Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff: Chapters 28 - 40
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  21:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Thank you very much, Dhomal.

As for that conference call, come on up to Ann Arbor Michigan the weekend before Thanksgiving to U-Con and you can conference with Ed and Paul Kemp too!

Steven

Hello-

I recall hearing about that at GenCon IIRC, and it is Very tempting! However - working in retail means time off in Nov and Dec can be dicey. However - the actual issue is more of a monetary one. :( Today - 4 new tires for the car, as well as alignment! And even if money was not an issue - I'm not sure how I would feel driving that far (which is not really That far) with my car - I'm about 10 miles short of 265K on it, so I tend to be wary of longer trips! LOL

That all being said - I'm not totally ignoring the idea!

What days/times would be the best if I decided to come? I could justify it more if I only had 1 night in a hotel. :)

Id the Mongolian Grill still in Ann Arbor, BTW?

Dhomal

The last I'd heard, the seminar was set for Saturday afternoon sometime.

Can't say a thing about Mongolian Grills though, other than they always give me heartburn.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  21:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the kind comments, Frethesh; I'll answer what questions I can below, but many of them fall under NDA protections and can't be discussed.

quote:
Originally posted by Frethesh
So, but now for the reasons (beyond my applause for your work Mr. Schend) for my post here:
- Since my mage (well known by now, as far I can boast) still sits at the end of the winding
water river and the High Moor is not that far a distance.. I guess there is a chance for him
to be a part of one of the outer circles? As far as I know there was no complete name-count
for the mages who joined the "Blackstaff Ritual"?

No complete name count for the outer circles, no, so your character could be involved for your campaign, if he had some prior connections to Khelben...

quote:

- Since I read the whole scroll posted here and someone did the work already, may I get the
list of known mages involved in the "Blackstaff Ritual" with their items and positions?
- For the City of Hope:
I want facts! :-)
Here some of my personal interest:
Will WOTC come up with a factbook? (surely with more novels on this city, 'cause this is
plain new playground for authors?)
According to the Novel, the sentinel-towers of the city bear certain different functions?
What are the names of those towers and their Hope-Blades?
Did those blades gain new features during the ritual in the way the elven-family-blades were
fitted with a new feature by a new wielder of their family?
What are the protectice properties or "sharn-properties" of the streets and the city-walls?
How are they supposed to be triggered?
How can an adventurer find this "Avalon"-City?
- The "Blackstaff-Ritual" reminded me of the one I read on the weaving used to veil
the capital of Cormanthor in its Mythal. There also had to be a "living sacrifice", who
became some kind of guardian in this artwork.
Now, Mr. Schend, with the sharn involved in the city streets+wall, was the similarity
to that mythal-creation a "intended coincidence"?
And by picking up another thought from this scroll: Is the raising of a mythal "evil"
cause it needs a "living sacrifice"?
- Since I just also finished The Last Mythal 1; is the City of Hope also going to be
shielded by a mythal? It seems fit, cause high-magic was used to raise it and there
are many powerful wizards who would appreciate the benefits of a mythal for their studies..

I'm sorry to say that most if not all of those questions on Rhymanthiin fall under an NDA; all I can say is to read through my other comments where I touch on some aspects of it.

I don't know if WotC will do a sourcebook about the city; if I find the time, I might try and do something for Dragon about it, but we'll see.

No, casting a mythal isn't evil.

The sharn properties of walls/roads are simply that the sharn can emerge from any surface throughout the city or any of the sentinel tors. And that's all I'm allowed to say on that point.

Wish I could provide more answers, but there's enough hints and info in the novel for you to set up this city for your campaigns (at least I like to think so).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  02:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Late to comment on this excellent tome, but here goes...

What I want to post in response to the novel (which I thought was brilliant btw., though I hated to see my favourite realms char go...and sniffed a litle, too..), are simply three particular thanks...

Firstly and foremostly...Semmemmon (and Ashemmi, since they can´t be parted *g*)!
Thank you so much for delivering him, as I always thought he should be delivered. Now of course, I know that´s my personal taste, but seeing him presented in a novel the way I´ve always imagined him (and used him in my home campaign) was simply fantastic. Jeez, I´d love you to write a trilogy about that pair...(or, like, ten...eleven...books? You get the idea, I´m sure.)Having read every FR paperpack except for the Netheri-Barbarian Trilogy, I have to say, Semmemmon in this novel counts as one of my all-time highlights.

