Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cyric and Rangers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  22:44:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hmmm.....

Can someone explain to me how Cyric has rangers as clergy, according to Lords of Darkness... He's really not a ranger deity.... And he's not on the list in F&P....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 27 May 2006 01:44:58

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  03:19:14  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was not a wizard or a sorcerer, but it talks about those also on page 7 of lords of darkness. My thinking is that according to the LoD, the church recruits, converts and brainwashes anyone possible, who would follow the cause. In my interpretation of the tome, it seems to describe more of allies and the personalities of those allies, rather than a "ranger" of cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  03:27:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

He was not a wizard or a sorcerer, but it talks about those also on page 7 of lords of darkness. My thinking is that according to the LoD, the church recruits, converts and brainwashes anyone possible, who would follow the cause. In my interpretation of the tome, it seems to describe more of allies and the personalities of those allies, rather than a "ranger" of cyric.

HMMM,

I suppose that's possible but it specifically says on page 7 in the bottom bar "Ranger of Cyric.... As does page 11 where it lists ranger of Cyric starting items.

It doesn't matter that he wasn't a wizard or sorcerer since arcane spells don't come from a deity, while divine spells do. So my question stands, how does he have rangers? Who gives them thier spells since he's not listed anywhere, except in LoD, as having ranger followers and he's not a "nature deitiy", etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 27 May 2006 03:28:46
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  03:49:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good question, my friend Kuje. I can see how the church of Cyric could use rangers and such, just by reading through the entries in LoD. However, you are right, I do not see how a ranger would/ could receive any divine spells. I do not see Cyric allowing his followers to worship anyone else. So as long as a ranger was not of suffiecient levels to be able to receive divine "nature" spells, their would be not be an issue, so we have until 6th level
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  04:10:33  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I wonder if Rangers of Cyric would be more 'evil, strife' influenced - and not necessarilly be as concerned with nature. Or, perhaps - you could even imagine them as 'Anti-Rangers'. Just a thought or two.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  04:14:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

good question, my friend Kuje. I can see how the church of Cyric could use rangers and such, just by reading through the entries in LoD. However, you are right, I do not see how a ranger would/ could receive any divine spells. I do not see Cyric allowing his followers to worship anyone else. So as long as a ranger was not of suffiecient levels to be able to receive divine "nature" spells, their would be not be an issue, so we have until 6th level

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  04:15:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I wonder if Rangers of Cyric would be more 'evil, strife' influenced - and not necessarilly be as concerned with nature. Or, perhaps - you could even imagine them as 'Anti-Rangers'. Just a thought or two.

Dhomal

See, now the anti-ranger bit I can buy but as normal PHB rangers, it doesn't make much sense..... especially since I checked old lore about him and Faiths & Pantheons, etc, and it doesn't have anything on him being a ranger deity.

Very odd.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  05:53:48  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hmmm.....

Can someone explain to me how Cyric has rangers as clergy, according to Lords of Darkness... He's really not a ranger deity.... And he's not on the list in F&P....

Hmm, not sure, but my general assumption was that a Ranger could follow any deity they wished, whether it was a nature deity or not. After all Mystra has Rangers as of Champions of Valor.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  05:59:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Hmm, not sure, but my general assumption was that a Ranger could follow any deity they wished, whether it was a nature deity or not. After all Mystra has Rangers as of Champions of Valor.

Oh.

Well, I still find it weird. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  06:38:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh.

Also, as I recall... the RANGER entry in the FRCS tells us that some rangers, with odd interests, often select patron deities outside the regular deity preferences for the druid and ranger classes.

EDIT: Just looked it up -- it's on pg. 26.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 May 2006 06:39:10
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  06:57:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Also, as I recall... the RANGER entry in the FRCS tells us that some rangers, with odd interests, often select patron deities outside the regular deity preferences for the druid and ranger classes.

Nod, but I still find it odd that he has rangers. :) Ah well, I'd add it to my list of things to ignore but he's not even a deity in my FR. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  07:09:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's never been a factor for me anyway because, as you know, I don't have Cyric in my FR either. But also, I usually house-rule the fact that rangers, like druids, must select a deity that has nature and/or animal aspects in his/her portfolio in order to receive divine magic for their spells.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  07:31:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, considering the importance of the Weave on Toril, one could perhaps make the case that Mystra has a bit to do with nature.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  07:34:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could take a different view, if one remembers that FR is not monothist. It is not like there is only one true deity. The patron deity is just the one most closely aligned with, that does not mean other deities are not believed in or concepts like nature. Following Ed's concept that up to level 2 spells are granted by deities in most cases without any consideration of degree of worship (in effect not noticed by granting deity at all) a ranger could select any patron deity and not worry about not getting spells until level 11 (1st time one can get a 3rd level spell if stat high enough).

