Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 discussion on Play-by-email games
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:12:51  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm posting to ask if there are any current PBEM games running that are looking for any more players?

I'm currently running my own campaign via PBEM (http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3966) and so I'm pretty familiar with it, but I'd much rather play with the trusted scribes at candlekeep rather than having to go 'outside' . I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands soon so I can post pretty regularly.

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I've actually been meaning to collate a list of links and information on active PBeM FR games running for a sticky topic herein. If anyone wishes to answer Kaladorm's question, then i'll add ye to the list

So ye have a lot of time on thy hands eh, Kaladorm? Well why didn't ye say sooner... i've got just the job for thee

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I 'will' have a lot of time on my hands :) Right now I'm spending about 26 hours a day working for these exams, but they're all done in 4 weeks (erk!). and I'll have about 4 months off.

I'm loving working on the realms but want to get more and more involved. If you need anything doing I'm happy to give it a go

p.s. you can add my game to the list for starters

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be very interested in joining your PBEM game Kaladorm, albeit in a few weeks time once my finals are over with!

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should have been clearer that I'm actually looking to join another game myself :)

My game has I think 8 players at the moment, which is getting tricky to balance for, but hey I like a challenge. Things have been a little quiet of late but the next batch of emails will have yours included so you can see a little of what its like
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, no problems....I *may* even look into DMing one such game myself, provided I get more familiar with the rules etc.

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Ender
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  23:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Ender's Homepage Send Ender a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have run games via IRC in the past--I like it a bit more than email because it moves along a bit quicker. Later we switched to using OpenRPG, which is good too since it has a minis board on it (makes combat pretty simple)

(actually I'm starting a new one up now. Should be fun.)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  03:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ender

I have run games via IRC in the past--I like it a bit more than email because it moves along a bit quicker. Later we switched to using OpenRPG, which is good too since it has a minis board on it (makes combat pretty simple)

(actually I'm starting a new one up now. Should be fun.)

IRC is a great medium to run games over; I'd suggest judicious use of +m, +v, and +o, and keep the game channel under wraps except to players and chosen others. It's ideal because of its plain text nature; there's a lot of cruft possible over other systems that IRC doesn't include. The main problems are that it is technologically complex for some users(you may have to hand-hold them through setting up a client and connecting) and that 3e is very hard to run on it due to lack of a grid; I can work around this, but some effects(most emanations) are very hard to implement.

I'm actually looking for more players for my Wednesday night Undermountain game over IRC, if anyone's interested.

@Kaladorm: The best guide on balancing for large parties in 3e can be found on SKR's website.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  09:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arivia, I have had a read of that
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'll be interested in joining the fray :) ... tried playing via IRC before with succes (that the group died pretty fast because we where having some serius battle ingroup about what to do with goblin childs is another story)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  17:53:25  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been considering one for a bit now - first level, the 'scouring of the Ghost Holds' plot I've mentioned before, starting in the spring of 1357DR.

Let me think on it a bit longer, and I'll do my best to decide yea or nay sooner rather than later.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  19:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys can I just say that I am not looking here to increase the number of players in my campaign. Whilst I'm sure it would be good fun I already have plenty enough whose mad schemes I have to cope with

I'm looking for a game to play in myself (though I'm sure anyone else wanting to join a game can apply here too in the hope a DM will see it )
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  19:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

i'll be interested in joining the fray :) ... tried playing via IRC before with succes (that the group died pretty fast because we where having some serius battle ingroup about what to do with goblin childs is another story)

Only problem is we're starting at 2-3 am your time and going for 4 hours.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  20:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... then it depends on what day it is :p ...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  08:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also be interested in a compilation of PBeM games and related resources, especially ones run by members here. I have been at a lost when it comes to finding new games (specifically FR PBeMs) since the disappearance of Pbem.com.
Go to Top of Page

Mordakay of Thay
Acolyte

Romania
33 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  13:13:53  Show Profile Send Mordakay of Thay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you guys checked www.ghostorb.com ?Seems promising.

William Yeats

Edited by - Mordakay of Thay on 09 May 2006 13:14:52
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  20:08:00  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have recently picked-up the thread of my PbeM game after a internet access hiatus. Resident scribe and Candlekeep Compendium contributor Hymn is missing in action, and his character Branith Rockbiter - 4th lvl priest of Moradin might be in need of a new player...

Click on the following link for the Yahoo group: Twilight Dawn

In addition journal installments of the early part of the game can be found on the Candlekeep main site.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  21:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

I have recently picked-up the thread of my PbeM game after a internet access hiatus. Resident scribe and Candlekeep Compendium contributor Hymn is missing in action, and his character Branith Rockbiter - 4th lvl priest of Moradin might be in need of a new player...

Click on the following link for the Yahoo group: Twilight Dawn

In addition journal installments of the early part of the game can be found on the Candlekeep main site.

