Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Drow as low-level adversaries?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  18:01:24  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sages, I come seeking your wisdom... I finished a "chapter" of my current campaign and I am ready to start the next. My characters are 1-3 level. They have been chasing a rogue Red Wizard (6th level, minor power in Thay, but well connected) around the North. The Red Wizard has been using a gate network built by a major elven family of Earlann to transport slaves and aid him in his search for lost elven magic. The wizard always travels with a small group of Gnoll mercenaries for protection. The PC's have encountered these Gnolls twice now. The wizard escaped their clutches and disappeared. Here is the deal, I would like to introduce a different type of foe for them to deal with... Is it appropriate to use Drow without making them seem too common, under-powered and not menacing enough? I guess what I am asking is, is it a good idea to introduce them into a low-level campaign? I am not sure if they will be recurring enemies or not. The Red Wizard is planned as a recurring villain. The drow and this Red Wizard will be conducting business, slave trade or some-such. Any advice would be helpful! I hope this makes sense...

ShadowJack

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  18:57:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure. Just make it a small group, with levels that aren't too far past the PC levels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  19:14:05  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And remember the reasons the Drow have a +2 LA. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  23:28:41  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

And remember the reasons the Drow have a +2 LA. ;)

Drow are tricky because at low levels, their power just doesn't match up with their challenge rating. A 1st level drow rogue is CR 2, but really hasn't earned that. A group of 2-4 of them is a pretty high CR for a 1st-3rd level party, but that party would have a good shot at beating them. When drow get to higher levels, though, the boost in attributes, spell resistance, and spell-like abilities can make a leveled character a real problem.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  23:33:52  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno. I think that SR is pretty much equally a pain-in-the-arse for all levels, since it's scalable. Drow have, what, an SR of 11 + their level? So, 2nd level Drow would have an SR of 13. That's pretty tough for a party of 1st-3rd level adventurers (every other spell on them failing at best, statistically).

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  00:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're worried about ruining the drow mystique, you could run in the opposite direction: introduce a bunch of low-level drow characters, watch them die, and have the players get the idea that drow are push-overs. Then hit them with the elite strike force using magic they've never even heard of and watch their heads spin.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:15:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha. I like that idea, Hoondatha.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:35:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one problem with any LA race is the low hit points when facing higher level characters. Drow SR does them no good when a sword cuts them down. The Dex can help a little from being hit, but a class level 1 mage will die if hit by two arrows (if the second is even needed).

Also low lwvel PCs level 3 or so would not have that many spells to cast in the first place.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  12:17:25  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the good advice! Hoondatha, you scare me! That is seriously twisted! I like that, wish I would have thought of that...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The one problem with any LA race is the low hit points when facing higher level characters. Drow SR does them no good when a sword cuts them down. The Dex can help a little from being hit, but a class level 1 mage will die if hit by two arrows (if the second is even needed).

Also low lwvel PCs level 3 or so would not have that many spells to cast in the first place.

Which is a reason why the CR system makes no sense to me, still. Completely different situations lead to different challenges.

I play only spellcasters, so; SR is worth a lot of an LA in respect to said casters.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  18:33:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all honesty, CR and EL make more sense to me than static XP, because at higher levels, it makes perfect sense that if Lord Exadventurer is leading purple dragons in Cormyr and fighting off orcs and hobgoblins all the time, and none of them are really a challenge to him, it helps to explain while, dispite him being active, he has stayed a 12th level fighter for the last ten years.

On the other hand, it isn't a perfect system, and there are times when you have to "tweak" encounters and such. Then again, (don't tell anyone), while I like the system, I usually divide XP by half or fouths to slow down advancement . . .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  18:37:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, a note about the drow and using their abilities. I always had a hard time with drow taking advantage of their darkness ability because it would affect their allies as well (your darkness doesn't know who your friends are, so if you are within 20 feet of them, you screw them up as well). In the Miniatures Handbook they mention substituting Veil of Shadows for darkness, which is a personal range spell, meaning that individual drow can go into an encounter with it with their concealment without affecting their "friends."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  18:43:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2E experience system worked fine if you consider the fact that it took much longer, and more XP points, to actually level at mid and upper levels especially. A 14th level wizard could kill a thousand orcs and not gain a level. And, if you had DMs like I did, you wouldn't get XP for it anyway, since he didn't award XP for combat unless it utilized something more intrinsic about expanding our class abilities.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

wildmage
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  17:21:33  Show Profile  Visit wildmage's Homepage Send wildmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Along the lines of KnightErrantJR's comment about "tweaking," I think Drow are a good example of NPC's that can benefit from a couple levels of warrior or expert. Get 2 more hit dice, some BAB increase, some skill points, and only 1 increase in CR. Or, just give each drow an additional 2 HD and don't touch the CR. I seem to remember hearing something about the Drow in the City of the Spider Queen module all carrying items that gave them additional HPs.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  17:38:21  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was the topic again? Oh... drow plots. Remember to use poison. Drow without poison are just tanned skinny gnomes.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  19:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the suggestion. It's one of those hit-or-miss things, where if it works it's great and if it doesn't it doesn't.

And I totally agree about the poison. Drow are famous for it. Also, the Underdark is a confined, 3-d environment that your players and the PC's may not be familiar with. Use ambushes, hit and run tactics, and take advantage of ledges and other geographical features (the same is true with surface elves in forests). This works especially well when you factor in the poison, and if you get higher level drow that can levitate into position. Don't just send them charging mindlessly into battle... that's what orc slaves are for.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  00:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest use house Jaelre drows and sue them as 2lvl warriors (perhaps one adept) to make them CR 2 foes. I would suggest 5 of them get a total nice sum of CR 5 encounter and these drows would definently have daylight adaption feat. Other case is to get two drow rogues, two drow fighters and one cleric of Vhaeraun and all being 1lvl.

Pair rogues whit fighters if any melee issues but drow do not play fair and Jaelre house drows KNOW how to move in surface so they can lay traps and good ranged combat ambushes. I think all drows would be using shortbows instead crossbows and would use definently poison.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  02:00:17  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very glad I asked this question! How could I forget about drow sleep-poison? I also like the suggestion of using House Jhaelre drow; already adapted to the daylight and easier to explain their having dealings with a minor level Red Wizard! One more step in his "slave-trading for profit scheme" to fund his treasure seeking in old elven ruins... Methinks this Red Wizard (and the Jhaelre drow-unbeknownst to him) have an unhealthy desire for Vyshaan magic...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000