Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff: Chapters 28 - 40
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  23:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff(Book 1 of The Wizards series), by Steven Schend. Please discuss chapters 28 - 40 herein.

Steven Schend will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, five and a half hours after I bought the book, I'm done. I've left dinner off for far too long, but I just wanted to say that this is how a RSE should be handled. Excellently done.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  05:10:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you speed read or something? Wow.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  05:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why I try to avoid buying a lot of books, because once one grabs me, I don't really put it down. It's also why I run out of new Realms books to read so quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  01:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just finished the book and the only word that comes to mind is Wow! One of THE best FR novels I have read. The ending was both shocking and satisfying. I definately see the potential for some more novels coming out of this. Hint, hint Mr. Schend. On a small sidenote, I was pleased with the significance of calling the tressym "Nameless", from the beginning I knew there must be some connection between Khelben and Tsarra's familiar.

Well done Mr. Schend. I look foward to future novels, related to this one or not.

"So let it be written.....that I might read it."
Lore Seeker

Edited by - Lore Seeker on 17 Jul 2006 13:25:42
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:00:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still a bit stunned and in the process of digesting this, but I have to say one thing . . . I laughed out loud, in all honesty, when Halaster made his cameo. That was perfect!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:17:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster's appearance made the cut - excellent.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:20:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah it did. I loved the Undermountain scene as well when they were sending him the message. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'm still a bit stunned and in the process of digesting this, but I have to say one thing . . . I laughed out loud, in all honesty, when Halaster made his cameo. That was perfect!

There was quite a bit of good humor in the book. It was all well placed, too. And yes, Halaster's cameo was funny and it was a very fitting end for Priamon.

Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  02:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I want to know is, now that Khelben's dead, are his agreements with Fzoul and Sappiraktar void? Or are they with "the Blackstaff" and therefore grandfathered over to Tsara? And what do the affected parties feel about all this?

Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  13:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question. Did I overlook something or do we never really learn the fate of the Dreamer (I forget her first name)? I know that Tsarra having the spririts of Khelben and the Dreamer inside her fulfilled the prophecy. We know that Khelben "dies" but does it say what happened to the Dreamer? Is her spirit restored? Is she sacrificed for the use of her visions for the high magic ritual? Is her spirit still with Tsarra inside the belt?

Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  16:54:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lore Seeker

I have a question. Did I overlook something or do we never really learn the fate of the Dreamer (I forget her first name)? I know that Tsarra having the spririts of Khelben and the Dreamer inside her fulfilled the prophecy. We know that Khelben "dies" but does it say what happened to the Dreamer? Is her spirit restored? Is she sacrificed for the use of her visions for the high magic ritual? Is her spirit still with Tsarra inside the belt?

You know,

You're right.... I can't recall what happened to her.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't say.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  20:40:35  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plot hook, anyone?

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  22:25:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh Elminster teleporting onto Nameless's tail. Now that's comedy. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  00:08:00  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I miss something here? What was the point of the elves retaking Cormanthyr (and re-establishing it) if Blackstaff was just going to sacrifice himself to raise another lost city?

I wouldn't call this a Realms shaking event. Waterdeep shaking event more like it. Khelben is gone and Laeral is basically in exile pretty much shifts the balance of power in Waterdeep I'd say.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:19:30  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still ask what the point of the Last Mythal trilogy was, considering it did something that another story (Evermeet) had started years earlier.

Blackstaff is a story about Elves redeeming their ancestors' actions - or at least trying to. The retaking of Cormanthyr was a big war and a single pretentious Sun Elf balking against authority and tradition.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  02:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I still ask what the point of the Last Mythal trilogy was, considering it did something that another story (Evermeet) had started years earlier.

Blackstaff is a story about Elves redeeming their ancestors' actions - or at least trying to. The retaking of Cormanthyr was a big war and a single pretentious Sun Elf balking against authority and tradition.

You can say that again.

Actually, I love what's happening in Blackstaff--if the newly risen city on the High Moor is like a "new Myth Drannor" in spirit, then who needs the pomp and circumstance from the Last Mythal trilogy?

This novel feels a lot more "Realms-ish" to me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Jul 2006 02:31:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  02:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

What I want to know is, now that Khelben's dead, are his agreements with Fzoul and Sappiraktar void?

Good question...but I think Khelben was most likely smart enough to account for the possiblity of death (of either party) in any such contract he would have made.

Then again, even smart people overlook things.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  03:10:38  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul seems occupied in the Moonsea to worry about the death of Khelben if you ask me.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  03:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Fzoul seems occupied in the Moonsea to worry about the death of Khelben if you ask me.

He didn't get into the position of power he has now by being oblivious and indecisive. He will learn of Khelben's death all too soon, and likely act on it if possible (and if it suits his purposes).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Jul 2006 03:15:12
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:21:05  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend, I just wanted to give you a very heartfelt thank you for a superb book and I truly hope that you get another opportunity to put further ink to parchment in the realm of FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:39:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, very mundane question to start, but I have to work into such a momentous grouping of chapters as the last few turned out to be. Was the staff that was "driving" the tower essentially acting as a Spelljamming helm? Did it drain Gamalon's spells for the day once he flew the tower? (and why would Raegar, raised in the Realms, assume that there is no air outside of Toril's atmosphere . . . not a bit deal, that one, just wondering)

I liked how Elminster came across in this one. His appearance was brief but effective. The exchange with the elves reminded me of something Steven was talking about last year or so, about Khelben being more the "Batman" and Elminster being more the "Superman." I think this was kind of reinforced with the fact that Khelben expected everyone to realize how important what they were doing was and to quick squabbling and get down to business, but Elminster did the "diplomatic thing" to smooth things over, with Khelben's ending retort being that they should have done their part without having to be convinced. I loved it. It encapsulated the difference between Khelben and Elminster and how they operate.

