Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  09:01:52  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's anything like the Annotated Chronicles and Annotated Legends Weis and Hickman put together for the DL line, then this is sure to be a hit.

I can only imagine the Realmslore insights Ed will be able to share with us through the annotated notes! I'm sincerely looking forward to this particular novel release.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Mar 2007 09:02:56
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  11:34:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I look forward to this one, the annotated Chronicles has long been among my favorites . If this one sells, could we hope for an annotated version of the Shandrill books?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  22:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Amazon listing reveals:
quote:
A look inside the mysterious mind of Ed Greenwood!

The Annotated Elminster collects the first three of Ed Greenwood's classic Elminster novels: Elminster: The Making of a Mage, Elminster in Myth Drannor, and The Temptation of Elminster for the first time in a deluxe omnibus edition. Extensive annotations by the author will provide fascinating insight into not only the books themselves but the process of creation that made the Forgotten Realms(R) world this generation's greatest fantasy setting.

These three books chronicle the early years of the Realms' most powerful and most colorful wizard, the Sage of Shadowdale, Elminster. Follow Elminster from his humble beginnings as a traveling mage to the tragic collapse of an elven empire, and on to a personal turning point that could have sent him down a path to corruption and darkness.

Now this is something I might purchase.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  03:51:33  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This definitely sounds interesting. I for one would love to hear Ed's thoughts. The amount of knowledege and information that could be learned is huge. I own both the Annotated Legends and Chronicles and they are both simply outstanding. If this is even half as good as those it is a must buy. Who am I kidding though, this is Ed Greenwood we are talking about. The creator and person with the most love and knowledge of the Realms. This is a no brainer. Buy it!!!
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  01:13:46  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Wrote:
Now this is something I might purchase.

Aye, myself as well. I find that Ed Greenwood's fiction can be less than fully accessible to newcomers to the Realms, and as one such at the time when I first tried to read through the Elminster books, I look forward to being able to return to them with a (slightly) more experienced eye and illuminating commentary from the great author and creator.

I was never exposed to the Annotated Dragonlance Chronicles or Legends; nothing, I thought when the collections came out, which might possibly be contained therein could salvage the high, pure thing which the Chaos War and War of Souls destroyed for me. Even so, I've heard that the amount of Krynn lore contained in both products was quite impressive, and if this edition is in a similar vain it should, as Koz said, be truly spectacular. I eagerly look forward to new Realmslore from the master!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  20:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by initiate
Aye, myself as well. I find that Ed Greenwood's fiction can be less than fully accessible to newcomers to the Realms, and as one such at the time when I first tried to read through the Elminster books, I look forward to being able to return to them with a (slightly) more experienced eye and illuminating commentary from the great author and creator.

Agreed--I would definitely consider Greenwood's work something of an acquired taste...but rewarding for those who acquire it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Mar 2007 20:38:38
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Agreed--I would definitely consider Greenwood's work something of an acquired taste...but rewarding for those who acquire it.

Heheh. Well, as far as storytelling goes, he's all over the place, isn't he? His dialogue oscillates wildly between the long-winded and the gnomic; his plots are labyrinthine, meandering artifices; and he rarely lets action get in the way of a good joke or piece of realmslore. And, personally, I wouldn't have it any other way!

An annotated edition of the first three books is quite an exciting prospect, to be honest. I think, if you're going to tackle Ed's fiction, the first Elminster novel is probably the best place to start, because the plot, as its following El's personal history, more or less takes care of itself and the meanderings into different areas of lore and the encounters with different characters enrich the book rather than hinder the storytelling - which is sometimes the case with the later novels (and is certainly the case with Spellfire) - even now there are individual moments of that book that linger very vividly in my mind - the first appearance of the Magister, for example. It's an absolutely vital book for anyone who wants to understand Elminster and I think an annotated edition would be worth its weight in gold.

Looking forward to this one!

Best!

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  21:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

Heheh. Well, as far as storytelling goes, he's all over the place, isn't he? His dialogue oscillates wildly between the long-winded and the gnomic; his plots are labyrinthine, meandering artifices; and he rarely lets action get in the way of a good joke or piece of realmslore. And, personally, I wouldn't have it any other way!