Secondly...Nain Keenwhistler.Since events in my campaign just forced a PC apprentice upon him *cough*, I was thoroughly delighted with his presentation. I fell out of my chair once actually, because I was laughing so hard.

Thirdly...the Elminster and the Tressym-scene...old-school Realms humour...´nuff said.

I really have to say, with this amount of NPCs demanding their due in the novel, it could have easily become a total cluster-you-know-what...something I think you handled simply fantastic.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  03:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Late to comment on this excellent tome, but here goes...

What I want to post in response to the novel (which I thought was brilliant btw., though I hated to see my favourite realms char go...and sniffed a litle, too..), are simply three particular thanks...

Firstly and foremostly...Semmemmon (and Ashemmi, since they can´t be parted *g*)!
Thank you so much for delivering him, as I always thought he should be delivered. Now of course, I know that´s my personal taste, but seeing him presented in a novel the way I´ve always imagined him (and used him in my home campaign) was simply fantastic. Jeez, I´d love you to write a trilogy about that pair...(or, like, ten...eleven...books? You get the idea, I´m sure.)Having read every FR paperpack except for the Netheri-Barbarian Trilogy, I have to say, Semmemmon in this novel counts as one of my all-time highlights.

Secondly...Nain Keenwhistler.Since events in my campaign just forced a PC apprentice upon him *cough*, I was thoroughly delighted with his presentation. I fell out of my chair once actually, because I was laughing so hard.

Thirdly...the Elminster and the Tressym-scene...old-school Realms humour...´nuff said.

I really have to say, with this amount of NPCs demanding their due in the novel, it could have easily become a total cluster-you-know-what...something I think you handled simply fantastic.

Thank you very much for the compliments, Dart. They're very much appreciated. I'm glad the novel worked for you on those levels.

Steven
who wonders how many people remembered the cat-mage from the ritual whose only appearance was in Dragon magazine long ago...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  05:35:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

who wonders how many people remembered the cat-mage from the ritual whose only appearance was in Dragon magazine long ago...

I remember her, of course, and I liked seeing her in action.

I recognized her from the article. Not only is Elsura Dauniir an intriguing character, but she was written up in the same article as one of my fave NPCs -- Baelam the Bold. The article was "Lone Wolves", by Ed, and it appeared in Dragon 172.

Plus, you bumped her up a level and made her a member of the Tel'Teukiira in Cloak & Dagger. So that Dragon article wasn't quite her only appearance.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Oct 2006 05:35:47
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  10:11:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>So, Mr. Schend, is there any chance of getting some stats for the >>new-and-improved Tsarra? Just a ballpark type thing? Please?
>>Ballpark: Ranger 3/Sorcerer 10/Arcane Archer 2
>>SES

