Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Polymorph
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  21:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I can already see some scribes cringing at this title :)

I've read a little about the reasoning for polymorph changes on the wizards website, I've also tried following the link they give to the errata, but cannot for the life of me find in plain speech what the exact changes are

Any help appreciated

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  23:24:22  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is the Key part.

quote:
The latest errata doesn’t seek to “fix” polymorph. Instead, it seeks to end polymorph’s stranglehold on other elements of the game—from class features (the druid’s wild shape) to related spells (animal shapes, baleful polymorph) to the many monsters who use powers based on the same effect (such as the succubus and yuan-ti)—by revising those elements so that they can function without referring to the problematic polymorph spell. This means that players and DMs who don’t mind their spellcasters using the polymorph spell can continue to use it as written in their home games, but the number of times they come across the spell in other aspects of the game will greatly diminish.

Translated that's; "Rather than alter 'Polymorph', we're going to alter the things that polymorph affects, so it impacts on our ability to design stuff less."

Basically, they're saying it's a hassle on designing things that involves shape change (or something a player could shape change into) because of the way it impacts on encounters and player abilities.

Imagine a player polymorphing into a really powerful mob and turning your DM's challenging encounter into an easy slaughter, your DM is not going to be happy and the designers are not going to be happy either. So they always have to take polymorph into account when designing.

Needless to say with the broad scope polymorph has that's a real pain in the backside. This is supposed to be the first step to addressing that.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:27:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Essentially what they were saying, and they were pretty obtuse about it, is that for tournaments they are going to scrap polymorph . . . doesn't exist anymore. For future supplements they are going to do their level best not to refer to it anymore, but its in the SRD and the PH 3.5 if you don't have a problem with it.

I would say (Much as I hate to invoke the hated name of that which has not been confirmed), its a pretty clear indication if 4th edition happens with the same management in place, polymorph as a general spell is probably not going to make the transition.

Oddly enough, I have never really had a problem with this spell in my campaigns. If anyone abused it, it was probably me (as the DM). At worst, in previous editions I had some players use it for desperation escapes ("hey, I can fly now" or "hey, I can breathe water and swim" and you can't) or for a REALLY desperate way to get back 1d12 hit points.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Essentially what they were saying, and they were pretty obtuse about it, is that for tournaments they are going to scrap polymorph . . . doesn't exist anymore. For future supplements they are going to do their level best not to refer to it anymore, but its in the SRD and the PH 3.5 if you don't have a problem with it.

This is pretty much correct; near everything that referred to polymorph no longer does by errata. The fix is optional: DMs can just ban polymorph and the rest of that family(which might just be shapechange and alter self), without worrying about other references.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000