Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 New to Everything
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Avaly
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  23:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Avaly's Homepage Send Avaly a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail and Honor,
Well, I hate to embarass myself, but I am very new to all that deals with Realms. I have just discovered roleplaying only a few years ago. While growing up, D and D was considered the "devil's" work and my parents being quite religious, I was banned from even trying out. However, I was encouraged to read and I began to dip in my father's book which consisted of Sci-Fi. My father could not fall asleep without reading; so he had tons of books. After reading one of the books my sister gave to me at the age of 10 (The Hobbit), I was quite hooked. I read all the books in a matter of a week. I then dived into books by David Eddings and Melanie Rawn. My parents saw no harm in me reading fantasy as long as I just read and wrote about it but didn't act it out. Avaly came about the age of 12 in my writings. Ok, I have gone way off topic.... Anyways, I am now playing a wood elf ranger in Silver Marches ran by Mumadar. I am in search of some knowledge on what my ranger's god/goddess might be. I would gladly take any suggestions. If you want to know my temperment of my new character, I believe Mumadar have published a snip of it in another forum. Again, I thank all of you in advance for your help and I have a feeling I will be requesting a lot of information. ....ok, while I am at it....I would like to start reading the FR books and see what I have been missing in my 28 years....any suggestions on which book I should start on?

Thanks again,

Avaly Nightstar

aka
Joell (like Noel but with a J...I blame my mother...rofl)

Edited by - Avaly on 10 Mar 2003 03:04:25

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  03:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avaly

While growing up, D and D was considered the "devil's" work and my parents being quite religious, I was banned from even trying out.

I know what you mean. My mom made my brother actually throw out a computer game called Draken that, from what little I remember of it, seems to have been one of the earliest D&D computer games. (Anyone who can confirm or deny this, feel free to tell me.)

She didn't have any problem with reading the books though, and as I recall he had a lot of the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms (FR was just starting out at this time -- I think within five years of first publication). I didn't read them until later, but I remember the cover of Spellfire to be quite interesting . . . . I'm a sucker for good cover art.

quote:
My father could not fall asleep without reading; so he had tons of books.

Sounds like a distant relative! I have the same problem.

quote:
I then dived into books by David Eddings and Melanie Rawn.

Yay! The Prince of Epic Fantasy! (Tolkein being the Emperor, of course!) But who's Melanie Rawn? If you put her in the same sentence as Eddings, I think I need to look her up . . . .

quote:
My parents no harm in me reading fantasy as long as I just read and wrote about it but didn't act it out.

Like I said, my mom was like that. Was, anyway. She trusts me on such respects more than my brother, so she believes me when I tell her that certain things aren't Devil-work . . . . And she isn't as closed-minded as she used to be. For one thing, she LOVES the Harry Potter books.

quote:
Ok, I have gone way off topic....

Oops, same here. Well, I'm not exactly unknown for such things . . . .

[Ouch! Alaundo! Cut it out! I'll hurry up, I promise!! ]

quote:
....ok, while I am at it....I would like to start reading the FR books and see what I have been missing in my 28 years....any suggestions on which book I should start on?

Take a look over here for a similar question posed by Branmakmuffin. Also, take a look at some reponses to Lord Entropy's topic here. I'm sure you won't get scared off like Lord Entropy did!

quote:
I am in search of some knowledge on what my ranger's god/goddess might be. I would gladly take any suggestions.

Bookwyrm immediately runs off to the side, to avoid the rush of ranger-classed scribes surely about to burst in.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  06:20:13  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly I apologize for not welcoming you earlier.

To answer you inquiry about the sutible god/goddess for an elven ranger, I would recommend Rillifane Rallathil:

RILLIFANE RALLATHIL
(the Leaf Lord, the Wild One, the Great Oak)
Lesser Power, male, CG(N)
Attributes: Forests, sylvan creatures, elves
Domains: Animal, Chaos, Good, Plant
Symbol: Oak tree
Typical Worshippers: Elves, sylvan creatures
Raiment:
Preferred Weapon: druid weapons
Holy Days:

Rillifane Rallathil (RILL-ih-fane RALL-uh-thihl) is protector of the woodlands and guardian of the harmony of nature. He is often likened by his clerics to a giant ethereal oak tree, so huge that its roots mingle with the roots of every other plant on Wearth, that stands at the heart of Arvandor, the High Forest of Olympus. The great tree draws into itself all the ebb and flow of seasons and lives within the woodlands of the green elves. At the same time, it defends and sustains those lands against disease, predation, and assaults of all kinds.