Hey Steven, since I know someone will be forced to develop her, take the eldritch knight and spellsword into account (she's wearing armor, and since she favors the bow she's going to want a good BAB). If I had to recommend, I'd say try ranger 2 / sorceror 4 / spellswd 3 / eld knight 4 / Arcane Archer 2 (this puts her a level higher than you had her but keeps all the spellcasting, adds several fighter feats to focus on bow-work, gives some balanced saves, gives better hp... and while some might complain about too many prestige classes, it makes absolutely total sense as a build and doesn't break any rules)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  12:07:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The aging bounty hunter sat watching his prey in a shady bar near the docks of Lyrabar. Sleyvas of Thay took care to conceal his interest in his current mark, Talkose Maranas, a haughty bloodcowl known for his ring crafting skills in the local enclave. He took particular delight in hunting a fellow countryman, especially after being forced into exile for "treasonous acts". However, Sleyvas took even more delight that he had been recommended for the job by Myrddin Viligoth, a traitorous red wizard who had come to serve Ilmater and the Triad, to Orauzalar, Impiltur's foremost sage on the intrigues of Thay. Apparently Talkose had not only made himself welcome to Orauzalar's wife through enchantments and followed up by mind-raping her of the event, but he had done so in order to gain access to the loremaster's secret libary on ancient Narfell.
Stealing secrets Sleyvas could forgive, for it was all part of the job of magecraft. After all, noone more firmly believed in the motto "Alavairthae" than the warrior mage who had taken up a new life in another new body. Many were the spun illusions and duplicitous acts Sleyvas had enacted in order to advance his own knowledge of the art. Using magic to mess with another man's woman, however, he just plain couldn't respect. Erasing memories was something also unforgivable, though Sleyvas had his own private shames in his past. It struck a chord too close to home, and part of him felt that by putting down this rogue he might just be making the world better for the wife whom he would never be able to see again, lest he put her in danger. Thinking of Melarra dredged up old hurts... hurts the old wizard sought to drown by swigging another shot of the vitriol this tavern labeled as "Tethyrian Stout".
At first, Sleyvas thought the tingling he felt in his head was a sign that he needed to lay off the hard liquor until he finished the job, but he knew his ward against alcoholic effects were still in place. Then he recognized it for what it was. It had been years ago that he had setup the oraculum which periodically checked on the life forces of certain very powerful archmages across Faerun. As the image of the Blackstaff formed in his mind, Sleyvas couldn't help but verbalize his disbelief by shouting, "By Azuth's Flaming Flatulence, I can't believe the Bla--".
Just as suddenly he felt his mind rocked by a tracing spell as he heard the mocking laugh of Khelben in his skull, "What you old spellslinger, did you honestly think I didn't know you were monitoring me? By the way, thanks for crafting the oraculum, its been very useful for me and the other chosen over the years. You really should have looked into closing off the ability of attuning oneself to it when you finished it. Oh, and I wouldn't want knowledge of my death to get about too quickly you know, which is why I wove in this contingency.... having to keep secrets and all. You understand, don't you?".
Sleyvas found himself staring into space momentarily. He had been about to say something, but he couldn't quite remember what it was. Instinct took over when the first spell was tossed at him, bringing him back to the reality of his situation. Somehow the old bounty hunter had drawn attention to himself and his prey had turned on him, causing the release of his spell trap. Drawing his blades and uttering the declaration, "Alavairthae", several other hung spells were released upon his person. Blood spatters painted the walls of the tavern as the invisible swordsman slaughtered the fool who had thought he might escape the grasp of the infamous bounty hunter, Sleyvas of Thay.

Steven, thank you SOOOO much. I can't believe I didn't get around to reading this book until now (as you can tell, I'm a couple months behind on all my FR stuff). Thank you for showing Kyriani. Wonderful depictions of Khelben and Laeral. If Khelben had to die, this is by far the BEST way. How oh how will his poor nephew react to the new Blackstaff ordering his song mage butt around? I loved the Halaster / Priamon part. Sememmon and Ashemmi where they are striving to do better... just great. Elminster as the great negotiator, true to form. The Wands family, gotta see more of it. From a game standpoint too, great move for the realms. I admit to not being a Myth Drannor / Northlands sage, but there's a huge amount of lore in all this that I'm dying to dig into. I know those who aren't realmslore buffs may feel the ending was a little long, for those of us who are buffs we appreciate it. For your first novel, this was wonderful.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  14:51:24  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything Sleyvas said , I don't remember when one fantasy novel/book fascinated me this much (especially how Rhymanthiin was developed, all scenes with Nameless and the amounts of lore coming from various sources all nicely put together)

Though I have some questions, what happened to Ualair's selu'kiira? (I'm terrified to think that Ashemmi is near the gem)

And about actions of my favourite NPC Nuvian Eyes-Ashen, the Crusader of Sehanine?

And about Chvar Eldenbow, the Loreseeker of Oghma

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  18:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing thats interesting that I didnt say before... is how much the tone of this book reminded me of the Baldurs Gate games. I love the continuation of the flavor in this aspect. I think it had something to do with fighting southern wizards.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  19:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

I agree with everything Sleyvas said , I don't remember when one fantasy novel/book fascinated me this much (especially how Rhymanthiin was developed, all scenes with Nameless and the amounts of lore coming from various sources all nicely put together)

Though I have some questions, what happened to Ualair's selu'kiira? (I'm terrified to think that Ashemmi is near the gem)

And about actions of my favourite NPC Nuvian Eyes-Ashen, the Crusader of Sehanine?

And about Chvar Eldenbow, the Loreseeker of Oghma

Thanks

Honestly, I'd forgotten to do anything with Ualair's selu'kiira. Thus, there's a number of things that can be done. Until Wotc addresses it, it's up in the air as to what's canonical or not.

A) It (and he, as the former Grand Mage of Cormanthyr) has joined with the Highfire Crown and it is now composed of 14 individual gems/personages that lurk about the Realms and come together when called or desired to do so. [This is the most likely happening.]

