Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 most useful forgotten realms sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  05:15:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
well met my fellow scribes and sages of the realms.

In looking at a number of newer scribes to this site and a lot of questions asked about material. I thought I would try my hand at a poll.

If you had to choose just one sourcebook to go along with the FRCS, which in your opinion, would be the most useful REALMS sourcebook, that you have encountered to date and why. (I will keep this to the current edition). I ran out of room to list all of the current sourcebooks, so if one is not on the list please include why you think it is the best.

I chose Races of Faerun as the one companion to the FRCS that I just could not do without.

Choices:

Races of Faerun
Shining south
Champions of Valor
Faiths and pantheons
Silver marches
Lords of darkness
Lost empires of Faerun
Serpent kingdoms
Magic of Faerun
Unapproachable east
Underdark
other; please explain

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - scererar on 20 Jun 2006 04:58:16

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  06:33:45  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Player's Guide to Faerun, updates many feats, spells, and PrCs.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  07:31:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to say Serpent kingdoms, as most of the others to a great degree covers the same areas as 1ed and 2ed products. I don't use 3ed rules so all rules are useless to me personally, so Serpent kingdoms is the only 3ed book that makes it to my top 20 FR books of all time.

Now, if I were to decide without taking into consideration the older material, I would say that Lost Empires of Faerun is the most useful.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  11:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LEoF. IMHO it's the best 3.X product they have put out. I wish every book had that much fluff.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  11:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Power of Faerūn, closely followed by LEoF

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  12:52:26  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have to say that I really like the area-books (SS, UE, Underdark, SM...) and will look forward to get my hands on the Mysteries of the Moonsea as well due to their in-depth exploration of the specific area. unfortunatelly htey are of little use to the once-every-other-month gamer because you have way too much information in just one book to work through all of same (due to lack of time!!!) so my advice would be: bye one, play throu it with your campaign and than bye another one to play in that specific area. THat way it is fun for the players too,because they get to know a differnet corenr of the world with new and intersting NPC'S villians and also feats, spells and prestige classes. combining all information and options in just one campaign is neigh impossible....

For me, I really like Magic ofFaerunandcound not go without, simply because it is nice as DM to use spells that the players have not read a million times before hand and that are thereby of a littel surprise to them.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  17:41:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to pick a single resource as the most useful, since everyone's interests and campaigns will dictate what they find the most useful. If a DM has set his entire campaign in Waterdeep, then CosW would of course be the most useful resource -- and so on.

Myself, for general utility, I'd say the most useful books would be the ones that could apply to the most campaigns. Magic of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Lords of Darkness, and Lost Empires of Faerūn would be the tomes I'd pick from this list. I don't include Faiths & Pantheons because it is a pale shadow of the much more useful trilogy of deity books from 2E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  17:54:59  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's close for me. RoF is great and i love the race info in there, and i also really dig the LEoF history which helps for campaigns as well as a great help for the novels when author's drop a reference to the past.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  21:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for the underdark. My foremost reason is that the underdark is such an unique environment to me as a real person, that it is hard for me to improvise details in such a setting. This makes a pre-made source vital for an adventure in the deep bowels of the Forgotten Realms. Other areas (surface) is easier for me to improvise, and thus makes the need for a sourcebook less pressing (but i wouldent be without most of them and the wise words of the realms authors).

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this was most useful book (as in used most often), not best book.

PGtF has my vote because it has the biggest selection of 3.5E spells for the realms. Magic of Faerun has alot of good stuff too, but a fair bit got revised in PGtF also.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  22:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I like Races of Faerun most of all.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:57:46  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one noticed the "champions of power". I edited to correct the proper name of champions of valor. Hope no one went to the book store for this very rare tome
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  08:46:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'm holding out for Champions of Law and Order: Special Rogue-Bashing Unit.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  09:47:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Judgin from the results above it looks like most of those that voted do not use the regional sourse books (SS, SM, UE)or at least do not consider them that much useful. Does that lead to the conclusion that most of the ongoing campaigns are Fearun-wide and not located exclusively in one special region?

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  09:51:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The majority of the lore printed in the regional sourcebooks (with the exceptions of LEoF and Serpent Kingdoms) are just rehashed/reprinted versions of the lore from previous editions.

I felt utterly bored when reading Underdark and Unapproachable East, except for the parts on the Great Dale, Eltab, and the Imaskari.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  11:00:59  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Judgin from the results above it looks like most of those that voted do not use the regional sourse books (SS, SM, UE)or at least do not consider them that much useful. Does that lead to the conclusion that most of the ongoing campaigns are Fearun-wide and not located exclusively in one special region?

