Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 modified Polymorph
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  05:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
... something i thought about ... is it 'just' a permenented Polymorph that Mystra give Elminster in his young days, when he was still learning magic, that made him into Elminstra or was it a more specialized spell?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  06:10:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is Elmara and I do not believe it was a polymorph spell at all, but Mystra's divine will. Elminster became both male and then female, and back to male again. Elminster was able to experience both sexes and, all (at the time classes) fighter, thief, cleric, and mage.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  17:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elmara then ... couldn't remember the name fully so a gave it a stab and didn't hit :p

hmm .. divine will eh ... is there any known way to emulate the spell (arcane prefered) so it goes as a more or less permenent Polymorph spell without being a spell which have been used permenent on? (not to mention that polymorph can't be permenented)

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Wish spell might do it
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  19:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, as long as you are avoiding spells that need to have permanency cast on them, Kaladorm has the best, and probably only, option. (Aside from the old cursed Belt of Masculinity/Femininity which I think was reprinted somewhere...but I suppose even that could be dispelled or have a Remove Curse cast upon it.)

If you wanted to branch out, Encylopaedia Arcane: Nymphology from Mongoose Publishing has a few gender switching spells and items. The book, however, wouldn’t be something you would consider “worksafe”, and in fact can be rather infantile, but that’s the way they intended it to be.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  19:26:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always go fall into the wrong spring at Jusenkyo...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  19:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I do believe we have notes of Elmara touching hot water successfully.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  19:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What a great addition to the Realms that would be, eh? Would that be a template?

And can I learn Cat-Fu?

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  00:33:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I was wondering if anyone would catch that one...

Jindael: sure, you can learn cat-fu, but make sure you read the entire book first. Don't pull a Genma on that one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  00:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jindael: sure, you can learn cat-fu, but make sure you read the entire book first. Don't pull a Genma on that one.

*Holds up sign that says "panda's can't read."* :p

OKay, I'd like to segway back on topic here, but I can't figure out how.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  04:09:09  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from what I remember, and I can dig deeper if neccessary, is that Mystra charged Elminster to "experience" the realms. and until he did so, he would not be ready to face the mages who killed his family. So, I do not think that this would be any ordinary spell, but the divine will of a godess
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  11:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm ... then ... there is no known way to emulate the divine will as far as the wizards of faerûn is are aware ...

only thing i can think of is a spell in a wild magic area going haywire :)

Edited by - Sian on 26 May 2006 11:27:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000