Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  20:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Now, it seems every book** is the first of a trilogy.

Heh, well, it may *seem* that way, but a lot of us are writing stand-alone, self-contained novels where the option of a sequel isn't on the table (though you never know . . .). The story's totally in the one book, from beginning to end.

All the Waterdeep books are like that, and the upcoming Wilds, and there have been the four class series, the Dungeons, the Citadels . . . all single novels that don't lead into a trilogy of any kind.

Now I would *love* to write a trilogy . . . it's just not in the cards at the moment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:05:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

All the Waterdeep books are like that, and the upcoming Wilds, and there have been the four class series, the Dungeons, the Citadels . . . all single novels that don't lead into a trilogy of any kind.
There was also "The Cities" series of four stand-alone novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  18:46:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Single novels are really the way to go, and certainly no more multi-author series!

That being said, I just finished Blackstaff Tower, and found I had absolutely NO connection to the subject-matter.

Had nothing at all to do with quality - Steven did a comendable job (I at least finished it), but I didn't care about the characters or anything that was taking place - it was like seeing FR through some sort of Bizzaro-world lens.

I can at least honestly say I gave 4eFR literature a try now. I'm not 'bashing' here - the story was good - I just couldn't 'get into it'. Not with the word 'Spellplague' appearing on every other page, and references to stuff like "Aumanator's Temple".

It really wasn't what I was expecting at all.

For anyone 'moving forward' and enjoying the 4e world and rules, I would highly recommend it... but it wasn't for me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2009 18:47:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2009 :  00:05:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Had nothing at all to do with quality - Steven did a comendable job (I at least finished it), but I didn't care about the characters or anything that was taking place - it was like seeing FR through some sort of Bizzaro-world lens.
Really? Even Renaer? He very quickly became one of my favourite Steven-crafted characters.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  01:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! Just got word that I can announce that the working title of my forthcoming Realms novel is Elemental Bonds, that it's part of the new Planetouched series, and that it's scheduled for 2011!

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  02:08:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Christopher. "The Planetouched" is definitely a series I'm looking forward too. Looks of neat and new planar-lore to make this old planar-fan very happy!

Go to Top of Page

draethe
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  23:21:13  Show Profile  Visit draethe's Homepage Send draethe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything to do with the planes or plane touched characters and I'll gladly read it.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  20:49:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RA Salvatore signs new 6-book contract with WotC

The contract is for six new books, all featuring Drizzt, with the first to come out some time in 2011.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  21:42:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The contract is for six new books, all featuring Drizzt, with the first to come out some time in 2011.

Interesting.

I heard one of the six may be titled "Drizz't Must Die!"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Jan 2010 21:43:12
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is awesome news! Glad to hear it! He stated on the RA Salvatore forums that "The Ghost King" was definitely not the last we had seen of Drizzt.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  17:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like two trilogies to me. Well, once I get a hold of The Ghost King (and therefore finish collecting the Transitions trilogy, I may actually never buy another RAS Realms novel. A thought that brings on mild depressing thoughts.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  17:29:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know the feeling. I love Drizzt as a character and still go back and re-read the novels from time to time. But I'm starting to feel that he's story has been told. I'm not sure where else RAS could take him that would make the character or story grow/evolve. Now he's feeling more like a comic-book superhero, brought out when a new evil arises, etc., etc.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  19:12:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Sounds like two trilogies to me. Well, once I get a hold of The Ghost King (and therefore finish collecting the Transitions trilogy, I may actually never buy another RAS Realms novel. A thought that brings on mild depressing thoughts.

I hope you are right and one of the two trilogies is focuses on Entreri.....without Jarlaxle and D.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  19:15:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know the feeling. I love Drizzt as a character and still go back and re-read the novels from time to time. But I'm starting to feel that he's story has been told. I'm not sure where else RAS could take him that would make the character or story grow/evolve. Now he's feeling more like a comic-book superhero, brought out when a new evil arises, etc., etc.

I agree, I was hoping that when he eventually outlived Cattie, it might jade him and send him in a new direction. Thats the only hope I see for something new. But we shall see in 2011 where the first novel takes us.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  19:32:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
I hope you are right and one of the two trilogies is focuses on Entreri.....without Jarlaxle and D.

