Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tharsult
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  11:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know where I can find some information on the Island of Tharsult in the Shining Sea? The most I've found is on the WotC website here : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010509b

Anyone got any more?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  12:32:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed gave me some information on Tharsult a while ago. Not sure if it's for public consumption though. Why don't you ask him on his thread?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  13:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed gave me some information on Tharsult a while ago. Not sure if it's for public consumption though. Why don't you ask him on his thread?

-- George Krashos

Thanks GK. Question posed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  13:44:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tharsult isn't a heavily detailed locale in the Realms.

The 2e Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover has a few brief mentions, as does the 3e Races of Faerun. There's the odd tidbit in Empires of the Shining Sea but these mainly relate Tharsult to places on the coast.

Additionally, Eric had this to say -

"Tharsult is not detailed in Serpent Kingdoms (at least I didn't write it up due to space considerations), although I have a few ideas regarding it. Maybe I'll put them together someday.

As for a tie between Tharsult and the scaly folk, discussions with Ed suggest it was once a lizardman kingdom, but the lizardmen have retreated into the Underdark via the hundreds of limestone tunnels that honeycomb the island. Their descendants now dwell in an isolated region of the Underdark beneath the island but may or may not be thriving.
--Eric"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  03:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards also had this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020227a

a portal to Tharsult from Prespur

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  07:41:26  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Na-Gang's link doesn't work anymore, but I was able to pull up the page using the Internet Wayback Machine.

Paste this text into your browser, as this forum treats it as two separate links: http://web.archive.org/web/20080118172945/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010509b

Just some friendly link updating for anyone who--like me this evening--goes looking for information on Tharsult.

EDIT: George, any chance the info Ed gave you on Tharsult is sharable?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 12 Sep 2013 07:42:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  13:43:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What little detail we have geographically can be found HERE.

I recall something about Lizardmen underneath the island, and them using statues (or some-such) as currency. The former was probably from Ed, and the later (IIRC) was in the 2e update to FR (Forgotten Realms Adventures).

Not much else, off the top of my head.

EDIT:
LOL - just realize this was a case of threadomancy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Sep 2013 13:46:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2013 :  03:49:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that Jeremy has reminded me...
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Additionally, Eric had this to say -

"Tharsult is not detailed in Serpent Kingdoms (at least I didn't write it up due to space considerations), although I have a few ideas regarding it. Maybe I'll put them together someday.

As for a tie between Tharsult and the scaly folk, discussions with Ed suggest it was once a lizardman kingdom, but the lizardmen have retreated into the Underdark via the hundreds of limestone tunnels that honeycomb the island. Their descendants now dwell in an isolated region of the Underdark beneath the island but may or may not be thriving.
--Eric"
I'm curious about whether Eric ever ended up putting these ideas together and making them publicly available?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  10:40:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No he didn't. He was relying on Ed's little piece on Tharsult that he sent through in 2004 or thereabouts.

I don't put out stuff unless it's a private reply from Ed to me after I've asked him a question or three. This write-up was in a format that seemed "official". If Ed gives the green light on his thread, I'm happy to post it there.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000