Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  12:12:43  Show Profile  Send Neo2151 an AOL message Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

All FR novels in amazon.com are MIS-labelled with YA reading level.

To be totally fair, how do you mean "mis-labeled?"

What I mean to say is that, in my experience with the Realms (which, up until the time jump for 4th Edition, was about 15 books shy of all of them!) there were only a handful of "Adult" themed stories and/or novels.
I'll go ahead and say Greenwood is about the only author who really does any adult writing for the Realms, and by the standards of an "adult" tag, he's usually pretty tame about it (sure, there were a couple really dark stories that Salvatore gave us about Wulfgar, but those only lasted for a few books.) Any sexual themes (at all!) are done by Greenwood and pretty much nobody else, and all the violence is very PG to PG13 at worst.

So, take this with a grain of salt if you want, or call me jaded (and believe me, I am!) but if I want "adult themed fantasy" I'm not coming to the Forgotten Realms to get it. I'll be in Westeros or Hyboria.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  13:04:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

All FR novels in amazon.com are MIS-labelled with YA reading level.

To be totally fair, how do you mean "mis-labeled?"

What I mean to say is that, in my experience with the Realms (which, up until the time jump for 4th Edition, was about 15 books shy of all of them!) there were only a handful of "Adult" themed stories and/or novels.
I'll go ahead and say Greenwood is about the only author who really does any adult writing for the Realms, and by the standards of an "adult" tag, he's usually pretty tame about it (sure, there were a couple really dark stories that Salvatore gave us about Wulfgar, but those only lasted for a few books.) Any sexual themes (at all!) are done by Greenwood and pretty much nobody else, and all the violence is very PG to PG13 at worst.

So, take this with a grain of salt if you want, or call me jaded (and believe me, I am!) but if I want "adult themed fantasy" I'm not coming to the Forgotten Realms to get it. I'll be in Westeros or Hyboria.

There's a difference between something being adult or not, and young adult. Young adult often implies teenaged readers, while saying something is adult often implies not only a mature audience, but one that is willing to read about sex and/or dark themes. There is a middle ground, and that's where most FR fiction falls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  13:30:40  Show Profile  Send Neo2151 an AOL message Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
There's a difference between something being adult or not, and young adult. Young adult often implies teenaged readers, while saying something is adult often implies not only a mature audience, but one that is willing to read about sex and/or dark themes. There is a middle ground, and that's where most FR fiction falls.

What's the official categorization for such a group? Because for the life of me, I wasn't aware there was an official age group between "Young Adult" and "Adult"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-adult_fiction

My point was that FR very easily falls under a Young Adult tag, and was simply pointing that out.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  14:57:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What's the official categorization for such a group? Because for the life of me, I wasn't aware there was an official age group between "Young Adult" and "Adult"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-adult_fiction

My point was that FR very easily falls under a Young Adult tag, and was simply pointing that out.

Your link explains it. YA is 14-21. Most FR novels do not target that specific audience -- but they also don't specifically target the audience that wants sex and/or mature themes, which is what "adult" fiction generally entails. We're not talking age groups, we're talking labels -- unless you're going to accept that 14 year olds are adults.

So if you're not targeting only teenagers, and you're not targeting only people who want sex and dark themes, then there is in fact a middle ground.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  15:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, you clearly don't read my novels, I think.

I recommend starting with Ghostwalker. Just the prologue should do it, I think. In fact, here's a free sample: http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2.pdf

And here's the companion story I wrote for the novel (also free): http://o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2_2.pdf

Also, you might consider some Paul S. Kemp as well. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  18:21:13  Show Profile  Send Neo2151 an AOL message Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Wow, you clearly don't read my novels, I think.

I recommend starting with Ghostwalker. Just the prologue should do it, I think. In fact, here's a free sample: http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2.pdf

And here's the companion story I wrote for the novel (also free): http://o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2_2.pdf

Also, you might consider some Paul S. Kemp as well. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

No need to continue to be off-topic so instead you have a PM, sir!

Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  21:33:15  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/Masked-Witches-Brotherhood-Griffon-Book/dp/0786959827/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312144165&sr=1-2

Cover for the novel. :) I like it, but is seems to be very dark- are these the wychlaran?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  08:36:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

An intriguing title. An interesting blurb. A really cool cover. I can't wait to read it!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  00:53:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I did not know there were to be more than 3 books! Great! Any plans for a 5th book or even more?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  01:13:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Wow, I did not know there were to be more than 3 books! Great! Any plans for a 5th book or even more?

Richard said it's going to be six books.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  03:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Six minimum, fingers crossed for even more.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  05:09:54  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Excellent! Do you basically build new stories with the same crew from book to book, or do you have a greater scheme in mind that unites all the books?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  12:06:40  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad to hear that. Can't wait! :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  12:21:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow. That's great! So maybe we'll be seeing a dozen?

