Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 most useful forgotten realms sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:45:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

Thank you, Rin. :)

You're welcome. I think it's nice when people just speak their minds.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:07:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much liked Waterdeep, too. As far as regional sourcebooks go, it's one of my favorites, along with Silver Marches and Shining South. Of course, I really liked LEoF and Serpent Kingdoms and Races of Faerun, too. Sure, there was more crunch than I would have liked in some, but it's 3E - what'chya' gonna' do, no matter who the author is? ;)

And yes... Some of us like lore for playing the game just as much as mechanics, if not more!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 13 Jul 2006 01:08:25
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've yet to see a copy of Mysteries of the Moonsea, but am currently not inclined to purchase it. Lack of funds for one, and Final Gate and Blackstaff are both much higher up my list of priorities.
I feel City of Splendors and Silver Marches are the best regional sourcebooks in terms of format, but particularly the former.
My other personal favourites are Races of Faerūn and Lost Empires of Faerūn.
That said I'm generally easy to please and can find good in most things.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  01:42:35  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can find bad and good in most things, but when the bad heavily outweighs the good, it's usually best to try to decrease the proliferation of the bad then try to just keep the status quo of the good.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  06:15:47  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well so far it appears that LEoF seems to have the most votes for the most useful 3E sourcebook companion to the FRSC (through general consesus here).

"Yap,yap, little dog!" - Riven - page 326 Shadowbred, by Paul Kemp

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  06:19:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I can find bad and good in most things, but when the bad heavily outweighs the good, it's usually best to try to decrease the proliferation of the bad then try to just keep the status quo of the good.

Gothic Dan, I like your reply here. I agree, it is great to be able to find both good and bad in things, but even better to consentrate on the positives.

I have a co-worker who sits next to me at work.. and today I asked him what was wrong? he stated, "I am sitting here trying to make myself depressed".... he was having a good day

"Yap,yap, little dog!" - Riven - page 326 Shadowbred, by Paul Kemp

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  06:51:07  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let's say something is, in one's opinion, 10% good and 90% bad. If you praise the good as equally as you critique the bad, it rather makes one think that in all actuality you were 50-50% with a product you were certainly not on.

But maybe I'm too logical about things; most people aren't. I prefer it when people slap me in the face with what they perceive to be my faults. An example - thanks to Winterfox for ripping apart my attempt at a short story - no sarcasm at all. It was my first attempt at writing actual fiction in years, and I see I am quite rusty, and was headed in the wrong direction!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  15:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Well, let's say something is, in one's opinion, 10% good and 90% bad. If you praise the good as equally as you critique the bad, it rather makes one think that in all actuality you were 50-50% with a product you were certainly not on.

But maybe I'm too logical about things; most people aren't. I prefer it when people slap me in the face with what they perceive to be my faults. An example - thanks to Winterfox for ripping apart my attempt at a short story - no sarcasm at all. It was my first attempt at writing actual fiction in years, and I see I am quite rusty, and was headed in the wrong direction!

Indeed. Constructive criticism is good, because you can build from that. If you don't point out the less good, things will never improve. Just slating things has no point though.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
569 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  22:30:38  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a toss-up between RoF and Underdark, but I went with Underdark as it has helped me come up with great stuff for my current story. (I should call it a novel due to length, lol!) Currently thinking about using a glaming somewhere....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2011 :  08:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Underdark, since I game almost exclusively there. Player's Guide to Faerun would be second (the lists of regional feats to which I often refer).

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1755 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  19:37:06  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for me it's Power of Faerun (except Inferno is useless)

I'd vote for Lords of Darkness but there's Cloak and Dagger

the nonhuman parts of Races of Faerun are not useful
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2011 :  22:03:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I dunno about that... The genasi section gave me an idea when I really needed one, and I like the fey'ri section, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  01:04:38  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Granted, it does have errors, but I think coupling this section with past edition resources, like Demihumans of the Realms, makes RoF a considerable source of Realmslore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1755 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  09:48:53  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the way I play these races, elves are like in mythology, not everywhere, there's a sense of awe when you see them, dwarves as well. Gnomes, only one type are interesting, the inventors. Orcs are obvious, why waste pages on them, halflings are hobbits. The planetouched are solitary creatures and adapt to the culture they are raised in. Fey'ri are in Cloak and Dagger.

Tough the races from UE, Undardark and Champions of Ruin are far more useless.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
164 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  12:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Asharak's Homepage Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Granted, it does have errors, but I think coupling this section with past edition resources, like Demihumans of the Realms, makes RoF a considerable source of Realmslore.

Well, I love Races of Faerūn but it's not the first time I read it have errors.

Can you be more explicit?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  02:07:03  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I particularly enjoyed the section on half-elves and half-drow in that book, as well as the fey-ri and lycanthropes.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  02:55:28  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the Fey'ri section as well, since I thought they would make great enemies for a campaign. As for the most useful 3.5e book, it depends heavily on the campaign but currently I think Lost Empires of Faerun is helping me out the most with a campaign I'm running at the moment. Even when it isn't directly aiding a campaign it's an interesting book full of great lore in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
164 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  19:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Asharak's Homepage Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

quote:

quote:

Does anyone known this errors or where / which are better source of information about races?

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1755 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  21:35:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the nonhumans, but the human cultures were simplified and different than in Dragon Annual 4
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2011 :  01:17:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does anyone known this errors or where / which are better source of information about races?

Sorry, Asharak. I didn't see this earlier. I'll dig out my notes on the subject.

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
164 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  16:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Asharak's Homepage Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sorry, Asharak. I didn't see this earlier. I'll dig out my notes on the subject.

Lost in the Ethereal?

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1755 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2011 :  21:24:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another error was the wood elves who were formed from the mix of other elven subraces, that is not possible in 1e/2e lore cause elves inherit their subrace from just one parent.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  01:09:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another error was the wood elves who were formed from the mix of other elven subraces, that is not possible in 1e/2e lore cause elves inherit their subrace from just one parent.

It seems that the issue many have with the origins of the wood elves and wild elves in 3e is based on previous lore -- the fact that most of the 1e/2e FR sourcebooks make the connection between wild and wood elves and how they were essentially the same race. Elaine Cunningham's novels during 2e that feature wood/wild elven characters also portray this and she has made comments about it here at Candlekeep.

Then in 3e, we have Races of Faerūn telling us that in the aftermath of the savage Crown Wars, it was then that the green elves went in one of two racial directions -- leading to the split in 1e/2e Green/Wood/Wild Elves that we now see in 3e. Some stayed kind of wild and remained greens, or civilised a touch and became wood [copper] elves.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3068 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  19:23:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always loved the Forgetten Realms Adventures...great info on cities and deities

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000