Unfortunately, from what the Press Release says, the main character of all the novels will be Drizzt.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  19:39:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, from what the Press Release says, the main character of all the novels will be Drizzt.

Ah I not only missed that somehow in your post but missed it in the release as well....

“Together, we will bring six more thrilling Dungeons & Dragons stories featuring Drizzt Do’Urden to our loyal fan base.”

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2010 :  09:26:18  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I hope he continues with the tack he started on in The Ghost King, with the characters facing challenges that they simply cannot overcome, etc. Six books like that I'd happily read. As much as I love him, Drizzt the superhero just doesn't make for great novels anymore.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 13 Jan 2010 09:28:18
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  01:02:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unbroken Chain - Jaleigh Johnson......July 6th 2010!!

I am really looking forward to her plunging into the shadar-kai of the Shadowfell....

Very Cool!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Feb 2010 16:04:38
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  16:06:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

quote:

Looks like we will get a healthy dose of dwarves also with Bob's next book available for pre-order on Amazon :

Gauntlgrym

I can't imagine a book named Gauntlgrym without Bruenor.

And with 384 pages there is plenty of room for more than one dwarf I hope!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Feb 2010 16:13:06
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  16:56:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But... but... It's already written into canon that Bruenor passes away BEFORE 1485. Unless he's gotten permission to "fill in the blanks" between the Spellplague and Present-day Faerūn, I don't see how Bruenor could be a part of the new novel.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2010 :  18:26:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But... but... It's already written into canon that Bruenor passes away BEFORE 1485. Unless he's gotten permission to "fill in the blanks" between the Spellplague and Present-day Faerūn, I don't see how Bruenor could be a part of the new novel.

I dont think Bruenor will be in it....I just meant it would be hard to read a book titled that without him.

But you raise an interesting point....I think Bob would be allowed to set his novels whenever he wanted to. I am sure if he set this book right after the last to give D and Bruenor something to do after their loses he would have been allowed to. But I have not heard a hint about anything in it yet.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Feb 2010 18:28:18
Go to Top of Page

BloodAngel72
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  22:50:02  Show Profile  Visit BloodAngel72's Homepage Send BloodAngel72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is incredible news of R.A. Salvatore's 6 book contract starting in 2011. Does anyone know if there are any other drow books coming out soon. I am extremely addicted to them. I thought the War of the Spider Queen was brilliant! I am thrilled to read more Drizzt, but I would also love to read more about Jarlaxle, Q'arlynd, Pharaun, Gromph, ect.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  13:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard of any.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  20:50:36  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Hi! Just got word that I can announce that the working title of my forthcoming Realms novel is Elemental Bonds, that it's part of the new Planetouched series, and that it's scheduled for 2011!

Cheers,

Has there been a name change for your novel? Amazon.com has the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandstorm-Forgotten-Realms-Christopher-Rowe/dp/0786957425/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276101909&sr=1-1
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  21:04:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham's The Serpent's Daughter in 2012...Woo Hoo!

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  06:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ms Cunningham has a new novel?.....awesome.

Gauntylgrym should feature Bruenor....I forget what date Ghost King ended. And I may be mistaken but I believe RAS and Ed have carte blanche when it comes to what is canon...So if RAS wants to extend Bruenors life...he can
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  06:11:31  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Ms Cunningham has a new novel?.....awesome.

Gauntylgrym should feature Bruenor....I forget what date Ghost King ended. And I may be mistaken but I believe RAS and Ed have carte blanche when it comes to what is canon...So if RAS wants to extend Bruenors life...he can

I don't read the novels of the 4e realms, but I might have to make an exception for Elaine Cunningham.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  20:17:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/253950000

dunno if it was posted yet, but its Bob's next book

and a neverwinter trilogy.... we see how it goes maybe??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  02:02:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dawnbringer a Forgotten Realms Novel, May 3rd 2011.

By Samantha Henderson

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Sep 2010 02:03:39
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  16:38:21  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dawnbringer a Forgotten Realms Novel, May 3rd 2011.

By Samantha Henderson

Hmmmm....

Amazon:Reading level: Young Adult

Seems that this is not precisely focused on CKs age average.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000