Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  23:19:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excelsior!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  10:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Nuff said!

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  14:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Updated after review of the Wizards website and Amazon.com. I found no date for the new Elaine Cunningham book or "The Fractured Sky" by Thomas Reid on either site.
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2008 :  15:57:45  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: The Fractured Sky and Elaine Cunningham's Reclamation:

Going by amazon.ca, The Fractured Sky was never there. Despite the adverts in the back of 07 Realms novels that stated that the book would come out in November 08, it appears that amazon never received such a listing from WotC. Mayhap this is due to the shake up caused by 4 E rescheduling, [which has already pushed back Shadowrealm and The Sword Never Sleeps, and, apparently, Swordmage as well.]

As for Elaine Cunningham's Reclamation, it was on amazon for November for many moons, but has recently disappeared completely. I'm hoping very much that this is just more reshuffling, or a case of Elaine Cunningham not having finished making the book awesome quite yet. If WotC was to pull a Dragons of the Hourglass Mage stunt on us, I would be very upset.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2008 :  20:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by initiate

As for Elaine Cunningham's Reclamation, it was on amazon for November for many moons, but has recently disappeared completely. I'm hoping very much that this is just more reshuffling, or a case of Elaine Cunningham not having finished making the book awesome quite yet. If WotC was to pull a Dragons of the Hourglass Mage stunt on us, I would be very upset.

The amazon release date for Reclamation here in germany is March,04 2008.
But they haven`t send it jet.
Here.

Mod Edit: Shortened the URL somewhat.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Mar 2008 23:18:47
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  04:35:32  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Checked amazon.ca again today:

Wizards appears to have gotten their stuff together re. The Fractured Sky, which is now on amazon's catalogue for November 4th, 2008, which would make it on schedule. That's one November release where its supposed to be...

It would seem that a new Realms trilogy will begin in December this year, [the same month in which The Twilight War wraps]: The title of the first novel in Bruce Cordell's Realms series is now listed. And that title is:

Plague of Spells
Abolethic Sovereignty, Book I

Colour me unsurprised.

fyi: Wizards is reissuing Troy Denning's Dark Sun cycle, The Prism Pentad. Might pick this up.

Those who don't want to pay 25 bucks to watch evil people break Krynn, and then dominate the shattered and violated ruins, [again], won't have to wait too long: Margaret Weis's Amber and Blood will be released in paperback in November.

Wooly: Thanks for asking Elaine about Reclamation. That book's just about all that's keeping me going on the Realms right now. I'd describe myself as ... concerned.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  05:09:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

fyi: Wizards is reissuing Troy Denning's Dark Sun cycle, The Prism Pentad. Might pick this up.
Oooh! Neat. I missed out on the "Prism Pentad" the first time around, and I've only ever been able to find one or two of them in second hand bookstores here. At least now I'll be able to complete my DS novel collection.
quote:
Those who don't want to pay 25 bucks to watch evil people break Krynn, and then dominate the shattered and violated ruins, [again], won't have to wait too long: Margaret Weis's Amber and Blood will be released in paperback in November.
Note, however, that the hardcover version will be available in May, and is already available for pre-order at MWP.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  23:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plague of Spells
Abolethic Sovereignty, Book I

Colour me unsurprised.

Color me unexcited. :-/

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  05:06:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oooh! Neat. I missed out on the "Prism Pentad" the first time around, and I've only ever been able to find one or two of them in second hand bookstores here. At least now I'll be able to complete my DS novel collection.

I, too, missed them the first time around. But I lucked out: someone had a big lot of TSR/WotC novels listed on eBay, and pretty much all of the Dark Sun novels were on there (maybe even all; I've not bothered to look). So now I have the Prism Pentad, and a bunch of other Dark Sun books -- and I got them pretty cheaply.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  07:29:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The books comprising the "Pentad" are the only DS novels I'm missing from my collection. Though, I've actually had the opportunity to read Books I, III, and V, loaned from a friend. I even tried, unsuccessfully, to persuade this particular individual to part with them, since she'd slowly been losing interest in DS through the years.

Of course, with the re-release, at least I'll now have the opportunity to read Books II and IV.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Mar 2008 07:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2008 :  13:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

quote:

The amazon release date for Reclamation here in germany is March,04 2008.
But they haven`t send it jet.
Here.

Mod Edit: Shortened the URL somewhat.

Now out: 4th, November.
Go to Top of Page

Jodes_Quenthal
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  04:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Jodes_Quenthal's Homepage Send Jodes_Quenthal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also wanted to point out that the new Citadels book, Obsidian Ridge, by Jess LeBow came out on April 1st (no april's fool joke I promise).

I really liked Neversfall and enjoyed LeBow's short story in the Realms of Shadow so I will be getting this book.

May the Realms live on
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jodes_Quenthal

Also wanted to point out that the new Citadels book, Obsidian Ridge, by Jess LeBow came out on April 1st (no april's fool joke I promise).

I really liked Neversfall and enjoyed LeBow's short story in the Realms of Shadow so I will be getting this book.

Well met

Indeed it did, Jodes_Quenthal. The Book Club scrolls were put up and are ready to use

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  20:06:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a cross-post to my Q&A thread. If the monitors wish to delete one of the posts or otherwise consolidate, feel free.

