Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 To be a dm or not to be?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok this is a once in a life time chance:We are dmless and i have been picked to be a dm.Should i be a dm or stick with playing?

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:48:28  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's up to you. It's a hard thing to do, and requires a lot of work and time.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

Ok this is a once in a life time chance:We are dmless and i have been picked to be a dm.Should i be a dm or stick with playing?

It can be alot of work and sometimes all that work doesn't pan out the way you like it but you should at least try to be DM, it may give you insight that will help you become a better player

to be a DM (in my opinion) you need to be pretty creative to entertain your players, have a good grasp of the rules so things will run smoothly, be a storyteller with a grasp of the dramatic and mostly have a good dose of patience

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever GMed before?
Can you tell a story?
Do you like presenting a story?
Are you ruthless?
Do you like tossing people into the frying pan and watch them sizzle?

If you answered at least 3 of those questions with yes...go ahead!

In all honesty...how do you want us to reply to that question??? We don't know anything about your opinion etc. To know the rules makes no good GM. Neither does knowing the lore. It helps, yes, but the main question is: do you wanna GM?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:55:11  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you feel like DM-ing you should, if you don't someone else should. As GothicDan said, it is a lot of work, but it is also very rewarding, at least to me. Maybe you should try it a couple of times and then decide if it is something you have a taste for.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  22:52:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most importantly - if you commit to the task, remember that you are the DM. You are only the DM. You lead the game, you manage the it and through your actions and words the game is brought to the imagination of your players. BUT the most important thing in your game should always be the players!!! Let them be the heroes!!!

I never thought dming could be great fun! But I have proven myself to be wrong!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  22:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.I am going to give it a try!If I dont like it i will let someone else do it.i think i will like it.i love to write and tell stories and everyone says i good at it so:What the heck!Lets give it a try!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:11:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

It's up to you. It's a hard thing to do, and requires a lot of work and time.
Agreed.

Familiarity with the basic principles of both the PHB and DMG are essential. As well, significant knowledge of the setting itself, while not crucial, helps greatly since you won't frequently have to stop the game or quickly flip through books during rounds to find a particular reference.

If you do decide to do this... I'd say you you spend an extensive amount of time planning before the game itself. Stick to the parts of the setting your are familiar with, or know a lot about, and work from there.

And, above all, remind your players that this is your first time as DM, so a little patience on their parts helps you as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Jul 2006 01:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Sgain
Acolyte

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Sgain's Homepage Send Sgain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're going to use 3.5 then specify what books/rules/prestige classes/races that the players can/can't be in advance of the game. Don't for any reason, let them choose, it will just cause you a ton of grief and confusion. Also, learn to be a bit tight with loot at first...dole it out in small amounts, don't go giving away +5 swords and such, you'll regret it later.

Keep track of NPC's (I keep a little journal of them and how the players and they got along), it really will add to the feel of your game if they get to 'know' folks.

Have fun...if it isn't fun, then figure out why, change it, or move on.

Good luck.

Wanna play online? Try out Klooge! www.kloogeinc.com
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once you get started please don't hesitate to stop by and post a scroll letting us know how things went or if you need help in some way.

Good luck!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  02:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote:Stick to the parts of the setting your are familiar with

Yes.I am going to start out with the sword coast,the spine and cromyr.Thats what i know most about.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  03:26:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

Well.I am going to give it a try!If I dont like it i will let someone else do it.i think i will like it.i love to write and tell stories and everyone says i good at it so:What the heck!Lets give it a try!

Exactly my friend!
Go to Top of Page

Evro
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  13:22:56  Show Profile Send Evro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best part is that you regularly get to sit back with a knowing smile and go 'MUWAHAHAHA'. :D
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  14:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being DM rocks. You create a story that if done well leaves your players stunned and wanting more. Plus you get to create whatever you want. Watch movies, read books, flip through some history, read through candlekeep's archives, read your DnD resources on FR and get to work on your masterpeice! Playing is awesome too, but to be DM is to be an Archmage with all the power in the world. Do not abuse it. Mwhahahahahah!!!!!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:07:51  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
If you do decide to do this... I'd say you you spend an extensive amount of time planning before the game itself. Stick to the parts of the setting your are familiar with, or know a lot about, and work from there.

