change, in that case a polymorph spell would solve the problem most of the time, though some powerful wizards and wards could detect this. But until a wish or similar magic came along it would fool 90% of everyone you meet. There is of course also hats of disguise and such that are more easily canceled but also lets you decide on how to look and can be reused later.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  07:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

wear a funny hat

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  12:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hat of disguise is very cheap and could make your half-orc look human for as long as he needs
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  12:32:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

A hat of disguise is very cheap and could make your half-orc look human for as long as he needs

Yep, will work to "trick" most people. Just those nasty paranoid people going around with True Seeing all the time won't be fooled.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  14:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the Players Handbook II have rules on evolving your character's race as well as their class?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  17:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well his size makes it easy to tell he is not human! He is 7 feet tall!
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  17:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand he also needs to get in a bar that lets no one but humans in. If they find out he is human..... He will lose his head... (The three bars in Arabel)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  17:51:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then a hat of disguise sounds like a good option. Besides, when he is seven feet tall, few people are going to go up to him and accuse him of anything. With a hat he can take the face and body form he needs and switch between bars so to speak.

As I said, there are methods of seeing through this disguise, but in general he will be OK.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  22:07:49  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well his size makes it easy to tell he is not human! He is 7 feet tall!

Hat of Disguise will still handle that.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  03:01:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it would depend on if the bar is warded against other races, or is guarded with true seeing. Though it does not sound like it is warded against other races, because they would not be able to enter to have head cut off.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You could die, and hope for a lucky reincarnation... That's about the only method I can think of, off the top of my head.

Out of curiousity, why is this change desired? Is it something the character wants, and if so, why? Or is it something you, the player, want for your character?

This brings up something I've long wondered about -- if someone does die and gets reincarnated in a form vastly different from their old one (imagine an elf coming back as a dwarf, or even worse, as an orc!) just how exactly are they supposed to convince they're who they say they are? "Honest, cousin Vartan, I really am Lilthindel! Never mind the gray skin and tusks!"

I imagine that this must get even worse for people of some importance or rank if it happens to them. "Wait, regent Alustriel was killed while riding patrol?" "Yes, and totally devoured save for a finger, but it's okay. We found a druid of Chauntea and they cast reincarnate... and here she is now." And in strolls a seven-foot tall female gnoll...

Though I'm guessing that in the latter case they'd just get a wish cast on her ASAP.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

Does the Players Handbook II have rules on evolving your character's race as well as their class?

Yes it does.

There was also something on the Wizards forum like a deck of many things tha5t allowed you to change your race, class, and whatnot, but man it's as random as all heck.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dispellable way to change the race is Polymorph Any Object ... if your DM allows it.

Cheesy: This can be used to turn an Aasimar into an Angel or Deva or a Tiefling into a Demon, since they are outsiders.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  22:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just have baleful polymorph cast on your character and willingly fail the Fortitude save. The problem is that if after 24 hours you fail the Will save, you lose your memories. But you can use spells/potions/items to boost your Will save so the chances of failing are small.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  01:29:46  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This brings up something I've long wondered about -- if someone does die and gets reincarnated in a form vastly different from their old one (imagine an elf coming back as a dwarf, or even worse, as an orc!) just how exactly are they supposed to convince they're who they say they are? "Honest, cousin Vartan, I really am Lilthindel! Never mind the gray skin and tusks!"

I imagine that this must get even worse for people of some importance or rank if it happens to them. "Wait, regent Alustriel was killed while riding patrol?" "Yes, and totally devoured save for a finger, but it's okay. We found a druid of Chauntea and they cast reincarnate... and here she is now." And in strolls a seven-foot tall female gnoll...

Though I'm guessing that in the latter case they'd just get a wish cast on her ASAP.

She would be the first goodlooking gnoll

A ring or amulet with an "alter self" castable once or twice per day would not be impossible to craft or aquire, but we can safly assume that there is no easy way to change races (either the looks or the entire thing)

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  20:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

She would be the first goodlooking gnoll

You haven't seen some of the furry costuming I have (seriously, for some reason, a LOT of young ladies like costuming as hyena-gals).

quote:

A ring or amulet with an "alter self" castable once or twice per day would not be impossible to craft or aquire, but we can safly assume that there is no easy way to change races (either the looks or the entire thing)

Hmm, maybe I should harass poor Mister Greenwood with yet more questions politely ask him just how common (and how ell or badly regarded) race-changing is seen in the Realms?

Edited by - Ardashir on 20 Sep 2008 20:32:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000