I've heard writers far more experienced than I admit that every now and then, they'll come up against a book that is far more difficult to write than they'd anticipated--including some stories they're never able to complete. For me, RECLAMATION was one of these problematic stories.

I rewrote the plot several times, changed the scope of the story, dropped characters and subplots and added new ones, changed Elaith Craulnober's role from a secondary character to a major character, wrote, revised, tossed out, lather-rinse-repeat. Despite all these efforts--and also because of them--I was unable to complete the book before the drop-deadline. After much consideration, the folks at WotC decided to cancel RECLAMATION.

I have absolutely no complaints about the way WotC has handled this situation. If a writer cannot, for any reason, meet a contracted deadline, the publisher has every right to cancel that book.

Yes, I'm disappointed. This story dealt with several issues I would have liked to resolve: the final mystery behind the moonblades, the identity of the child Princess Amnestria bore to Elaith Craunober, the fate of Kymil Nimesin, the royal succession of Evermeet. Elaith needed to face his past and move beyond it one way or another. Danilo needed to move beyond what my friend and current co-writer calls "a walking romantic subplot" and come into his own. Arilyn had residual issues raised by events in the last part of Dream Spheres.

But. With fourth edition around the corner, it just didn't make sense to push back the release date again. Upcoming 4th edition changes to the Realms will render many of the themes and concerns of this book irrelevant, just as the destruction of Halruaa pretty much guaranteed the irrelevance of the Counselors & Kings trilogy. Also, nine years have elapsed since the release of Dream Spheres, the last Songs & Swords book. Nine years. That's a long, long gap, even in as long-lived a series as Songs & Swords--Elfshadow, the first Songs & Swords book, has been in print longer than many FR readers have been alive. All things considered, it’s probably time to move on.

I apologize to readers who have been looking forward to this story and who are disappointed by its cancellation. You have my heartfelt thanks for all your support, kindness, and friendship over the years.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  20:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this a april joke?

Edited by - Lameth on 14 Apr 2008 20:20:21
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  21:09:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is this a april joke?

No, this is the real situation.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  21:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Is this a april joke?

No, this is the real situation.

That`s.....örks.
May I ask you if you get payed for the work you did already?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  22:22:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

That`s.....örks.
May I ask you if you get payed for the work you did already?

I'm going to pass on this question. Contractual issues are covered by NDA restrictions, and even if they weren't, I prefer not to get into the financial nitty gritty.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 14 Apr 2008 22:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  22:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drat... I guess I can strike Reclamation from my wishlist at amazon then...

What a shame... of all of the Realms books due out this year Reclamation was the one I was really hopping excited to read.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  22:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's very sad news indeed, Elaine I (as i'm sure many here will also agree) had very high hopes and long anticipation for the novel. (Also for myself, seeing it as a shining light and a hark back to the good old days). It is truly a shame that it will never be released, but I quite understand the reasons why. Perhaps if 4e wasn't looming, then it would have been more feasible.

Thanks for letting us know, regardless

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I apologize to readers who have been looking forward to this story and who are disappointed by its cancellation. You have my heartfelt thanks for all your support, kindness, and friendship over the years.

That is such sad news. I'm very sorry to hear that (and of course, I'm sorry I won't get to read the book!).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Drat... I guess I can strike Reclamation from my wishlist at amazon then...

What a shame... of all of the Realms books due out this year Reclamation was the one I was really hopping excited to read.

Me too. *cries*

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me three. Darn it, I was really looking forward to this one. Practically the only Realms novel I could say that about.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  01:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I haven't read much of Ms Cunningham's work (only her first 3 FR novels) its always a sad day when a writer's novel gets cancelled. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  16:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

Although I haven't read much of Ms Cunningham's work (only her first 3 FR novels) its always a sad day when a writer's novel gets cancelled. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Read them. You`ll love them.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  17:35:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that bites. :( It was probably one of the only FR novels I was looking forward to since I'm not buying 4e novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  17:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it`s time to send a Petition to WotC, like the Jericho fans did to bring the show back on CBS.

http://www.petitiononline.com/09272006/

----------

What`s the big problem to bring Reclamation to the bookshelfs? Most of the readers will be the fans of the songs and swords serie. They want to know how things will end for Arilyn, Danilo, Elaith etc.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  19:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to sound all cynical and sceptical... no, wait, I usually sound cynical where WotC's Realms and sense in general are concerned nowadays... Wizards will not care, even if 5k people signed that petition, it won't make a difference...

If we'd get 50k people to sign it, it might work, but I doubt we'll get that many people.

It doesn't fit their business plan... whatever that means.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  22:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the novels The Pirate King and the Ghost King?
Will they be placed into the timeline of the 4th Edition?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  01:40:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it`s time to send a Petition to WotC, like the Jericho fans did to bring the show back on CBS.

http://www.petitiononline.com/09272006/

----------

What`s the big problem to bring Reclamation to the bookshelfs? Most of the readers will be the fans of the songs and swords serie. They want to know how things will end for Arilyn, Danilo, Elaith etc.

Thanks for the thought, but I want to be very clear about this: The problem here is not WotC. If WotC had received a ms, they would have published it, but I couldn't finish the book. No matter what I tried, the story never came together. A petition is not going to change that.

This book wasn't casually abandoned, not by me, and not by WotC. They gave me an extra YEAR past the contractual deadline, and I still couldn't make the story happen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000