Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sschindylryn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  16:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is the only truly decent amount of info in the Menzoberranzan Boxset? The concept of an aquatic-themed drow city entices me, and I'd like some more info on it if there is any.

I'll probably be getting several PDFs from RPGNow.com about 2e drow modules, but is there any other sources with at least somewhat detailed information on Sschindylryn? It seems to get the short end of the stick, compared to Sshamath, Ched Nasad, and Menzoberranzan.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  16:51:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's largely undetailed. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark contains lore on Sschindylryn's Gate... but that relates more to a location nine days out from Menzoberranzan.

Interestingly, in Eric's first draft of DDGttU, he intended Sschindylryn's Gate to lead to the drow city of Erelhei Cinlu on Oerth - creating an FR/GH crossover. This was in response to the fact that there was a listing of several Greyhawk drow cities and noble houses in Ed's Drow of the Underdark. This attempt to fix a Realmslore contradiction however didn't get through the editing process.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 May 2006 16:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  09:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm ... dunno, but i never heard of that many Greyhawk drow cities bar Erelhei Cinlu. Which are the others?

As for Sschindylryn, a few notes on that place can be found in one of the War of the Spider Queen novels, when Danifae and Valas go there.

As for short sticks, about all drow cities of Faerūn get short sticks when compared to Menzoberranzan. Even the info on Sshamath, Eryndlyn, Ched Nasad and the like pale in comparrison.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 19 May 2006 09:15:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  11:06:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

As for short sticks, about all drow cities of Faerūn get short sticks when compared to Menzoberranzan. Even the info on Sshamath, Eryndlyn, Ched Nasad and the like pale in comparrison.

That's the truth... As far as drow cities go, Menzoberranzan is neither overly large nor overly important. But because Drizzt came from there, to many people it's the only drow city worth mentioning.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  16:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see more information on Ched Nasad and Sshamath The Underdark book didn't have enough for me

Ched Nasad did get a section in Icewind Dale 2 though
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  21:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

I'd love to see more information on Ched Nasad and Sshamath The Underdark book didn't have enough for me

They got more attention than Sschindylryn. I suppose that just gives DMs more freedom to craft cities, such as Sschindylryn and Undrek'Thoz (more understandable since it debuted in 3e), but I MUCH prefer concrete and established things than those which you just concoct yourself....
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  20:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, is Sschindylryn indeed mentioned in the Menzoberranzan Boxset, and if so, is it at least a little detailed, or more along the lines of the very brief description in the FRCS?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  20:54:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

So, is Sschindylryn indeed mentioned in the Menzoberranzan Boxset, and if so, is it at least a little detailed, or more along the lines of the very brief description in the FRCS?

If I recall right, it was just a passing reference that is about a sentence long. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  21:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

If I recall right, it was just a passing reference that is about a sentence long. :)

lol, well, thank you anyways guys.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  01:13:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

The actual passage (ppg. 19) mainly details that the drow from Sschindylryn have discovered a gate nine days out from Menzoberranzan. Part of the local news and events for Menzoberranzan...

Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  01:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, by the way y'all, I find that there's some more info on Sschindylryn. The web-enhancement of City of the Spider Queen has a nicely-sized entry on Sschindylryn during/after the silence of Lolth with the other cities.

Just thought I'd let it be known. It's nothing spectacular, but it's at least some more enlightenment on the city.
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  07:53:08  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm running an adventure in Sschindrylyn right now, for one of my many groups, as a matter of fact. The model is, of course, Venice with spires. A recent mind flayer move in, followed by a Githyanki force that is at war with the Mind Flayers makes the city an uneasy place to be...

I tried to imagine the city as built the way that Elves would build an underground city in a water based environment, with locks, water elevators, islands, and sinkholes.

Getting there was actually bad. One of the PC's, a Deep Imaskari, had been jonesing for a meeting with another of his race. Well, I'm certain the Deep Imaskari Vampire wizard wasn't really what he wanted, but you know...that wizard ran them out of EVERYTHING. He had Craft Trapmaking and Expert Trapsmith. It was not a kind dungeon crawl.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  15:20:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Ched Nasad did get a section in Icewind Dale 2 though

Well, spoiler

Ched Nasad got sacked and is ruled by the chaulssin now.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:42:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, by the way y'all, I find that there's some more info on Sschindylryn. The web-enhancement of City of the Spider Queen has a nicely-sized entry on Sschindylryn during/after the silence of Lolth with the other cities.