B) Someone of elvish descent in the ritual has gained Ualair's selu'kiira and is using it. [This makes it perfect for introduction into a campaign if an NPC your players interact with suddenly starts having insights and more knowledge about things...]

C) ELminster or one of the Chosen (not Laeral, though) has received the kiira and holds it for safe-keeping. [This is the 2nd most likely thing to happen, and then said Chosen can bequeath it to a deserving person.]

D) The gem blips around the Realms, temporarily attaching itself to items and leading people it deems worthy into Rhymanthiin.

Hope those options help out. Sorry I didn't seal up that plotline in the book.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  20:04:16  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steven, these options are even better than sealing the plotline, I like B) and D)

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2006 :  20:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>So, Mr. Schend, is there any chance of getting some stats for the >>new-and-improved Tsarra? Just a ballpark type thing? Please?
>>Ballpark: Ranger 3/Sorcerer 10/Arcane Archer 2
>>SES

Hey Steven, since I know someone will be forced to develop her, take the eldritch knight and spellsword into account (she's wearing armor, and since she favors the bow she's going to want a good BAB). If I had to recommend, I'd say try ranger 2 / sorceror 4 / spellswd 3 / eld knight 4 / Arcane Archer 2 (this puts her a level higher than you had her but keeps all the spellcasting, adds several fighter feats to focus on bow-work, gives some balanced saves, gives better hp... and while some might complain about too many prestige classes, it makes absolutely total sense as a build and doesn't break any rules)

Thanks for the ideas, but I don't have the sources for the EK or SS for more info. Also, the reason she's a 10th level sorcerer is to make her unique spell possible. She needs that high a caster level to have that Weavetrack spell (seen in the novel), which is hers and hers alone until she can write it down and teach it to someone.

Again, thanks very much for all the kind comments and that short-short story in your other response. Loads of fun....and a reminder that Khelben probably has programmed any number of false readings into people's scryes of him to prevent knowledge of his death from leaking out quickly.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Galaeron Nihmedu
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  02:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Galaeron Nihmedu's Homepage Send Galaeron Nihmedu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mr. Schend. I still have more questions, though, if you don't mind. Do sharn usually have three heads and two main arms per body, and does the number of heads they have equal the number of souls they have sharing that body? (I know they share a group mind, but I'm not sure if they share individual bodies except for the big sharn comprising the three grand mages of Miyeritar.) I also notice in the book that the high magic city that the story revolves around is referred to as both Rhymanthiin and Faer'tel'miir. Is Faer'tel'miir the old name and Rhymanthiin the new? And the Three Watchers—the three grand mages of Rhymanthiin named T'karon, Hamra, and Alunor—are they the leaders of the sharn and the ones who first divised the means to become sharn, thus making them the original sharn?

And about Oacenth's Vow…Khelben says Oacenth was the coronal and grand mage of Jhyrennstar and that the last person the Three Watchers spoke to in any direct manner was he (Page 265, Ch. 30). Was his vow about uniting all races to work together and live in peace or some such?

Those Miyeritaari who chose to remain sharn would have become dhaerow with the Corellon's Descent if they had not remained sharn. I think I read in some Forgotten Realms sourcebook that dhaerow meant "traitor" and was what the elves called the drow, and the Corellon's Descent was the spell that transformed the dark elves into drow, right?

Akhelben is Elvish for "blackstaff," right? And what eventually happens to Danthra the Dreamer? Does her spirit move on to the heavens, or is she revived?

I originally posted this to the thread for chapters 18 - 27, but I figured it would be better here. Kuje answered my question about Danthra:

quote:
Steven said this about that, earlier in the year on Keep in a thread.

Sorry about that dropped plot thread. I'd planned a scene at the end where Tsarra visits the Dreamer in her new state, but as I already was running long, it never got developed. My bad.

Danthra still exists in a new state in Rhymanthiin. Think of it as a combination of visiting Sylune in Shadowdale, the Oracle at Delphi, and the Mouth of Truth in Rome (think Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday). She's a whisper in the ear of penitents seeking oracular advice, and she's able to manifest visually when the moon is more than half full (but only as a wispy ghostlike figure).

That help? Again, apologies for leaving her hanging there....

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  21:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Galaeron, I answered all this in that previous thread, so I hope the answers there were sufficient.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What can I say, fascinating book from beginning to end. Was hard to put down until pages ended.

