Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Baldur's Gate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:18:53  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone want to share their experiences in this city?

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:53:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to, but much of my memory of Baldur's Gate has been burned away by years of Mountain Dew abuse. Actually, in all seriousness, that was one of the major port cities that the characters in my "Seafaring" campaign used to dock in often. It was kind of the safe haven port. Luskan and Calimport were much more dangerous in their own unique ways, and Waterdeep was where they went for advice and training and the like, but Baldur's Gate was the R&R city, where they might get into brawls (that they didn't want to get into in Waterdeep, because it might harm their reputations), and spend money on "non-essentials."

I seem to remember having a good time with them exploring the Temple of Gond there.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  12:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might consider using the massive presence of a certain mercenary order... Forgive me for not giving you the name, but i cant remember the name. I will return with it later.

I have myself used the city and its mercenaries for great adventures. My party is to be hired for an assassination job (we are to play a session tomorrow). They are hired to kill the captain of the training-facilities. How they do it is up to themselves, but with his allies counting both able warriors and a war-mage (my own creation) they will face considerable resistacne no matter f they choose a silent kill or a battering ram tactic.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  13:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Flaming Fist is the mercenary band Faramicos was thinking of I believe.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  14:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Precisely... Not home and i couldent remember the name. I have the Flaming Fist as a considrable part of the adventure. The group tried to start their own mercenary group, but got no jobs due to the presence of the Flaming Fist. They are now on their way to the mentioned assassination job, and i am looking forward to see how they want to solve the puzzleof getting to the captain without getting his men angered right away...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  16:04:09  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just finished up a game that took place mainly in the Elfsong tavern and the Undercellars. Much thanks to Ed's wonderful Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast for bringing the city to life.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  18:34:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has talked about this city and the Flaming Fists on and off since 2004. Dig through the ToC/Indexes and then his replies that are in my sig. :)

However, there isn't much he can say since that city is still NDA due to computer games.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  18:36:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for my influences with this city, I've had the Flaming Fists fund smaller merc companies. One of them is not to far from the city and it patrols some of the Western Heartlands in and around Amn/Tethyr.

There might be more that I've thought of but I can't share it because of a certain email game. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  19:34:12  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed Ed's '04 and '05 info on BG. Thanks.

I find the Undercellars a pretty neat idea. The way Ed described it makes me picture it as an underground Mardi Gras.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000