I loved the Dead Man's Walk, and I loved the idea that so much of this book focused on other magical traditions besides the Netherese and the like. It was very good to see a lot more "southern" influence from the Lands of Intrigue involved.

Even though I saw the spoilers before I finished the book, the ending was still like a punch to the gut. I have loved Khelben since I first read about him, when I first fell in love with Waterdeep. The one thing that I was sad about was that, it has seemed in the past that Khelben and Peirgeron were pretty good friends, and yet we didn't get to see Peirgeron mourn the loss of his friend. I know given the situation, it wasn't a logical thing to see, but it is sad.

A question though . . . is there any chance of Khelben the Younger returning to Waterdeep? I was wondering if this might happen, if only so that Khelben's enemies might think him still alive, and focus their attention on him rather than the new, true Blackstaff, Tsarra. Just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:39:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Lore Seeker

You know,

You're right.... I can't recall what happened to her.

I got the impression that she blended into the sharn... Of course, I'm still reading it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:47:45  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, just thought of something else . . . if the elves of Miyeritaar that would have become drow are still under the judgement of Corellon if they were to abandon their sharn forms, this gets me to thinking . . .

Corellon and several other gods were on board as part of the plan to reawaken Rymanthiin, then perhaps there is a large, long term plan in place with regards to the drow and their redemption that might be bigger and longer term than we have seen at this point.

Just a random thought spawned from the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  14:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Blackstaff last night. WOW!!!!! I loved that book so much that I went back and started pulling lore from it. Fist of all I listed all the interesting mages mentioned, now I am going to go through all of the book to put together a model of Blackstaff tower. Hopefully I have enough info.

I am still stunned though. I feel like this book inspires creativity, a new zest for gaming in the Realms, and nothing but respect to Steve Schend for writing a unique one of a kind story. That's awesome for a first book. I am very excited to see how the Realms reacts to the new city's arrival. My guess is that some people are going to search for it to try and abuse it's gathering of magical lore that no doubt will start to build with so many notable wizards having a residence in the city.

I loved the side story about Rhymallos and Ualair. I am such a Myth Drannor nut. The appearance of the Seven wizards of Myth Drannor was just intense. I think I might have to read up and figure out how the wizards got to Malavar's gap. In the Fall of Myth Drannor I don't think it was mentioned as to what Mentor Wintercloak and company did in preperation for the fall. Were the seven part of Windsong tower? I really need to reread that book. Another Schend gem. Also I was a little confused as to where Khelben went to get Ualair and Rhymallos. Could some one clarify that for me?

All in all I loved this book. It goes in my do not allow to be borrowed books. Hey, it was that good! A fitting end to a legend worthy of his legendary status. I bow in gratitude Master scribe Schend.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  14:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage
Also I was a little confused as to where Khelben went to get Ualair and Rhymallos. Could some one clarify that for me?

Weren't they in a secret passage in one of Khelben's tombs? They got to them by using Dead Man's Walk. Or so I thought. Honestly, so much took place during the last chapters that I am definately going to have to read this book again. But that is a good thing to me. I won't reread it because I feel lost, I will reread it because there is sooo much lore in it that it definately deserves a little research, as you mentioned above.

Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was plesently suprised by the entirety of this novel. I was completely shocked at the end, I did not forsee the death of Khelben until the novel came right out and said that he would have to give his life. I really enjoyed seeing some of Khelben's memories such as when he told Larel he loved her for the first time and such. I liked the meeting of all the powerful realms figures meeting for a common cause. I also liked Elminster's brief apparence as well as Halaster's. A fitting end for the Frostrune indeed! This is one of the better realms novels I have read, especially due to the page restraints on a single novel as opposed to a trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:08:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

A fitting end for the Frostrune indeed!

Don't call him that! (Sorry, I loved how Khelben kept saying that when Tsarra would call him the Frostrune)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really loved seeing the gathering of all the notable wizards. That was awesome. I don't think it happens enough. Probably for good reasons too.

As to where Khelben met up with Ualair and Ryhmallos I thought I saw the word Imaskar or something. I was reading quickly though.

Anybody know anything more on Tulrun of the Tent (I checked Pages from the Mages and found a spell he made)? My curiosity was peaked by his reference.

Also, I appalud the use of the Twisted Rune. I always wanted to learn more about those guys. Even though they (the organization) didn't play the biggest role compared to their loose cannon Priamon Rakesk.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Edited by - Wandering_mage on 19 Jul 2006 14:11:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  17:24:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Anybody know anything more on Tulrun of the Tent (I checked Pages from the Mages and found a spell he made)? My curiosity was peaked by his reference.

I want to say he was mentioned in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, but I've not flipped thru that one in years (and it's at home).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000