Well met

Hmmmm, still no word from Hymn, eh?

Regarding thy journals, Mumadar, I merely await thine updates and will gladly keep doing so whenever ye send them

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  00:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry everyone, I shouldn't announce openings for an OA game since it's not set in the Realms. I just looked it up in the code of conduct, I should not have posted in haste. My apologies.

Edited by - Archwizard on 02 Jul 2006 02:10:01
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  08:06:04  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recently mentioned to Fletch (oh, about 5 minutes ago), if everything works out in the next month, I may have some time on my hands (regular, and on-time articles Al!) to re-start the Sundabar Seven. I only want to do it if I have the time, however. You, of course, will be in if I can get it back up and running.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

As I recently mentioned to Fletch (oh, about 5 minutes ago), if everything works out in the next month, I may have some time on my hands (regular, and on-time articles Al!) to re-start the Sundabar Seven. I only want to do it if I have the time, however. You, of course, will be in if I can get it back up and running.

Well met

Ahh, splendid, Hammer. I always look forward to thine articles on dwarven lore

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:38:30  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I've actually been meaning to collate a list of links and information on active PBeM FR games running for a sticky topic herein.

Alaundo, any udpate on this initiative?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I've actually been meaning to collate a list of links and information on active PBeM FR games running for a sticky topic herein.

Alaundo, any udpate on this initiative?

Well met

Apologies, Mumadar, it slipped my mind to chase this up. If we can start a current active PBeM collation and anyone running such a game can please email or PM me with the following details, then i'll get something up soon

Mandatory:
PBeM Name
PBeM DM
DM's Email address
PBeM Overview

Optional:
Expected Duration
Character positions available
Lurkers permitted?
Any other information

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  07:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since my group has disbanded (due to real life matters) I have been considering doing a PBeM or some form of E-PnP (Using a chat client, etc) However having never facilitated such an undertaking (the 'e' part, my players felt I was a fairly competent DM) I am still considering how to get started.

Kaladorm, you would not considerwriting up an Idiot's Guide to DMing a PBeM manual with all your free time would you ?

Seriously though, if anyone can recommend any good resource(s) on handling a PBeM it would be much appreciated. I have to leave for the states for a summer class at the University of Las Vegas this week, but I would like to start something in mid August when I return.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  11:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea Chyron.
I'll start work on it when I get back from the beach today
Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  01:22:27  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am starting a Play by Post FR game based in Waterdeep and the Silver Marches over at Brennor's RPG Corner.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  05:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Since my group has disbanded (due to real life matters) I have been considering doing a PBeM or some form of E-PnP (Using a chat client, etc) However having never facilitated such an undertaking (the 'e' part, my players felt I was a fairly competent DM) I am still considering how to get started.

Kaladorm, you would not considerwriting up an Idiot's Guide to DMing a PBeM manual with all your free time would you ?

Seriously though, if anyone can recommend any good resource(s) on handling a PBeM it would be much appreciated. I have to leave for the states for a summer class at the University of Las Vegas this week, but I would like to start something in mid August when I return.

There used to be a decent barebones write up of what a PBeM is and how to run one on the defunct site PBeM.com. This unofficial replacement is the closest I could find: http://www.pbem2.com/resources.php

I've noticed a few games out there, very few, but many are regular D&D games that happen to borrow FR elements, and not approaching the depth and integration I've experienced in the past.

I'm still up for an FR PBeM. I haven't been in one for nearly a year, since it is the only method I can play through, I'm going through withdrawal. I see character concepts in my sleep...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  05:52:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,

I've seem to have lost a player for my PBEM since Joe has been MIA since June and we can't find a way to get ahold of him.

So, I'm looking for a 1st level character, that can have 700 exp towards 2nd level, to replace his char. As the players decided, no ECL races above +1 and as for classes, since it'll be like a 6th or 7th player, it doesn't matter. Play a class you want to play.

If anyone is interested, contact me either via PM or email and we'll go over char creation. :)

The logs for the game are in the Keep adventure forum.....

Edit: Never mind, gees, you people are quick.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Jul 2006 05:56:27
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  06:00:01  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I'll say people are quick! A little over 4 minutes from post to edit - so in that time - someone got ahold of you!

Anyway - I was curious - do you have/allow any 'lurkers'? I'd be at least curious as to how things run.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  06:06:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I'll say people are quick! A little over 4 minutes from post to edit - so in that time - someone got ahold of you!

Anyway - I was curious - do you have/allow any 'lurkers'? I'd be at least curious as to how things run.

Dhomal

Sure,

If anyone wants to lurk, just let me know. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  19:14:34  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case of interest, lurkers are welcome on the Twilight Dawn PbeM. Currently there are no openings for players (the recent position filled by resident scribe Sian), but openings could become available in the future. Contact the DM for more information.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000