I know I said it before, but I just can't say it quite enough...May you venture back to Thay. It's been awhile since we've seen a Thay-centered series. I heard Bob is touching a little on the famous realm of undead (Szass Tam scheming in Gauntlgrym); but I'm having a feeling Drizzt and Co. will not set foot on Thay. Drizzt killed a thousand orcs; but I doubt he could handle a thousand tireless undead.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  14:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
skychrome: So far (and by so far, I mean from The Haunted Lands through Brotherhood of the Griffon #6), I'm telling three-volume stories, but with ongoing subplots that run through the whole saga. I don't really have a master plan for Aoth's entire career. I come up with an idea for the next story when I need one. Given the nature of this particular series, I don't see any advantage to steering toward some predetermined endpoint. Even though Cera believes that the gods have sometimes used Aoth as their agent, he's emphatically not a character in the Elric mode moving inexorably toward a Destiny or a Doom.

The three-volume story isn't something that WotC has required. But since they contract for three BptG books at a time, it's natural for me to think in those terms.

Dennis: For obvious reasons, Thay is the last place that Aoth and his comrades want to return to. But that doesn't mean they won't ever have to. We'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  16:07:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps they could enter incognito? Though the problem would be to get a very powerful illusionist to hide them... Maybe one of the masked witches?

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  02:51:46  Show Profile  Click to see jornan's MSN Messenger address Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Six Books with the possibility of more! That is fantastic news, as I am really enjoying the series and can't wait for book four to come out.

Mr. Byers, why is it that you are able to release these books so quickly, whereas other authors (I know some just can't write them that fast)such as Paul S. Kemp have lamented how slowly his books are being released?
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  03:46:40  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

skychrome: So far (and by so far, I mean from The Haunted Lands through Brotherhood of the Griffon #6), I'm telling three-volume stories, but with ongoing subplots that run through the whole saga. I don't really have a master plan for Aoth's entire career. I come up with an idea for the next story when I need one. Given the nature of this particular series, I don't see any advantage to steering toward some predetermined endpoint. Even though Cera believes that the gods have sometimes used Aoth as their agent, he's emphatically not a character in the Elric mode moving inexorably toward a Destiny or a Doom.

The three-volume story isn't something that WotC has required. But since they contract for three BptG books at a time, it's natural for me to think in those terms.

Thanks for the answer Richard! Sounds very good, really looking forward to it! I think a trilogy is always one of the best options to really built an interesting story in the realms (with a few exceptions like for example Black Bouquet, which I really loved as stand alone).

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  13:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jornan: I would answer your question if I knew the answer, but I don't. I have no idea what goes into the decision-making when the publisher is figuring out how to handle the work of other writers. Some of the time, I don't even understand why the publisher is handling my work in a particular way. All I can tell you is that a while back, I asked if my novels could come out faster than they had been, and WotC said okay.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  19:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

jornan: I would answer your question if I knew the answer, but I don't. I have no idea what goes into the decision-making when the publisher is figuring out how to handle the work of other writers. Some of the time, I don't even understand why the publisher is handling my work in a particular way. All I can tell you is that a while back, I asked if my novels could come out faster than they had been, and WotC said okay.

I'm certainly glad that you asked to have them released faster because I like the accelerated release schedule.

Looking around Amazon I saw that the cover art for Venom In Her Veins is up. I like it.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  03:36:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It appears like only your novels are published that fast. Which I really like. Waiting is excruciating.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  20:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a couple new listings on Amazon, one of which I am fairly certain is a FR book and the other I would say has a decent chance of being one. The first is Prince of Ravens by Richard Baker, which I assume is a sequel to City of Ravens. It's currently listed as a Kindle release for whatever that's worth. The book has a July 3rd release date. The other, which I suspect is a FR given the author (and it's being released by WotC, to be clear) is The Gilded Rune by Lisa Smedman. A number of her D&D books have been FR books, so that is why I am assuming this one is as well. Though she has also been involved in a number of Ravenloft products in the past looking over her Amazon listings so maybe we will see something new on that front. Her books is listed as a paperback. Her book also has a July 3rd release date, which may cast doubt on it being a FR book as I don't believe they release 2 on the same day.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2011 :  21:59:29  Show Profile  Click to see jornan's MSN Messenger address Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens sequel ebook only.....for $#@&

Edited by - jornan on 20 Oct 2011 21:59:57
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  22:50:12  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

City of Ravens sequel ebook only.....for $#@&

Might be something else than a sequel... Cannot find any information on this in the web except release date. Wizards page states nothing neither...

Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2011 :  05:03:20  Show Profile  Click to see jornan's MSN Messenger address Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Baker made mention on his blog a while back that he was working on a sequel. I really wanted it in good old fashioned book format, but will buy an ebook if I have to if it means Jack Ravenwild!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000