Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Grand History of the Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  18:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well it took me a few months longer than I had anticipated but I've finally released the next update to A Grand History of the Realms. It can be downloaded at http://www.geonomicon.com/portal/

This edition contains a couple hundred new entries primarily centered on the regions of the Sword Coast North, Netheril, and the Old Empires. I've also included a new section entitled Ancient History which contains a new sarrukh creation myth and an atlas of faerūn during the Days of Thunder.

As before, all dates on the actual chronology are 100% canon and include references to the sourcebook in which the event was described. Color coding is used to differentiate events from different regions of Toril.

As always feedback is welcome. Enjoy.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  21:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... um...well...just wow

On a different note, Brian, is it possible to make the various other timelines in such a format that firefox can read 'em too?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  23:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Well it took me a few months longer than I had anticipated but I've finally released the next update to A Grand History of the Realms. It can be downloaded at http://www.geonomicon.com/portal/

This edition contains a couple hundred new entries primarily centered on the regions of the Sword Coast North, Netheril, and the Old Empires. I've also included a new section entitled Ancient History which contains a new sarrukh creation myth and an atlas of faerūn during the Days of Thunder.

As before, all dates on the actual chronology are 100% canon and include references to the sourcebook in which the event was described. Color coding is used to differentiate events from different regions of Toril.

As always feedback is welcome. Enjoy.

Feedback?

HA!

Words fail even my loquacious self when I try to praise your monumental works of history and historiography, which have been of inestimable value to me as a DM.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  01:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand
On a different note, Brian, is it possible to make the various other timelines in such a format that firefox can read 'em too?

Years ago, when I first started working on the xml timelines for my website, mozilla did not yet support xml & xslt. In the years since, firefox has added support for these technologies but the syntax is off just enough that my code does not work in that browser. So... the short answer is no I don't plan on converting the code to work on firefox. Which reminds me that I need to test the timelines on Internet Explorer 7. I will, however, most likely convert the xml timelines to .PDF format in the next few months.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  01:10:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work Brian!

I'm assuming you'll want Big Al to take a copy and replace the now outdated version of A Grand History of the Realms that's hosted here at Candlekeep?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  03:43:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very impressive my friend. I have now included this tome within my everyday realmslore resources. thank you for the work and effort that you put into this. I am also very happy that it has only canon references.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  04:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The SageI'm assuming you'll want Big Al to take a copy and replace the now outdated version of A Grand History of the Realms that's hosted here at Candlekeep?

Absolutely Sage. It's an honor to have the grand history hosted on Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  05:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.....just wow....that's all I can say.

Very very nice Brian!
(Okay, so I can say more )
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 26 May 2006 05:12:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  07:35:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The SageI'm assuming you'll want Big Al to take a copy and replace the now outdated version of A Grand History of the Realms that's hosted here at Candlekeep?

No problem .

-- Oh, and I appreciate the mention in the INTRODUCTION as well. It's a real hoot!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  08:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met

..and 'tis an honor to host it for thee, Brian I'll make this tome available on the site shortly.

Splendid work, simply splendid!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  09:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feedback ...

Excellent work again!

Zanan wonders, where her scrolls with regard to V'elddrinnsshar (1278 D.R and 1337 D.R. - Demihuman Deities, Kiaransalee) have ended up.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

mdhprime
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  15:19:33  Show Profile  Visit mdhprime's Homepage Send mdhprime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a great resoource! Well done and thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  16:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice resource ...

slightly ontopic ... anyone got an idea where to fit Eberron in the temporal chronology?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  16:51:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Connecting Eberron with Brian's TEMPORAL CHRONOLOGY would be difficult at best since there's largely been no direct connection between it or any other TSR/WotC setting.

EB is purely 3e -- it didn't share the planar framework offered by the Great Wheel in 1e/2e -- and thus, there is very little to work with in order to determine where specific events in EB history relate to events across the various other Prime Materials.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  17:05:47  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incredible.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  23:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the kind words everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  02:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It remains an incredible piece of work, great update.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  11:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, this scroll has been taken to the main German D&D site now as well. You're fast becoming a star!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 28 May 2006 11:04:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  15:23:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wonderful work. Gods bless all of ye scribes who put forth the effort that I only wish I could do.

Phillip

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  15:26:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

wonderful work. Gods bless all of ye scribes who put forth the effort that I only wish I could do.