Was torturous to wait for Halaster to appear, although short, it more than made up the wait, considering how he 'contributed' to the ritual.

Only one question and I apologise in advance if this has been answered somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Who/what decided that Khelben must die and why? Was it something that had been in plans for a while already or was this just an almost last minute decision to sacrifice someone significant in the story?

Thank you kindly

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  11:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

What can I say, fascinating book from beginning to end. Was hard to put down until pages ended.

Was torturous to wait for Halaster to appear, although short, it more than made up the wait, considering how he 'contributed' to the ritual.

Only one question and I apologise in advance if this has been answered somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Who/what decided that Khelben must die and why? Was it something that had been in plans for a while already or was this just an almost last minute decision to sacrifice someone significant in the story?

Thank you kindly

Thanks for your kind words.

As for the decision on Khelben, it was something my editor and I batted around for quite a while. In the end, it was a mutual decision that the sacrifice gave the story more emotional weight, it didn't seem to be a cop-out (as many complain that the Chosen get "get-out-of-consequence-free" cards from Mystra), and to be quite honest, it made much more sense for Khelben as a character.

Yeah, it tore me up to write it and it's sad that he won't be around to see his twins, but seriously, wouldn't the resurrected City of Hope have been bought too cheaply if the only sacrifice needed was that of Ualair, a character only mentioned twice in old lore?

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Trizzt08
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  06:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Trizzt08's Homepage Send Trizzt08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the book it was the first time since Anakin Skywalker died that I was angry about a character that died, let me stop lying I almost cried when anakin died I was mildly upset Khelben died but it was great.
SPOILEER
I let friend borrow the book so I forget when it starts but in the new book Sacrafice of the Widow(1372) Q'arlnd is heading to Mieytiar(misspell) so for those of you who are interested in the new High Moors you should check out book two(not out yet) plus I wonder what is going to happen in the former dark elf empire

My god says you can't do that
Go to Top of Page

Galaeron Nihmedu
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  03:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Galaeron Nihmedu's Homepage Send Galaeron Nihmedu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am fascinated by these sharn. Where did they make their first appearance? Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  07:20:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruins of UnderMountain boxed set has the first appearance of the creature that I know of. There's also quite a bit of information about the Sharn in Ed's Anauroch supplement from the early 2ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:12:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruins of Undermountain boxed set was indeed the first appearance of the sharn in the Realmslore.

So saith Steven.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  05:11:37  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm rather upset at the death of Khelben. Why someone important like him and not someone else that doesn't have much spotlight in the Realms?

Actually, the death of Khelben represents the main problem with many of the Forgotten Realms novels. Why does every novel have to be yet another huge catastrophic event over and over? Why, also, does it have to completely shake the foundations of the design the Realms underwent?

What's next? Killing Elminster? An all out war among Pantheons to see who rules Toril? I mean, come on, too many huge events are happening at once and us FR gamers either don't have time or even want to catch up.

Stuff like the appearance of Shade is cool or the elves coming back to Faerun from Evermeet, for example.

But stuff like describing villains and NPCs in a 3E FR product and then killing them off a few months later is rather lame. The Ice Queen is killed, Sammaster is killed, the Sibyl is killed, Khelben is killed, Vhaeraun and Selvetarm are killed, Myth Drannor is no longer the cool spot for adventurers to dungeon crawl in and is being "civilized"...what gives!?

Leave the major catastrophes to the game players of the Realms, not novel characters.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  05:14:19  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, it tore me up to write it and it's sad that he won't be around to see his twins, but seriously, wouldn't the resurrected City of Hope have been bought too cheaply if the only sacrifice needed was that of Ualair, a character only mentioned twice in old lore?

Steven

Um, no.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  16:39:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I'm rather upset at the death of Khelben. Why someone important like him and not someone else that doesn't have much spotlight in the Realms?

Actually, the death of Khelben represents the main problem with many of the Forgotten Realms novels. Why does every novel have to be yet another huge catastrophic event over and over? Why, also, does it have to completely shake the foundations of the design the Realms underwent?

What's next? Killing Elminster? An all out war among Pantheons to see who rules Toril? I mean, come on, too many huge events are happening at once and us FR gamers either don't have time or even want to catch up.

Stuff like the appearance of Shade is cool or the elves coming back to Faerun from Evermeet, for example.