Rillifane is quiet, reflective, and enduring over eons unchanged. He is the least flighty of all the Seldarine (elvish Powers), the least likely to act on a whim, and often grave and self-absorbed. The Leaflord rarely ,manifests himnself on the Prime, disliking direct action and preferring that his clerics carry out his wishes.

The Great Oak draws energy from all the living creatures of the world and nourishes, sustains, and protects them from outside threats. Live in harmony with the natural world, allowing each living being the opportunity to serve out its natural purpose in life. As the Leaflord's countless branches, his faithful are to serve as his mortal agents in the natural world- Defend the great forests from those who would ravage their riches, leaving only destruction in their path. Contest both the quick and the slow death of Rillifane's bounty and hold strong like the great oaks in the face of those who can see only their own immediate needs.

The church of the Leaflord generally keeps to itself, extending itself only to help fellow elves and other sylvan beings. The church hierarchy is organized regionally and divided into branches, as each type of cleric serves a specific role. The druids who compose the bulk of Rillifane's clergy tend to the health of the forests and those who dwell within, fiercely contesting any attempt to further reduce those forests that remain. Many clerics serve as ambassadors of the faith, working outside the communities of the elves to educate other races and even other elven subraces how to better dwell in harmony with nature.

Rillifane's priests are deadly enemies of those who hunt for sport or those who harm trees maliciously or unnecessarily. Rillifane's clerics are charged with rooting out and destroying sentient plants whose nature has been twisted by external forces into a warped perversion of nature. In particular, they seek to destroy hangman trees, obliviax, death's head trees, black willows, serpent vines, and any form of evil treant, including dark trees.

Hope this helps... I have more information if you want it email me..

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:45:37  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Take a look over here for a similar question posed by Branmakmuffin. Also, take a look at some reponses to Lord Entropy's topic here. I'm sure you won't get scared off like Lord Entropy did!

Zemd looks at Bookwyrm with an angry look
"Bookwyrm, don't do the work of Alundo, he'll feel useless!"

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  22:33:26  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

While growing up, D and D was considered the "devil's" work and my parents being quite religious, I was banned from even trying out.

I know what you mean. My mom made my brother actually throw out a computer game called Draken that, from what little I remember of it, seems to have been one of the earliest D&D computer games. (Anyone who can confirm or deny this, feel free to tell me.)

At least your mother didn't burn one of your fantasy novels in the fire place (it was Talking to Dragons, highly recommended). I think Draken was originally a Japanese computer game, it was ported to the Super Nintendo. That reminds me, the mother of a friend of mine once threw out his King's Quest game for the same reason. We could start a new thread on this subject!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  00:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that reminds me of another highly recomended book, called Mathemagics. Just the title sounds good, right? It's got a preacher in there who wants to get rid of all ungodly works . . . SF&F, romance, and math textbooks (the latter having five-sided figures, don't you know).

Anyway, it's by Margaret Ball, and it's hilarious. One good example is the fact she doesn't use chapter numbers . . . she uses mathematical equations whose answers are the same thing (or close to it). In fact, magic works by way of mathematics . . . I like how she mentions that you never want your spell to divide something by zero.

It's based on a short story in the Baen anthology Chicks in Chainmail. (Hey, don't get mad at me, ladies, the title was picked by a woman.) It's worth picking up just for that story . . . .

[Bookwyrm trails off, having finally noticed the Look Alaundo is giving him.]

Er, yes . . . *ahem* We seem to have gone, uh, off track . . . . ([speaking quickly] If you want to know any more, or to trade more book titles, email me!)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  17:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed...