Yes it might be odd, but when you can have varient rangers and rangers casting divine spells in the first place they were already odd.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  07:35:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's never been a factor for me anyway because, as you know, I don't have Cyric in my FR either. But also, I usually house-rule the fact that rangers, like druids, must select a deity that has nature and/or animal aspects in his/her portfolio in order to receive divine magic for their spells.

Same with me, which is probably why I found rangers of Cyric so.... odd. :)

I can see Mystra having some for the reasons stated, but Cyric? Weird.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  07:36:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

You could take a different view, if one remembers that FR is not monothist. It is not like there is only one true deity. The patron deity is just the one most closely aligned with, that does not mean other deities are not believed in or concepts like nature. Following Ed's concept that up to level 2 spells are granted by deities in most cases without any consideration of degree of worship (in effect not noticed by granting deity at all) a ranger could select any patron deity and not worry about not getting spells until level 11 (1st time one can get a 3rd level spell if stat high enough).

Yes it might be odd, but when you can have varient rangers and rangers casting divine spells in the first place they were already odd.

I'd agree with that but the FRCS doesn't back any of that up. :) By 4th character level, you must have a patron.

Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  10:03:10  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, Mystra has had rangers since at least Faiths & Avatars, if not even further back.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  14:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh.

And Talona has druid followers, although she is not a "nature deity" as such. Eric (Boyd) replied to me, that he has always felt that virtually ANY deity could have ranger/druid followers...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  15:57:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think, in the long veiw, almost any deity can grant any kind of divine power they want to. Gond could have a druid if he wanted to, but its not going to do much good for his overall worship, and the druid in question isn't likely to remain true to Gond if he reveres nature deeply enough, so thats why we see "nature" gods develop. The gods most likely to support druids and rangers are the ones that have some kind of stake in how the classes advance the deities overall goals.

Rangers "feel" a bit more wide open to me. You can have a warrior that loves the outdoors, understands animals, hunting, and trapping, but also loves the land he lives in, and uses his skills to track down naer'do wells in the wilds, and worships Tyr . . . Tyr isn't a "nature" god, but the ranger aids his overall goals well.

That having been said, it might take a bit more brainstorming to come up with what Cyric gets out of sponsoring rangers. Perhaps there is a specific order of Cyricist rangers that hunts and murders humans, thus fulfilling that part of Cyric's portfolio?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  17:21:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

And Talona has druid followers, although she is not a "nature deity" as such. Eric (Boyd) replied to me, that he has always felt that virtually ANY deity could have ranger/druid followers...

Well, Talona is on the druid/ranger deity list in F&P and I can see why, since some of her ports could be reflected as natureish. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  17:23:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

That having been said, it might take a bit more brainstorming to come up with what Cyric gets out of sponsoring rangers. Perhaps there is a specific order of Cyricist rangers that hunts and murders humans, thus fulfilling that part of Cyric's portfolio?

This, I think, is why it seems odd to me. What does he get out of having rangers and honestly, as I said a few times, his portfolios are not natureish.... I dunno, just seems strange to me. :)

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  20:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, Talona is on the druid/ranger deity list in F&P and I can see why, since some of her ports could be reflected as natureish. :)

True enough. I just love the idea of twisted druids unleashing strange diseases on civilizations around Faerūn

Still, I feel that the Blightbringer PrC would have been designed for Moanderites, if Moander has been "alive" at the time it was published.

I agree with Knight, that IMO all the deities may grant any sort of divine powers/spells to their followers. Otherwise there would be no Paladins of Helm (since Helm has no paladin levels ;) or Helm would have to ask Tyr or Torm to give his poor paladins their spells

Kuje - maybe we would need an "official" answer to this one? I like Knight's reasoning why there would be Cyric's rangers hunting and murdering people, and spreading fear of Cyric among mortals.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:36:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kuje - maybe we would need an "official" answer to this one? I like Knight's reasoning why there would be Cyric's rangers hunting and murdering people, and spreading fear of Cyric among mortals.

I thought about asking Ed but I didn't get around to it. :) And I don't go to the WOTC boards to ask Rich....

Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  22:28:22  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a ranger of Cyric would base himself near a natural feature that fools the eye, such as in an area of the desert where mirages are well-known, or near a rock formation that resembles an old man sleeping or a camel, or on a so-called gravity hill, where a combination of visual references makes a downword slope appear to be an upward slope, causing things to roll uphill and such.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  23:40:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

True enough. I just love the idea of twisted druids unleashing strange diseases on civilizations around Faerūn

Still, I feel that the Blightbringer PrC would have been designed for Moanderites, if Moander has been "alive" at the time it was published.

