Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Giant/great eagles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  17:58:39  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

Are there any major episodes/roles in which the great eagles have been involved on one side or another?

ie fighting evil dragons, taking a side in a war.

I remember their role in aiding Zoar in evermeet, but beyond that? Either historic or in current realms time.

A bit obscure i know but best to ask than not!

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  23:55:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking Lord of the Rings here my friend I have seen griffon riders and such, but no thoughts on Giant eagles taking any sides to any conflict, let alone giant eagles really within the realms at all. I can see it working though.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are plenty in Evermeet: Island of Elves. They're one of the two aerial mounts used by the elves (the other being dragons). Zaor rides one into battle, as does Maura centuries later, and a whole flock turns the tide in a Rage of Dragons.

Myth Drannor had a sizable aerial cavalry, of which, IIRC, eagles and their riders made the largest number. They're generally picked by young moon elves, who are almost human in their antics.

Evermeet's eagle riders make an appearance in Dream Spheres (a bunch of bored young elves become mercenaries).

There's also mention of eagles and their riders in Champions of Valor (a book I've barely read). One giant eagle had about 6 levels of ranger, which I think is exceedingly odd, but oh well.

Realmsian giant eagles are intelligent and can speak at least elven. I get the feeling they've been used as mounts for thousands of years.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:51:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... two references that come straight to mind...

Giant eagles were attacking Secomber quarry workers in the Red Cliffs... in defense of their homes.

Giant eagles and pteradons battle for control of the high aeries along the Wild Coast.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  02:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those come instantly to mind?? Well, ok, Secomber's a fairly well-traveled place, but I don't hink I even know where the Wild Coast is.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  02:02:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage's mind is a many splendored thing . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  02:30:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Those come instantly to mind?? Well, ok, Secomber's a fairly well-traveled place, but I don't hink I even know where the Wild Coast is.

Hehe...

The Red Cliffs bit I remembered because I just recently re-read the Elminster's Ecologies Appendix sets.

As for the Wild Coast... that's the southern shoreline around the Jungles of Chult region. I remember that specifically because I've always been a big fan of the various "Coasts" in the Realms -- like the Sword Coast, the Dragon Coast, and the Wild Coast... for example. And while not technically a coast... the southern shoreline of the Lake of Steam falls into this category as well.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:28:47  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Champions of Valor have a Giant Eagle NPC?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:42:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Doesn't Champions of Valor have a Giant Eagle NPC?

Grin,

Yes, scroll up. :) It was mentioned earlier in the thread......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  20:35:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness says the Zhent Sky Mages can use giant eagles and giant owls. So there's another source for the use of them. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  22:14:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giant owls? That one's new for me. They probably compete with darkenbeasts for a night-riding sky-mage's mount.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  22:33:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Giant owls? That one's new for me. They probably compete with darkenbeasts for a night-riding sky-mage's mount.

:) I used giant owls in my upcoming hooks article, btw. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:54:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Giant owls? That one's new for me.
IIRC, there is also a giant owl rider mentioned in The Accursed Tower adventure... though he's not specifically named.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  04:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I don't think I have that adventure.

Though, it occurs to me that if the Zhentarim have both giant eagle and owl riders, it follows that some of the sky mages only fly at night, and others only during the day, depending on their mounts. Just a bit more detail to throw at my players, and see if they pick up on it.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  05:46:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting, I don't think I have that adventure.

Though, it occurs to me that if the Zhentarim have both giant eagle and owl riders, it follows that some of the sky mages only fly at night, and others only during the day, depending on their mounts. Just a bit more detail to throw at my players, and see if they pick up on it.

They got giant/dire bats and nightmares and other beasties to, that could be good night mounts. :)

Go to Top of Page

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  13:19:14  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents? Aren't they good aligned?

Were they ensalved or just the schoolyard bullies of the eagle world joiing the baddies
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000