His prose is definitely different...but much like yourself I like how it's different. Also, he does have a penchant for writing very memorable, "human" scenes...even books I didn't like as much (the latter two books in Shandril's Saga) have parts in them that I remember pretty vividly even though I read them years ago. I can't say that about every book I read.

Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  04:32:26  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon Updates:

Nothing very substantial. The "Realms of War" anthology is listed by Amazon.ca, [the source I most frequently use for this sort of thing], as a January 08 release, just as announced in the latest run of WotC bookend adverts. The reprint of Dave Gross's "Lord of Stormweather" is slated for February, thus rapping up the Sembia reissue. [Perhaps they'll reprint something else now. The "Azure Bonds" series would be cool, as I've never read them and I'd rather like to.]

A new twentieth anniversary edition of book 1 of The Legend of Drizzt is being published in February next year, presumably for the sake of those people who, through some miraculous circumstance, inspired by the gods themselves, have somehow not been exposed to the book in the past. I love the Drizzt series, but the number of reissues in recent memory is no longer conveniently ennumerable, and big numbers frighten me.

As for new novels, Amazon has no listings for December, January, or February, which means we may be somewhat in the lurch until RLB's "Undead" comes out in March. Ah well, more time to catch up on older stuff.

Edited by - initiate on 22 May 2007 04:39:39
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Seeker

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  01:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage  Send Renzokuken an AOL message Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, more editions of the Drizzt novels? I do look forward to "The Orc King", however. And the "Annotated Elminster" will indeed be on my ever-growing bookshelf. If it is half as good as the "Annotated Chronicles", I will indeed be pleased.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  09:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am indeed late to stumble upon this scroll, but Annotated Elminster...I am most definitely drooling!

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

UsagiRyu
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  19:56:42  Show Profile  Visit UsagiRyu's Homepage  Send UsagiRyu a Yahoo! Message Send UsagiRyu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other Upcoming Releases:
Elaine Cunningham - Restoration (Songs and Swords, Book 6)

According to Elaine Cunningham's website Restoration is a Starlight and Shadows book, picking up several years after the end of "Windwalker."

Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  22:14:11  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UsagiRyu

Other Upcoming Releases:
Elaine Cunningham - Restoration (Songs and Swords, Book 6)

According to Elaine Cunningham's website Restoration is a Starlight and Shadows book, picking up several years after the end of "Windwalker."

Either way I'm looking forward to it.

I think you mean that it picks up after the last Arilyn novel. There, as far as Elaine has said, are no plans to continue the Liriel novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29707 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  02:39:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the confusion stems from the description of one of the short stories in the Best of EC:

quote:
Answered Prayers, which revisits Liriel several years after the events of Windwalker

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 May 2007 02:39:39
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  05:23:39  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New updates from Amazon:

"Undead", Book 2 of RLB's Haunted Land trilogy, is listde for a March 2008 release, which has been generally known for a while as its listed in the adverts in the back of a lot of recent FR novels. Also, for those who are collecting the Legend of Drizzt hardcovers, "Book XIII: Sea of Swords" releases in March next year. It seems that, as its been retroactively removed from the "Paths of Darkness" series, [such is the power of Drizzt as a market force that he can alter the warp and weft of trilogies passed], "Servant of the Shard" will not be included in these hardcover printings. If that's not enough Drizzt in the space of one month to satisfy you, take heart, as a "twentieth anniversary collector's edition" of Book 2 is also beeing printed that month.

Here, however, is relatively fresh news: A listing has recently appeared on Amazon.ca for "Reclamation", Songs and Swords Book VI, by Elaine Cunningham. This listing has the long anticipated novel releasing on March 4th, 2008. This is Amazon, so what they say should be taken with a grain of salt; [when you're dealing with the number of books their system does, mistakes will inevitably be made I suppose], but it would be really cool if this info was correct. I'm pretty sure that this is my personal "most highly anticipated" Realms novel right now, and I'm anticipating quite a few!