But stuff like describing villains and NPCs in a 3E FR product and then killing them off a few months later is rather lame. The Ice Queen is killed, Sammaster is killed, the Sibyl is killed, Khelben is killed, Vhaeraun and Selvetarm are killed, Myth Drannor is no longer the cool spot for adventurers to dungeon crawl in and is being "civilized"...what gives!?

Leave the major catastrophes to the game players of the Realms, not novel characters.

But the flipside is that by constant change -- both catastrophic and minor -- the setting stays vibrant.

For a lot of people, it would have been cheap to bring back an ancient city and right an ancient wrong without some serious sacrifice.

I'm not happy about the death of Khelben, either. He was always my favorite of the Chosen. But I can't think of a better way for him to die. With everything Khelben has done and gone thru, death is almost a reward.

Minor changes have, by definition, a minor impact. Major changes have a major impact. Even the major characters eventually have to move aside.

Oh, and Ed has been implying for quite some time that Elminster's time in the Realms is perhaps coming to an end.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  23:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For a lot of people, it would have been cheap to bring back an ancient city and right an ancient wrong without some serious sacrifice.

I'm not happy about the death of Khelben, either. He was always my favorite of the Chosen. But I can't think of a better way for him to die. With everything Khelben has done and gone thru, death is almost a reward.

I agree with this. But I also agree that these major events don't feel like they're spaced out enough. It's a highly personal thing--I disliked the whole "elves return to Myth Drannor" thing...I simply did not like how it was done, period. But the City of Hope reappearing? I liked it, and it's such a highly kept secret that most people don't even know about it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 May 2007 23:39:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  02:48:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

But I also agree that these major events don't feel like they're spaced out enough.

Oh, I can heartily agree with this part. It's almost like when I was reading superhero comic books: "Oh, what's the threat to all of humanity this week?"

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  08:50:02  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and Ed has been implying for quite some time that Elminster's time in the Realms is perhaps coming to an end.

Is there any chance that you can be more specific - maybe this was discussed in some topic already? I wanted to bring my rollplaying group in contact with Elminster in the near future - would be a shame if he would be already gone

Well a least I would be interested to learn how this will end! There aren't any lost eleven cities left - äh

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  16:15:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

quote:

Is there any chance that you can be more specific - maybe this was discussed in some topic already? I wanted to bring my rollplaying group in contact with Elminster in the near future - would be a shame if he would be already gone

Really, it's just something Ed has hinted at. We don't even know if the plans to get El out of the picture are in the works, or if it will be death, retirement, or something else altogether.

quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Well a least I would be interested to learn how this will end! There aren't any lost eleven cities left - äh

Well, there are still a couple of mythal cities that either aren't always around and/or need to be reclaimed...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  00:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really, it's just something Ed has hinted at. We don't even know if the plans to get El out of the picture are in the works, or if it will be death, retirement, or something else altogether.

Right--personally, I've always taken the "Elminster's time is coming to an end" hints as a way of reminding us that Elminster is not immortal, and just because he's lived for over a thousands years and is a power Chosen of Mystra doesn't mean he will always be around to protect the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 May 2007 00:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  08:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be quite happy if Elminster does fade/go away. It makes the "common" heroics of the "average" person in Fearûn more heroic (City of Splendors being a good example) in a sense if there's one less (queue audience oohs and ahs; booming narrator voice) Chosen of Mystra to bail them out every time things get a little rough. I liked Khelben a lot, but I'm glad he's gone. Now if only we can rid Toril of the rest of the Chosen...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  10:42:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

I would be quite happy if Elminster does fade/go away. It makes the "common" heroics of the "average" person in Fearûn more heroic (City of Splendors being a good example) in a sense if there's one less (queue audience oohs and ahs; booming narrator voice) Chosen of Mystra to bail them out every time things get a little rough. I liked Khelben a lot, but I'm glad he's gone. Now if only we can rid Toril of the rest of the Chosen...

I agree lets reduce the number of Chosen down to the original amount again . Seven sisters and a couple of arch-mages is enough for Faerun. Then again, others would then cry about unbalance and unfair Mystra again. Guess one cant make everyone happy.

I don't see there being a chance of Elminster dying in the nearest future, but things being as they are this will probably be done sooner or later. He has been in the Realms for some years after all, so it would be best to remove him before he goes stale. Yes I am being sarcastic. And yes I am grumpy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000