I agree with Knight, that IMO all the deities may grant any sort of divine powers/spells to their followers. Otherwise there would be no Paladins of Helm (since Helm has no paladin levels ;) or Helm would have to ask Tyr or Torm to give his poor paladins their spells

LoD shows that Cyric attempts to convert mosters and other exotic creatures towards his cause. I would picture a ranger of Cyric as being a scout/ bodyguard of sorts to clerics of Cyric, as stated within Lod. These Rangers would provide the scouting and wilderness lore, to enable the clerics to get to where they were going, to "preach" to these creatures. However, I do not have any type of answer for the divine spell portion. Additionally, I would disagree that Cyric would be "trusting" enough, to allow a follower to worship another god/ godess, in order to receive the divine spell aspect of the class. other deities, yes but not Cyric, he is not trusting or secure enough to allow this.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  23:44:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, I do not have any type of answer for the divine spell portion. Additionally, I would disagree that Cyric would be "trusting" enough, to allow a follower to worship another god/ godess, in order to receive the divine spell aspect of the class. other deities, yes but not Cyric, he is not trusting or secure enough to allow this.

These are the two things that made me go, "Ah? What?" I just can't see him as having spellcasting rangers and there's no other deity that he'd trust to supply ranger spells to his followers. :)

Ah well, maybe someday I'll ask Ed or a different game designer about it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  01:35:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LoD shows that Cyric attempts to convert mosters and other exotic creatures towards his cause. I would picture a ranger of Cyric as being a scout/ bodyguard of sorts to clerics of Cyric, as stated within Lod. These Rangers would provide the scouting and wilderness lore, to enable the clerics to get to where they were going, to "preach" to these creatures.
Hmmm... I'm not sure rangers of Cyric would appreciate being tied to such a mundane task within the clerical order. Sure, they're providing the clergy with duties vital to the continued conversion of monstrous creatures... but rangers by their very "nature" (pun partially intended) are an independent and unconformist lot. They don't like to be tied to specific operations and/or rules -- and operating fully within a clerical hierarchy would seem to be the death of their independence and freedom.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  01:36:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh...

As it is... I'm still trying to understand *how* Cyric has rangers in the first place. I'd like that properly answered before I could even wonder about where such a class would fit into the clergy for the Dark Sun.

It's a hypothetical wondering of course... since I'd never actually allow this in my own FR.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  02:04:49  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

LoD shows that Cyric attempts to convert mosters and other exotic creatures towards his cause. I would picture a ranger of Cyric as being a scout/ bodyguard of sorts to clerics of Cyric, as stated within Lod. These Rangers would provide the scouting and wilderness lore, to enable the clerics to get to where they were going, to "preach" to these creatures.
Hmmm... I'm not sure rangers of Cyric would appreciate being tied to such a mundane task within the clerical order. Sure, they're providing the clergy with duties vital to the continued conversion of monstrous creatures... but rangers by their very "nature" (pun partially intended) are an independent and unconformist lot. They don't like to be tied to specific operations and/or rules -- and operating fully within a clerical hierarchy would seem to be the death of their independence and freedom.

I hear what you are saying my friend. I believe Kuje's thread here is very interesting.

It almost seems as if the author did not do that much research on the church of Cyric portion.

However on page 9 of LoD in the typical encounters section, it does state this very thing. In regards to bodyguards to clerics - one level lower than the leader, with barbarians used in barbarian lands,and fighters in civilized lands and well traveled roads. My friend the ranger fits in right afterwards, by being used in forested areas.

Still it does not answer the question of why and how one would receive divine spells, as the original topic here is asking, but if you do not use Cyric in your realms, not issue and at the end of the day.. is a mute point
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  02:15:17  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As it is... I'm still trying to understand *how* Cyric has rangers in the first place. I'd like that properly answered before I could even wonder about where such a class would fit into the clergy for the Dark Sun.

There is a certain school of thought that considers Nature = Chaos and Civilization = Order. It could be that rangers who take Cyric as a patron hold to that sort of thinking.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  03:19:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However on page 9 of LoD in the typical encounters section, it does state this very thing. In regards to bodyguards to clerics - one level lower than the leader, with barbarians used in barbarian lands,and fighters in civilized lands and well traveled roads.
One or two perhaps -- low-level rangers -- I can accept (and if the issue of *how* Cyric has rangers in the first place is properly explained too). But not something that suggests this is an aspect typical of rangers in general in terms of operating within Cyric's clergy.

It just doesn't fit with the mindset of being a ranger.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2006 03:21:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000