I can't agree more on this point. An article I read many years ago (can't remember the source but I'd hazard a guess at Dragon) suggested that for each hour of play planned, spend that many hours in the week before preparing for the game. I've followed this formula, and found that it makes for much better, smoother games that are (generally) enjoyed more by the players...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  19:11:13  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As everyone has said, it's a heck of a lot of work but well worth it. Personally, I probably spend 3 to 4 hours planning for every hour of game. Since we generally do 8-10 hour marathons that means I spend roughly 20-30 hours on each game, though a lot of that work is on the things happening around the PCs, rather than the things happening to the PCs.

Another couple of things I'll suggest;

Don't go into the game with expectations of what your players will do, they'll surprise you just about every time.

Start small, with limited options. A small frontier type town with a low population is great, you can decide what's in the town and have a good idea about how the folks in town will react to various PC actions. Don't go for intrigue yet, just run something pretty darned standard. Once you get a feel for your PCs and a feel for the area you're running then you can throw in some intrigue, but let that come with time.

Don't let your players bully you. Sometimes folks get heated and have a totally different perception of what's going on then you hoped to provide. I had a player basically flip out because he tried to slip a truth elixer into a high priest's tea and the high priest noticed (he'd rolled really high, but I'd already decided that he wouldn't be able to hit the roll because it was in the high priests temple, in his own chambers, things got decently heated but calmed down eventually, and we're mostly late 20's early 30's folks)

Be a bit forgiving when the players misinterpret what you've described. A word when someone decides to do something really dumb can save quite a few headaches. This is a delicate balance though, because sometimes players are all about doing something really stupid (personally, I love doing heroically suicidal things with my PCs, it's quite satisfying when it works out and usually pretty damned amusing when it doesn't, even if I have to roll up a new PC *g*)

And, make sure you're having fun. It's a ton of work to DM, so if you're not having fun then. . . well. . . it's a pretty big waste. ;D

Good luck, let us know how it went!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  20:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always end up spending at least as much time planning as we do playing. And I don't really know how to reduce this. That is why I only DM about once a year.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Glantir
Acolyte

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  20:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Glantir's Homepage Send Glantir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

Don't let your players bully you. Sometimes folks get heated and have a totally different perception of what's going on then you hoped to provide.

After sixteen years as a GM I stopped listening to sentences like "That encounter is too hard. This dungeon is impossible. The NPC is unbalanced etc."
When I heard such comments in my first GM-year I thought that I did something wrong and took all the whining seriously. Eventually I asked if I should resign, but the same players told me then "No, you do a great job. We don't want anything else."
I also noticed that even so they were complaining, these players always came back, week after week, month after month and didn't miss a single session. Actually these guys take part in my current campaign and yes, they are still whining .

It's like they say in the army: "If they are complaining, they are happy."

Remembering this last sentence will make life a lot easier for you.

Edited by - Glantir on 12 Aug 2008 20:46:53
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  22:08:14  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I always end up spending at least as much time planning as we do playing. And I don't really know how to reduce this. That is why I only DM about once a year.

Heh, mine is monthly, with an occasional month off when things are busy.

Of course 4 of the 7 players live 2 hours away, and getting 8 folks (including myself) on the same timetable is a beast to begin with. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  22:35:45  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, actually, the planning is a big part of the enjoyment, the plotting, the careful musing on how your NPCs will react (and then the thrill of having to improvise anyway, because the players have done something completely off the wall - again.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  23:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always end up spending at least twice as much time planning as we do playing. And I don't really know how to reduce this. That is why I only DM about once a year.
Opps, I left out a key word (in bold) in the comment above; maybe now it will make more sense.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 12 Aug 2008 23:22:34
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  00:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself enjoy poring over my FR books in preparation of a campaign or game session. Some of it is a lot of work but some of it is a lot of fun also.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  01:12:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shottglazz

An article I read many years ago (can't remember the source but I'd hazard a guess at Dragon) suggested that for each hour of play planned, spend that many hours in the week before preparing for the game. I've followed this formula, and found that it makes for much better, smoother games that are (generally) enjoyed more by the players...

You're probably thinking of what Ed said back in '04 about good campaign design:- "... any good DM will spend about 4 hours of design time for every 1 hour of playing time."

Wise words indeed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000