Phillip

I believe it's mostly Brian's work. I know I found that timeline long before I came to Candlekeep, and it was only after it had been mentioned several times that Brian popped up over here.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm embarrassed to admit that I did not know of Candlekeep until Dargoth pointed me here following the first release of A Grand History of the Realms. Now it's one of the first sites I visit daily. The community here is fantastic and it is my hope that future additions of the Grand History will have much greater input from scribes beyond myself.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  15:55:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be happy to assist with a future update if and when it becomes viable to do so Brian.

Just let us know here. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need... .

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  17:59:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll be happy to assist with a future update if and when it becomes viable to do so Brian.

Just let us know here. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need... .

Echoes this, if you need help, just ask.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  14:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, really nice work, I'v been struggling for years to build a timeline..and it really helped with my ideas!

I have a question, for the "Atlas of the Ancient World" do you have a labeled world map, with ocean/sea names, mountain ranges and such? You have the kingdom regions deliniated but no geographic data.

I could possibly help with that if I had the JPGs of the base maps...I work with maps at work and have access to some programs that may help

thanks

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  15:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR timeline has been critical in game planning for me. I can play a canon FR campaign by not stepping on the toes of any other events of great importance that I do not know as well as my favorite subjects in FR. A work of art, truly!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kalin, none of the maps I created for the Atlas have geographic labels though I definitely see value in them. I'm actually considering removing the Atlas of the Ancient World for the next update of the Grand History so I can flesh it out in a separate document. I may take you up on your offer to enhance the maps, but it will be a month or two out before I can begin on that project.

Thanks for the kind words Wandering_mage.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  03:15:40  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kalin, none of the maps I created for the Atlas have geographic labels though I definitely see value in them. I'm actually considering removing the Atlas of the Ancient World for the next update of the Grand History so I can flesh it out in a separate document. I may take you up on your offer to enhance the maps, but it will be a month or two out before I can begin on that project.

thats ok, I did notice you had geographical references in the Atlas's main body though. I will probably be tinkering with the "ancient map" on my own anyways, I printed out a close-up of the pre-Sundering map and was planning the free-hand draw in the mountain ranges (once I go get my trail maps, Maztica and Zakhara maps) and (my) creator race territories...you are welcome to anything you'd like. Can you expand the map to include Kara-tur and Malantra (sp??), shift it more to the left? That would be cool

I just remembered today that there is a Zakhara adventure that pretty much refers to an area of extensive Batrachi ruins, did you notice that when you were making the atlas? Is there a reason you really didn't cover Kara-tur and Zakhara?

thanks for answering

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  01:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar
I just remembered today that there is a Zakhara adventure that pretty much refers to an area of extensive Batrachi ruins, did you notice that when you were making the atlas? Is there a reason you really didn't cover Kara-tur and Zakhara?
Which Zakhara adventure are you referring to. I'd certainly like to take a look at it. Kara-Tur and Zakhara will be covered at a later date. I stopped the current Atlas at -24,000 DR and humans had not yet migrated to those lands yet.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  14:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which Zakhara adventure are you referring to. I'd certainly like to take a look at it. Kara-Tur and Zakhara will be covered at a later date. I stopped the current Atlas at -24,000 DR and humans had not yet migrated to those lands yet.

I'm refering to the boxed supplement/adventure Ruined Kingdoms by Steven Kurtz which is mostly about the very ancient kingdoms of Nog and Kadar...unfortunately Al'Qadim is notorious for being very quantitative-weak on timelines

my reference is to the ruined kingdom of Rog'osto, which is filled with ancient-metalic towers (organicly shaped like mushrooms or clubmosses) built by an ancient, alien amphibious race

p. 26
quote:
Rog'osto's greatest mystery is it's towers. It is assumed that they were created by some magical, possibly divine race from the heavens. A few surviving inscriptions from this race are in an archaic tongue seen nowhere else in the Land of Fate. They speak of war, say the sages, between the city dwellers and "those above". The natives evidently lost and abandoned their city. The nature of these original inhabitants is unknown, except that they were humanoid. All races have been suggested, but common thinking leans towards the burnt elves (i.e. the drow).

p. 29
quote:
Rog'osto's great secret involves the nature of its mysterious towers. The current inhabitants of the City of Spires assume that their towers were always were on the surface. In reality, the great towers were built by an undersea race, the locathah, long before humans came to this part of the world, when the land was underwater

As the box set came out in 1994 and so much cannon has been released since, I think it's easy to extrapolate that it was a Batrachi city that survived mostly intact after the Sundering

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  00:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have absolutely nothing to say other than

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/9780786947317
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  01:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000