Ergdusch

All the books are Useful.
Just if I had to pick only 4 books to have with me, they would be: FRCS, PGtF, Magic of Faerun, Monsters of Faerun.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  11:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

The majority of the lore printed in the regional sourcebooks (with the exceptions of LEoF and Serpent Kingdoms) are just rehashed/reprinted versions of the lore from previous editions.

I felt utterly bored when reading Underdark and Unapproachable East, except for the parts on the Great Dale, Eltab, and the Imaskari.

Interesting. I converted to the realms in 3rd edition so all of the 2E sourcebooks I have are used books from ebay so excuse my ignorance...

Was the Silver Marches "just rehashed/reprinted versions of lore from previous editions"? I only ask because I thought this particular sourcebook was extremely well done and wonder if it would be on your list of books you were "utterly bored" with or if this was another exception.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  11:08:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

No one noticed the "champions of power". I edited to correct the proper name of champions of valor. Hope no one went to the book store for this very rare tome

I noticed it, I just didn't comment on it.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  15:23:01  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Ergdusch

They all have their uses. I own all of them, except MoM. trying to catch up on novels. I agree with you though, if you are not going to use a specific region, you may want to skip that particular tome. Many here however want to have as much realmslore as they can get their hands on, and will probably pick up most new works as they come out.

Additionally, yes, over the past 20 years of traversing the realms, I have ran campaigns scattered over most parts of Faerun, and beyond.

Edited by - scererar on 20 Jun 2006 15:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  15:43:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
Was the Silver Marches "just rehashed/reprinted versions of lore from previous editions"? I only ask because I thought this particular sourcebook was extremely well done and wonder if it would be on your list of books you were "utterly bored" with or if this was another exception.

I am not GothicDan, so forgive me for butting in on the question. The Silver Marches is a very good book, but between Volos guide to the North, Savage frontier and The North most of the pure lore in this book had been covered. The politics of the new state og Luruar/Silver Marches are new for the book and there are many interesting details, but there are several 3ed realms products that offer new information and which I therefore give a higher priority.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  16:36:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Mostly rehash, yes. :) Actually most, but not all, of the current sourcebooks are rehash from mid to late 2e sourcebooks. The other poster listed most of the sourcebooks that SM is rehashed from but I'd add Cloak & Dagger as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Jun 2006 16:36:54
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  16:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of fine books on the list, but I always go for utility at the gaming table, and vote fo r Lords of Darkness.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  20:54:46  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my answer was quite well answered by others. :) Thanks all! (No sarcasm intended.)

So, you see, that is why I voted for RoF. My second choice would have been LEoF.

The books I disliked the most were Underdark, PGtF, F&P, and Unapproachable East.

... Though MotM will probably take the spot as the one I hate the most.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 20 Jun 2006 20:55:51
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  22:59:46  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I think my answer was quite well answered by others. :) Thanks all! (No sarcasm intended.)

So, you see, that is why I voted for RoF. My second choice would have been LEoF.

The books I disliked the most were Underdark, PGtF, F&P, and Unapproachable East.

... Though MotM will probably take the spot as the one I hate the most.

Have to agree MotM was a disappointment, they should just have packaged it as a huge Adventure Arc.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  05:45:30  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Power of Faerun. This is clearly the most useful sourcebook out of all of them. It tells you how politics work, how to get your PC into it, and the different types of leaders that you can have or become. Overall, this is probably not just the single best REALMS sourcebook in years, this is probably the best D+D sourcebook in years. And I'll stand by that until they come out with a better one.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  12:43:49  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other: Player's Guide to Faerun
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  15:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun put new meaning to the race we ourselves like to call ourselves Human, making each human sub-race more realms flavorful.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  17:20:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Races of Faerun put new meaning to the race we ourselves like to call ourselves Human, making each human sub-race more realms flavorful.

That was one of the things I loved about that book. Finally we were able to have Fighter Bob Smith from Shadowdale be different from Fighter Bahb Al'Smith from Calimport... And I also enjoyed the greater focus on the planetouched, particular the fey'ri and the various genasi.

Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  20:35:07  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah'b ahl Smith! BWAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAA.

That's GREAT.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  01:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

I voted for Power of Faerun. This is clearly the most useful sourcebook out of all of them. It tells you how politics work, how to get your PC into it, and the different types of leaders that you can have or become. Overall, this is probably not just the single best REALMS sourcebook in years, this is probably the best D+D sourcebook in years. And I'll stand by that until they come out with a better one.

I only wish I saw in that book what you did.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  03:46:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

That was one of the things I loved about that book. Finally we were able to have Fighter Bob Smith from Shadowdale be different from Fighter Bahb Al'Smith from Calimport... And I also enjoyed the greater focus on the planetouched, particular the fey'ri and the various genasi.

exactly why I chose RoF as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000