Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Worshipping Correllon AND Lathander
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  11:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sun Elf. Sun elves are arguably more likely to veer towards Law over Chaos. Also an Elf Paladin is something of a rebel (rejecting chaos), and Sun Elves seem more likely to get frustrated with the ways of their kind (the xenophobic tendencies, the arrogance etc).

To me, a major theme of The Last Mythal series seems to be Sun Elves rejecting their traditional attitudes, especially towards humans and Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  23:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

Just to clarify one point, he will pay homage to Latahnder, but not worship him on the level of a patron deity. He will recieve no spells from him, not take a lebel of Morninglord etc. He is a Paladin of Corellon (some would argue this is not allowed but that's another argument :))

Hey, maybe he could be a Heretic worshipping a LG aspect of Corellon?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  23:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I still disagree.

I'd allow it if it made sense to do so since FR deities are not that petty except for a few that are, and the deities allow divine casters to worship outside of thier pantheons and have more then one deity. Also some of those deities even jointly grant spells to thier divine casters, as we said earlier. Also remember that FR isn't monothestic, it's polythestic and on any given day a divine caster can send prayers to up to ten or more deities, depending on the situation. (And yes, I probably butchered those spellings. :))

And so it's not out of the oridinary to find a divine caster of Corellon also praying to Tymora and Erevan for luck, Sehanine and Selune for moon influence, Mystra just because she's also a goddess of magic, Umberlee if you are about to sail or Valkur for the same reason, Lathander for dawn, etc.

Now mechanically, I suppose it would be different but I always run my games as the rules are guidelines and they rules don't rule me, I rule the rules. :)

Aye, I agree completely with your points here. I referred to those cases when a player wants to have more than one patron deity only for the sake of maximizing his character (i.e. by taking prestige classes of two deities).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  16:04:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As loath as I am to say "lets make a new feat for that".... this could be handled in the form of a feat. I would almost say use the Heretic of the Faith feat, but it doesn't really allow for the mechanics we're discussing. However, if someone wanted to be able to have two deities as their patrons and be able to choose amongst either for things such as weapon of the deity, domains, initiate feats, religious artifacts that they could use, prestige classes they could enter, etc....
There are a couple examples. Larajin has already been mentioned, but also there was a drow worshipper of Lolth & Vhaeraun in the Daughter of the drow series. This drow one even brings into the picture that the two deities don't even have to like one another and can even be enemies. In fact, they may not even be aware of their follower's "betrayal", though this would be hard to hide and thus DM's would be fully in their right to have the two deities squabbling and pulling their favor (and abilities) away from the cleric if they didn't keep both pleased. Using this ruling would make players more likely to choose a deity with similar goals. A follower of Kelemvor and Lathander who focuses on stamping out undeath for instance. A follower of Lathander and Chauntea who works to bring life to the world for instance. A follower of Mystra and Deneir who seeks to uncover lost mystical knowledge.
Note also, this feat might even be useful for players who are not clerics. For instance, the arcane disciple feat allows arcane casters to cast spells from domains. So, if you were a warmage who wanted to expand your spell line, you could take this "as yet uncreated feat" to have both Mystra and Lurue as your deities. You could then say that your character wants to protect magic and the magical beasts of this world. Said warmage could then choose both the spell domain and the healing domain to add to his spell lists. Granted, this would use 3 feats, but it sounds like a very interesting character to me who probably isn't unbalanced. Similarly, a war mage who chooses Tempus (god of war) and Talos (god of wild and destructive magic), or Tempus (god of war) and Red Knight (goddess of Tactics) might find 2 domains useful, or might want to go into some prestige classes for both, etc....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  17:52:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still am in favor of a PRC similar to the triadic knight in PoF. I think it would be more difficult to bridge pantheons, but it is a great way to have a character be able to be devoted to more than one god/ godess at the same time and receive some benefits from it as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000