While Rillifane would be your best bet, another good choice might be Mielikki - who is a bit overdone, I must admit.

Ah nevermind....I research elven history all the damned time and talk about it here more than I should....so I guess it would be hypocritical to suggest anyone but Rillifane...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  17:32:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
It's based on a short story in the Baen anthology Chicks in Chainmail. (Hey, don't get mad at me, ladies, the title was picked by a woman.) It's worth picking up just for that story . . . .

[Bookwyrm trails off, having finally noticed the Look Alaundo is giving him.]

Er, yes . . . *ahem* We seem to have gone, uh, off track . . . . ([speaking quickly] If you want to know any more, or to trade more book titles, email me!)

It sounds intriguing, Bookwyrm But I dont recognise the name, surely it cant a tome of Toril origin so obviously I have no interest in such work....honest

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  21:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

It sounds intriguing, Bookwyrm But I dont recognise the name, surely it cant a tome of Toril origin so obviously I have no interest in such work....honest

[innocent look]

Go to Top of Page

Avaly
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  23:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Avaly's Homepage Send Avaly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you kindly for all your responses....looks like I will be reading a lot of books and have found a god for my little ranger to have. /bow respectively

Oh, Mealine Rawn is the author of the Dragon Prince (I think that is the name...I will find it on my bookshelf)....there are three books about the father....and 3 books about the son.....it is wonderful...each book is over 400 pages...but you won't want to put it down. :)

Avaly Nightstar

Edited by - Avaly on 11 Mar 2003 23:35:13
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  14:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a little late now and you already have some good suggestions, but you could consider Silvanus as well. I'm not too knowledgable about him, but he's a nature god and would suffice to grant your character ranger spells.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  15:01:30  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Indeed...

While Rillifane would be your best bet, another good choice might be Mielikki - who is a bit overdone, I must admit.

Ah nevermind....I research elven history all the damned time and talk about it here more than I should....so I guess it would be hypocritical to suggest anyone but Rillifane...

Hail Arion, sages of matters elven .

I had mentioned to Avaly to look on the forum for answers, and hoped you'd pop in with some advice as to which deity would suit a wood-elf ranger from the North. (most likely from the wood elven community in the southern reaches of the High Forest) My thoughts had also gone to Rillifane, but wondered if you or anyone else would have another opinion.

Avaly,

If your ranger leans a little more to feminine aspects of life and less towards 'pure' nature, I think Sehanine Moonbow could also be a good choice.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  18:21:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Avaly,

I'm sorry to hear that you grew up with that. I hope over the next 15 and a half years, you've been able to enjoy the awesome that is the Forgotten Realms.

I would recommend the Avatar Trilogy, but then again...I would recommend just searching for Forgotten Realms and reading everything you can see! :)

Best regards,

quote:

Hail and Honor,
Well, I hate to embarass myself, but I am very new to all that deals with Realms. I have just discovered roleplaying only a few years ago. While growing up, D and D was considered the "devil's" work and my parents being quite religious, I was banned from even trying out. However, I was encouraged to read and I began to dip in my father's book which consisted of Sci-Fi. My father could not fall asleep without reading; so he had tons of books. After reading one of the books my sister gave to me at the age of 10 (The Hobbit), I was quite hooked. I read all the books in a matter of a week. I then dived into books by David Eddings and Melanie Rawn. My parents saw no harm in me reading fantasy as long as I just read and wrote about it but didn't act it out. Avaly came about the age of 12 in my writings. Ok, I have gone way off topic.... Anyways, I am now playing a wood elf ranger in Silver Marches ran by Mumadar. I am in search of some knowledge on what my ranger's god/goddess might be. I would gladly take any suggestions. If you want to know my temperment of my new character, I believe Mumadar have published a snip of it in another forum. Again, I thank all of you in advance for your help and I have a feeling I will be requesting a lot of information. ....ok, while I am at it....I would like to start reading the FR books and see what I have been missing in my 28 years....any suggestions on which book I should start on?

Thanks again,

Avaly Nightstar

aka
Joell (like Noel but with a J...I blame my mother...rofl)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000