Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Lord Ao
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  05:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bellua Aeneus Lacerta

Accepted--Put you puzzle thread somewhere Bookwyrm.

Actually, it doesn't work in text. It's a bitmap I made. I'll email it to you.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  08:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

So what's the planar limit Echon was talking about?

These limits do not apply to gods, only to mortals, despite what I might have said earlier in this thread. However, I learned this while reading the Planescape Campaign Setting() and here it says that the Ethereal Plane (including the Elemental Planes) only connect to the Astral Plane (including the Outer Planes) through the Prime Material. This has some limit on planar travel and how some magic works. However, the gods are not subject to this and are capable of granting spells to priests in the Ethereal Plane even though the God is in one of the Outer Planes.

As to the question of wether these gods are known outside of Toril, I definately think so. Takhisis of Krynn resides in the Abyss, probably alongside a couple of gods of Toril (cannot think of any), Shar and Cyric both reside in Hades likely side by side with other neutral evil gods from Ravenloft or Athas, etc. With the exeption of those few gods who reside in the Prime Material, all other gods dwell in the outer planes, specifically in the one matching their alignment. Knowledge of this may be rare to Primes but common to those residing in Sigil and the Outlands.

I hope the above makes sense. If not, complain.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  11:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

As to the question of wether these gods are known outside of Toril, I definately think so. Takhisis of Krynn resides in the Abyss, probably alongside a couple of gods of Toril (cannot think of any), Shar and Cyric both reside in Hades likely side by side with other neutral evil gods from Ravenloft or Athas, etc. With the exeption of those few gods who reside in the Prime Material, all other gods dwell in the outer planes, specifically in the one matching their alignment. Knowledge of this may be rare to Primes but common to those residing in Sigil and the Outlands.

See, Mumadar? That's what I was asking. But noooooo, Echon had to give it to me.

Seriously (well, as serious such as we can get ), how were the gods of multiple worlds effected? Was it just that "tendril" of the god's self that was forced into a mortal avatar, or was it the whole package? Was it just a piece of Lloth that went to the Underdark, or did she have to leave the Abyss entirely?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  12:18:05  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taking Lloth as an example again.

A part of the concept Lloth (or an aspect if you want) was 'banished' to the Underdark as a result of Ao's intervention... But that had no effect at all for the concept Lloth in Greyhawk, Earth, or Planescape. Only the 'part' of the being 'Lloth' in the Abyss that is concerned with Faerun would have been affected by the ToT, and none of the other 'parts'.

A priestess of Lloth on Oerth did not notice anything wrong with her goddess while at the same time (or is it a paralel time, or completely different time...?) priestesses of Lloth on Toril suddenly went without spells and communication with the Spider Queen...

But to be honest, this type of discussion is like debating quantum mechanics and dark matter or dark energy. Or even religion as the phenomenon itself... Dangerous stuff, prone to form opposite camps of likeminded people.

As a DM, if you want there to be a relation between the various incarnations of Lloth over the multiple campaign worlds... you're free to do so. If not just as fine. There is no real 'canon' on this, and I think for the majority of gamers there is no need either...

If you want to continue the discussion, by all means. But this is most likely my last contribution to this aspect of this topic.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  23:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

But to be honest, this type of discussion is like debating quantum mechanics and dark matter or dark energy.

And just what's wrong with that?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  13:44:47  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure! I think you ask yourselft a little too much questions!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  07:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Sure! I think you ask yourselft a little too much questions!

Scaredy-cat! One must always ask questions!

(Besides, I wrote that right before my four-and-a-half-hour-long Astronomy exam. I had it on the brain at the time. )

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 15 Mar 2003 07:26:13
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  19:15:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Echon,

I loved this thread. Reading through it was fantastic! To your question though (and I'm not sure I can add much more to it, other than the fact that other items came later and so updating here might be good). Below are some links to some great material.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Echon

Recently I have been reading the Plancescape Campaign Setting Boxed Set which I have just got hold of and I wondered if Ao's influence is limited to the crystal sphere in which Toril lies? Is he ceator of all the planes or only Abeir-Toril and everything in that world? Is he subject to limits of ordinary gods with respect to planar travels?

-Echon

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000