Edited by - initiate on 13 Jun 2007 05:31:25
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  01:39:31  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC's April 2008 products are starting to appear on Amazon. The Realms releases include:

the paperback printing of the Legend of Drizzt edition of "The Legacy"

the mass market paperback printing of "Swords of Dragonfire", Book 2 of the Knights of Myth Drannor by Ed Greenwood

and the next Citadels novel: "Obsidian Ridge", by Jess Lebow

Also, the Amazon listing for Songs and Swords VI, "Reclamation", hasn't gone away, and still lists the novel as a March 4th 2008 release. Glorious!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5567 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  08:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Ahhh, a good find, initiate Looks like it's time to tap Jess for more info

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5567 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  17:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Initiate, do you have a link for this? I can't find it anywhere

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  23:05:57  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, my apologies. I can't post links from this computer, but I found it this way:

Go to www.amazon.ca , search in "books" for "obsidian ridge", and it should show up as the first and only result. I found it the first time by searching in books for wizards of the coast and then sorting the search results by publication date; [the site gives you the option to do this]. Sorting the list this way shows the products WotC will publish farthest in the future first, and "Obsidian Ridge" was near the top of the list, along with the other April 08 releases.

I hope you can find it and that I didn't imagine it!

Edit: I didn't put the link to amazon.ca into this post. It happened when I posted the message and it does not work.

Mod edit: The link wasn't working because it acquired a comma. I moved the comma over, so the link now works.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Jul 2007 01:53:23
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  02:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Jess Lebow impressed me with his last novel--I'm happy to hear he has another one on the way.

Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Seeker

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  00:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage  Send Renzokuken an AOL message Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Jess will not disappoint me with another novel.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  04:39:49  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'll be! I'd been checking amazon.ca for WotC updates fairly regularly for the last couple of days, as its rolling back around to that time of the month again, but was actually alerted to the presence of the update by Dragon Reader in the "Citadels Series" thread. Can't turn my back for a minute...

Anyhow, for the record, May 2008 will see the release of "The Shield of Weeping Ghosts" by James P Davis, the third novel in "The Citadels". Hurrah!

Its early days yet, I suppose, but Paul S Kemp's last Twilight War novel "Shadowrealm" isn't on amazon's May 08 list yet. Hope this will change in time; the Twilight War novels have come pretty close together, but Paul writes wicked cliffhangers and I'd hate to have to wait a day longer than necissary!

And now for something new: There is now an item listed on amazon.ca called "Swordmage". Under the "product details" section of its entry it is listed as having 352 pages, the same as a lot of FR novels. Its also a hardcover and its written by Richard Baker. Its priced at $29.something Canadian which is cheap for a WotC hardcover, but could this be a new novel from Rich Baker? Hmm, very interesting.

As I believe has been noted elsewhere, Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords novel "Reclamation" has been bumped back from March 4th 2008 to April 1st 2008. No matter; it shall still come soon enough. And then, joy shall reign from a golden throne.

Oh, and the new mass market paperback printing of RAS's "Starless Night" will hit next May as well.

Though there's no release date yet, and the announcement was made over in the "2008 FR rpg products" thread by the author himself, this is the upcoming novels thread, so: Steven Schend has said that he has written a sequel to "Blackstaff" called "Blackstaff Tower", which will be released some time in autumn of 2008. Let there be much jubilation!

An OT sidenote: Just because there are people who might like to know, the third of Margaret Weis's "Dark Disciple" Dragonlance novels appears to be scheduled for May 2008. It is entitled "Amber and Blood".

For those who wish to varify my findings, I apologize for my inability to post links. Go to www.amazon.ca search in "books" for "wizards of the coast". You then have the option to sort your search results; do so by "publication date", the last option in the box. May 08's products should appear at the top of that list. Hopefully you'll be able to turn up any mistakes I've made!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  04:46:38  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An OT sidenote: Just because there are people who might like to know, the third of Margaret Weis's "Dark Disciple" Dragonlance novels appears to be scheduled for May 2008. It is entitled "Amber and Blood".
Ah, so the release date's finally set. Neato! Thanks initiate...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

unknown warrior
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  18:23:51  Show Profile  Visit unknown warrior's Homepage Send unknown warrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
has anyone heard anything about the knew drizzt novel the orc king by chance.anything would be helpful.

Don't stand in my way.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  01:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unknown warrior

has anyone heard anything about the knew drizzt novel the orc king by chance.anything would be helpful.

September 25 according to Amazon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000