Just thought I'd let it be known. It's nothing spectacular, but it's at least some more enlightenment on the city.

Those details are set just *during* Lolth's Silence, not after though.

Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  03:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The SageThose details are set just *during* Lolth's Silence, not after though.

*Shrugs*

Still, it's still more information than we had. At least it gives us (read: ME) some more data on it. Though, it's probably nothing that I wouldn't find out when I get to the tiny part on Sschindylryn in the WotSQ series {currently reading}.

quote:
Originally posted by msatran

I'm running an adventure in Sschindrylyn right now, for one of my many groups, as a matter of fact. The model is, of course, Venice with spires. A recent mind flayer move in, followed by a Githyanki force that is at war with the Mind Flayers makes the city an uneasy place to be...

I tried to imagine the city as built the way that Elves would build an underground city in a water based environment, with locks, water elevators, islands, and sinkholes.

Sounds cool, almost like how I envisioned it. One thing I particularly see is their use of aquatic spiders, whose webs (just like several real-world spider species) are water-resistant and can lock in air. Ergo, there's a non-magical underwater life-support system right there. In conjunction with magic, there are quite a few cool possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Mekorig
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  21:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Mekorig's Homepage Send Mekorig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the list of Drow cities in Greyhawk somewhere in my PC. When i found it i will update this post.
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  07:33:15  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the layout in Annihilation (5th book in the series) it says that Sschindylryn is contained in a pyramid shaped cavern having three sides each two miles long with the tip two miles high. In the outer edges of the cavern great trenches or moats have been dug around the city with several expanses of stone at various intervals around the city center crossing between the two areas. Slave quarters exist on the other side of these bridges away from the city itself.

The entire city scales up toward the city's center which is a giant ziggurat (a mountain of buildings and other structures). Many of the buildings are constructed from stone and brick (unusual for a drow city) and are fairly close together. They rest on stepped tiers, starting at the bottom of the cavern and climbing towards the ziggurat and continuing up. Sschindylryn's center (the ziggurat) is split into 9 levels and rises to a height of perhaps 2200 feet or a mile and a half.

Levels 1-3 are the Gate Houses. Accounting for approximately a third of the ziggurat's height, these levels house most of Sschindylryn's thousands of gates. And other than the city's many gates, there is no discernible way in or out of the great cavern.

Levels 4-6 are the Trade Levels which is the site of most, if not all, of the city's trade.

Levels 7-9 are home to the city's High Houses, or nobles.

At the pinnacle of the ziggurat sits the temple of Lolth.

Sschindylryn is a city that specializes mostly in divination and transmutation magics. They were very war-like at one point, using their portals to raid other underdark settlements and cities. A sound defeat by the army of Menzoberranzan curbed that practice.

Edited by - Inaubryn on 27 Jul 2006 07:39:37
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inaubryn

From the layout in Annihilation (5th book in the series) it says that Sschindylryn is contained in a pyramid shaped cavern having three sides each two miles long with the tip two miles high. In the outer edges of the cavern great trenches or moats have been dug around the city with several expanses of stone at various intervals around the city center crossing between the two areas. Slave quarters exist on the other side of these bridges away from the city itself.

The entire city scales up toward the city's center which is a giant ziggurat (a mountain of buildings and other structures). Many of the buildings are constructed from stone and brick (unusual for a drow city) and are fairly close together. They rest on stepped tiers, starting at the bottom of the cavern and climbing towards the ziggurat and continuing up. Sschindylryn's center (the ziggurat) is split into 9 levels and rises to a height of perhaps 2200 feet or a mile and a half.

Levels 1-3 are the Gate Houses. Accounting for approximately a third of the ziggurat's height, these levels house most of Sschindylryn's thousands of gates. And other than the city's many gates, there is no discernible way in or out of the great cavern.

Levels 4-6 are the Trade Levels which is the site of most, if not all, of the city's trade.

Levels 7-9 are home to the city's High Houses, or nobles.

At the pinnacle of the ziggurat sits the temple of Lolth.

Sschindylryn is a city that specializes mostly in divination and transmutation magics. They were very war-like at one point, using their portals to raid other underdark settlements and cities. A sound defeat by the army of Menzoberranzan curbed that practice.

O_O

Wow, that's very different than how I envisioned it. A ziggurat was the last thing I'd expect.

Still, thanks for sharing. Guess I'll be looking foward to book V (Dissolution is fantastic... I can't believe I didn't start on this series when it first came out).
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  14:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes well....dont get to excited Aqua. :/

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000