Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Scions of Arrabar?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  22:31:46  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to know a summary with no spoilers of The Scions of Arrabar series longer then the one they give you at wizards.com to decide wether or not I should buy them or not. A summary with no spoilers in it should do the trick (opinions about the book are fine). Tempus thanks you!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  22:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed the first one. Bought the second. Looking forward to read it.
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  00:29:16  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Super paladin-sorceror mercenary gets embroiled in an evil plot that threatens all of Chondath.. Evil folk delve into the dark secrets of the Rotting War, political dealings and betrayals abound at the highest echelons of government, and only through the help of a band of eco-terrorists and some exploration of ancient Jhaamdathan ruins (whee! LEoF tie-in) is all set to rights once again.. An intrepidly curious sister character is there for the female audience.. Oh and also a bit of "Cpt Kirk / shag a new blue alien chick each episode" thrown in for the cheap seats.. And that's about it.. If you're looking for lore, there's a tiny bit of it here and there.. Same goes for story and plot.. Basically it reeks of editor butchery.. Kinda hard to give you a summary otherwise without spoilers..
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  04:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What EMU said...

So much happens in that trilogy that it's tough to give a good summary without spoilers...or even a good summary at all. I found these books a bit "pulpy" (if I may say so), but in a good way--they are fast paced and a lot of interesting stuff happens. If you love political intrigue, by all means pick up these books--there is plenty of that to be found.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Akukakk
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Akukakk's Homepage Send Akukakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes its good
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't recommend the book, sorry. Here's a review of it I posted elsewhere some time ago:

quote:
My favorite part of the book is the prologue: no boring, obligatory peaceful trek through info-dump after info-dump that many fantasy authors are so fond of. Not even the omniscient third-person exposition along the line of "Arrabar, city of commerce. Arrabar, where politics thrive side-by-side with the blessed bounty of Waukeen." No, it starts with Xaphira Matrell, a mercenary officer, hiding in an alley with a crossbow bolt embedded in her thigh. Then we get a flashback to earlier that evening, where the sense of emergency and tension is kept by Xaphira's nephew (Vambran) informing her that he may have accidentally killed someone. She then makes a sacrifice: take the blame for herself, to protect her nephew and the noble house she belongs to. The prologue ends with Xaphira fighting some guards and escaping the city as a stowaway on a ship.

Unfortunately, it all goes downhill from there.

First, we have the protagonist. Vambran Matrell, haunted by the guilt of causing his aunt's exile, stumbles upon a suspicious case of murder. On he proceeds to investigate; the reasoning of "Justice must be served!" is incessantly brought up. He is righteous in his justification; he is a good brother to his little sister; he is both able and dutiful as a mercenary commander. Despite the claim that he likes both "wenching and fighting", we never see any of the former; in Crescent, Vambran is as squeaky-clean as a paladin. But fine, he makes some mistakes and doesn't emerge from every fight unscathed. I don't dislike him, but he invokes neither interest nor sympathy. He's just there, a bland cipher that blunders from scene to scene and drags -- clumsily, I might add -- the story forward.

Then we have Emriana Matrell. Oh, how she irritates and grates. She is the ultimate "rich girl, wannabe thief; doesn't like wearing dresses and comes with a spunky attitude" cliche embodied. She even proves to be the ineffective tag-along that ends up being menaced/captured and needing a rescue from her older relatives, anyway. Sure, there's a single occasion where she follows her brother and brings help, but that's it. And for some reason, at the end, her grandmother Hetta names her one of the most sensible, most trustworthy members of the family. Despite her having displayed zero trace of intelligence or wit and despite her getting repeatedly into trouble. Yup, that's a potential head of the house, all right. Her constant wail of "I'm all grown-up now! I'm not five-years-old anymore" doesn't help. But then, I rarely find teenage characters endearing.

Speaking of trouble reminds me how incompetent and how flimsy the villains in this novel are. The book promises a great deal of intrigue: it hints at the political structure of Arrabar; the plot deals with multiple parties -- a high-ranking Waukeenar priest, and three noble Houses -- plotting to hire an army to invade Chondath. It tantalized me and made me go, "Ooooh, intrigue. Oooh, multi-layered plot. Squee!"

Unfortunately, the delivery didn't much live up to this.

The scenes dealing with the villains plotting to stop Vambran from poking his nose into where he's not wanted? I have difficulties naming flimsier scenes of similar nature. They're all so very, very predictable. Ambush Vambran. Stifle Vambran politically. Find Vambran female company to distract him (this never goes through; may possibly come up in the second book). I winced repeatedly when Grozier Talricci, one of the major antagonists, keeps telling his house wizard to "come up with something clever" and "don't bother me with the details; just do it." Yeah, that's the key to effective planning right there.

Denrick, another antagonist, is no better. He is Emriana's suitor, and at first glance he is a boorish, arrogant peacock who loves hearing the sound of his own voice. Oooh, thought I, is he going to turn out a clever, shrewd villain whom everyone underestimates? Not so. Emriana ends up in an arranged betrothal with him, and he promptly ties her up and tries to rape her toward the end of the book (where the antagonists take over the Matrell estate). Yes, really. He hits her maid. Yes, really. He tells Grozier's wizard to enchant Emriana so she will desire him utterly. Yay bad romance novel conventions.

Evestor, the older brother of Emriana and Vambran, doesn't fare very well, either. He ends up being the one behind it all, sort of. But still, nothing interesting. He just... sides with Denrick at the end. Heck, he even has one of those megalomaniac moments "Mine! The power is mine at laaaast! oneone eleventy-one!" Uhm, not long after that, he falls over a balcony and dies.

Throughout the various blunders Vambran makes, a mysterious red-clad stranger shows up repeatedly to save him. I'm sad to say that I very quickly guessed the identity of this person, and I was proven right. I think that's my biggest gripe with this book: the plotting is sod-all predictable, flat, and there's no surprise whatsoever. All this, after all the buildup of something subtle and intelligent; I end up going "That's it? Why the hell did they bother with all that seemingly elaborate scheming?"

Final rating: The book, overall, isn't bad. It's not good, either. I think it sits squarely on that threshold between "decent" and "mediocre."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
And for some reason, at the end, her grandmother Hetta names her one of the most sensible, most trustworthy members of the family. Despite her having displayed zero trace of intelligence or wit and despite her getting repeatedly into trouble. Yup, that's a potential head of the house, all right.

I really have to agree, here--it's so true.

quote:
Heck, he even has one of those megalomaniac moments "Mine! The power is mine at laaaast! oneone eleventy-one!" Uhm, not long after that, he falls over a balcony and dies.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Jul 2006 06:10:23
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  10:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I thought the trilogy was fantastic!

Don't go expecting some big battle hack-and-slash, as it's not at all and it much better for it. The Sapphire Crescent has a great feel to it and very well done. I loved the trilogy from start to finish and goes in my top 5 all time fav's

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  17:46:53  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also thought the trilogy was good. I have only read the first 2 novels and will get on the 3rd here shortly ( finishing up last mythal trilogy )

As has been the norm of late, not one of "my" favorite realms series, But I encourage everyone to read it and make their own conclusions.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  06:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the trilogy. It's not the equivilant of the great literature of mankind, but it's worth a read. I really enjoyed Sapphire Crescent and Ruby Guardian. I didn't like Emerald Scepter so much, but I thought the trilogy was a great read.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed them as well. Good reads.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000