Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 thief realms what book is good
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

katherinna
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  18:33:47  Show Profile  Visit katherinna's Homepage Send katherinna a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
what book should I read if i wanted to read thief realms?

Mod edit: Moved to the correct section.

katherinne in rp 18 real 30

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Jul 2006 20:01:53

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  20:03:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume you're wanting to read about thieves in the Realms?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Erevis Cale trilogy, and the Rogues series of novels has been pretty popular, too. I've not read any of them, but I know a lot of other scribes like them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  20:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read... the Black Smell? No, sorry, the Black Bouquet, and enjoyed it very much. It's a small story about a few scoundrels fighting over a mcguffin, and is set in the Border Kingdoms. A very enjoyable book.

Edit: Forgot about the City of Ravens. Lots of magic here, but Jack is a rogue as good as they come.

Edited by - Snotlord on 29 Jul 2006 16:29:16
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  22:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've heard nothing but good things about the Erevis Cale trilogy, and the Rogues series of novels has been pretty popular, too. I've not read any of them, but I know a lot of other scribes like them.

Yes, the Erevis Cale trilogy by Paul S. Kemp is excellent and one of the three main characters in the series is a thief.

I recommend that you read Shadow Witness first (Book I of Sembia Series) because it features the same characters and is set before the Erevis Cale trilogy (the thief character also has a major role in this book).

Carthago delenda est.

Edited by - Ignorance Personified on 22 Jul 2006 22:06:28
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  00:15:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

I've read... the Black Smell? No, sorry, the Black Bouquet, and enjoyed it very much. It's a small story about a few scoundrels fighting over a mcguffin, and is set in the Border Kingdoms. A very enjoyable book.

Seconded. I've read all the Rogues novels and enjoyed them.

Haven't read Erevis Cale yet, though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  01:46:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

Specifically, the story takes place in Oeble.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  03:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read the Rogues novels and liked them pretty well. I noticed nobody has listed the titles for the original poster yet so I'll go ahead and do so...

• Black Boquet
  • Alabaster Staff
  • Yellow Silk
  • Crimson Gold

I recently started the Erevis Cale trilogy (I'm on book 2 right now; Dawn of Night) and it's excellent.

Anohter book about Rogues that people haven't mentioned yet is Elminster: Making of a Mage (1/3 of the book is rogue-ish)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  03:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Anohter book about Rogues that people haven't mentioned yet is Elminster: Making of a Mage (1/3 of the book is rogue-ish)

True, but it's not really a "rogue book", specifically...a lot of novels have "roguish stuff" in them.

I hear tell Jack Ravenwild from City of Ravens is something of a rogue, but I cannot confirm that since I haven't read that novel yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  03:59:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not something of a rogue - class levels in sorcerer aside, he is the epitomised D&D Forgotten Realms rogue.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Not something of a rogue - class levels in sorcerer aside, he is the epitomised D&D Forgotten Realms rogue.

Oh, even better.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  05:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read any book that features Torm of Westgate, such as the Shandril's Saga and Shadow of the Avatar series.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  07:38:32  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One may also want to consider "King Pinch" (if you can still find it - I do not know of it has been reprinted). The principal characters (would not dare to call them "heroes" ) are a gang of thieves.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

One may also want to consider "King Pinch" (if you can still find it - I do not know of it has been reprinted).

Nope. But one can still buy it used.

Go to Top of Page

Akukakk
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  05:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Akukakk's Homepage Send Akukakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya, if your interested in thieve's check out all of the Rogues series. Though Yellow Silk is bard/rogue, it is still good. and Everis Cale series is really good also, but u should probably read the sembian series to get the background info on it.
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  06:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that City of Ravens by Richard Baker was a very entertaining, light read with lots of humour. Check it out!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll also back up anyone favouring City of Ravens, it's a good book and Jack Ravenwild is a cool character.
And Faraer is right, Torm of the Knights of Myth Drannor is perhaps *the* rogue to be looking up.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  07:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I strongly Recommend The Yellow Silk one of the best FRs I've ever read. The Black Bounquet is good just because Sefris is so Badass
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  11:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read many fantasy books, and i going to say this quietly : The Erevis Cale trilogy!!!!!!!!!

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 27 Dec 2006 11:25:07
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  13:17:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can still get hold of it, "King Pinch", by David Cook, features a small gang of thieves.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  16:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevis Cale is a must read.
And you should try The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:28:03  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
read City of Ravens. It was very good.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  04:27:24  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

read City of Ravens. It was very good.

Seconded !
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  04:42:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of Salvatores novels feature thief characters. I have especially enjoyed the latest tales of Entreri and Jarlaxle
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  23:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

Erevis Cale is a must read.
And you should try The Lost Library of Cormanthyr

The star of Lost Library was actually a ranger, but since he doubles as an artifact-seeker, that novel could be ideal for lovers of traditional rogue-type characters.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  00:40:43  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Many of Salvatores novels feature thief characters. I have especially enjoyed the latest tales of Entreri and Jarlaxle

Not to steal from Mr. Odom but "seconded".

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  03:15:37  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's Daughter. In it, there's much thievery afoot.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  12:26:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

One may also want to consider "King Pinch" (if you can still find it - I do not know of it has been reprinted). The principal characters (would not dare to call them "heroes" ) are a gang of thieves.

Great book! Definitly worth the trouble looking for it, IMO.

Has anyone mentioned 'Elminster: making of a mage' yrt?! There is a section deticated to Els roguish history as well.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 29 Dec 2006 12:28:30
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  12:38:30  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THE BLACK BOUQUET

An excellent rogue-ish novel in my opinion. I loved this novel! Whoever said it before was right; Sefris is a badass, despicable, but a great villian... The thief in the book is one of my favorite Realms rogues (why can I not remember his name?) The Realms needs a good thief story focusing on a halfling thief!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Koushiro
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  22:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Koushiro's Homepage Send Koushiro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Alabaster Staff was a pretty good rogue novel in my opinion, and as a bonus it is set in a rather undercovered but important part of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Koushiro

The Alabaster Staff was a pretty good rogue novel in my opinion, and as a bonus it is set in a rather undercovered but important part of the realms.

And unlike the other protagonists in the Rogue series, the star rogue in that book actually gives everything she takes back to others, to her own detriment. One can correctly state that that's incredibly stupid on her part (she is too good for her own good), but I liked it because it's so different from the rogues one normally sees.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  01:42:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Koushiro

And unlike the other protagonists in the Rogue series, the star rogue in that book actually gives everything she takes back to others, to her own detriment. One can correctly state that that's incredibly stupid on her part (she is too good for her own good), but I liked it because it's so different from the rogues one normally sees.

Kind of robinhood-ish. I liked this one. good storyline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000