Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Lord Ao
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  12:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Recently I have been reading the Plancescape Campaign Setting Boxed Set which I have just got hold of and I wondered if Ao's influence is limited to the crystal sphere in which Toril lies? Is he ceator of all the planes or only Abeir-Toril and everything in that world? Is he subject to limits of ordinary gods with respect to planar travels?

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  13:17:04  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO Ao is the god of every plane, even if he has an other name in other places than Toril
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  13:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of an overgod of any campaign other than Forgotten Realms.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  16:48:15  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER-Avatar Trilogy
At the end of the Avatar Trilogy, yet another overgod asks Ao if his "realm" is now under control....this might leave one to believe that there are several overgods who are in charge of various realms across the universe...just because he/she/it isn't mentioned in the canon doesn't mean he/she/it has yet to be discovered.....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  17:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are probably aware of this already but some speculate that Ao is talking to the Dungeon Master, to whom even overgods answer.

Secondly, if it is not mentioned in any canon products it is left to the DM's discretion. Personally I would limit Ao to Toril only.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  20:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since no one knows for sure what the Lady of Pain really is, she might be seen as a kind of overgod with her abilitity to keep all the gods out of Sigil, cancel Gates and imprison every creature in Sigil no matter how powerful.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  22:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I've always liked the idea that Ao is the overlord of all of the D&D worlds, while the superior he was talking to at the end of Waterdeep was the lord of all RPG worlds . . . not just D&D. But that's just an idea that I had after reading that part.

In my opinion, anyway, the reason that Ao isn't really known in other worlds (i.e., Krynn) is because he wasn't known in the Realms (in the canon sense) until the Time of Troubles. The Realms was the only one to experience that one.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  22:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Echon-

According to what? Everyone always says that that Ao was speaking to a DM, but there is no evidence of it...

I don't think that a DM would have to speak with Ao...for Ao is asked a question...one the "DM" would know were he/she present. In this case, I think that the author's purpose was to show how deep and mysterious the Realms are, and that even Ao, a deity whose presence was so entirely awe inspiring to the mortals who saw him, is but a pawn to yet another god...

While I do agree with you that the DM is somewhere in that lineage (perhaps just above the god Ao speaks with, perhaps thousands of deities removed), and it is a pretty cool thought that Ao might be speaking to a DM, I don't see a lot of evidence to back up everyone's claims, especially when you consider that if that was the author's intent, he would have made it much more obvious...I guess to each their own...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  22:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim
According to what? Everyone always says that that Ao was speaking to a DM, but there is no evidence of it...

...neither is there any evidence that he is talking with yet another over-overgod and I am well aware of this, i.e. I do not claim that it is the truth, I simply like the thought of it.

quote:
While I do agree with you that the DM is somewhere in that lineage (perhaps just above the god Ao speaks with, perhaps thousands of deities removed), and it is a pretty cool thought that Ao might be speaking to a DM, I don't see a lot of evidence to back up everyone's claims, especially when you consider that if that was the author's intent, he would have made it much more obvious...I guess to each their own...

Perhaps it was the author's intent to puzzle people with regard to the identity of the one Ao is talking to. Not really hinting at anything on purpose to make people debate this topic, in which he succeeded.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  01:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao is all!!
The beginning and the ending!!
The Alpha and Omega!!

HeHeHe
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  03:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bellua Aeneus Lacerta

Ao is all!!
The beginning and the ending!!
The Alpha and Omega!!

HeHeHe

I never noticed that . . . you're right, that could very well be what "Ao" stands for.

Of course, due to my Catholic upbringing, I can't say I like that interpretation, but this is just fantasy . . . and suspension of disbelief is just as important as when watching Star Trek. (Sometimes less. But I shouldn't get started on that, or Alaundo will revoke my entry rights to the Library! )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:35:32  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done Bellua, i never noticed the Alpha and Omega thing.

It could answer our question too, Lord AO is superentity (... don't know if that word is good english) that rules every world, planes,...
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

It could answer our question too, Lord AO is superentity (... don't know if that word is good english) that rules every world, planes,...

Did you intend to say super-entity or suverenity?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  16:55:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Super-entity, i don't understand the other
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  17:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Super-entity, i don't understand the other

Quite likely because I cannot spell.

What I intended to say is sovereignty. In French: la souveraineté.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  22:23:01  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Planescape setting, some crystal spheres have overgods, others don't. Ao is the overgod of Toril only.

My biggest problem with 3rd edition is the way they removed the Realms from Planescape cosmology. I usually stick with canon material, but I refuse to recongnize that change.

I Hate Wizards of the Coast!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  00:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, he's pretty good at these puzzles and riddles . . . just look at his name! Personally, I wouldn't want to be in anything HE DMs -- he'd put in far too many of that! ()

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  00:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he's pretty good at these puzzles and riddles . . . just look at his name! Personally, I wouldn't want to be in anything HE DMs -- he'd put in far too many of that! ()

You mean you didn't fill out a grid and do the logic puzzle while reading "The City of Ravens"?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  06:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I haven't read that book . . . yet. So don't spoil the puzzle for me. I want a chance to give up -- I mean, solve it myself.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  16:27:04  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You brought up a good point about overgods. I think that AO is limited to Toril only. I came abou this conclusion because if any of you read Dragon Lance there is the Father of All Gods named Chaos. Though he was trapped in a gem in the end he was released.

So I think that All Pantheons will have one Over God to them. Above those that are Greator Powers.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  16:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read the Chaos Chronicle (or whatever their English titles are) but I have forgotten complete about Chaos. Anyone here who knows more about him?

Edit: If I recall correctly, he is the Lord of All and Nothing (there is most likely a better way to translate this) and in the books it is said that he is the one who created the gods of Krynn.

Thanks for bringing him up.

-Echon

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 11 Mar 2003 16:34:14
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  16:40:22  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I really remember is that he was trapped in a gemstone (can't remember its name) that was forged by Reorx. Some of the gods trapped Chaos in there and it was finally the Idra that released him. There was then a huge war that united most of Ansalon, good and evil, forcing not only Chaos to leave but the other gods as well. So not much is really said in depth about him.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  17:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you know if he is mentioned in any game products?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  09:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AraznBlair

You brought up a good point about overgods. I think that AO is limited to Toril only. [...]
So I think that All Pantheons will have one Over God to them. Above those that are Greator Powers.

I suppose that makes sense . . . sort of a hierarchy. Some other big-shot's in charge of the D&D multiverse.

But you seem to have raised two more questions, at least for me. Probably both are answered in some source book somewhere . . . .

Anyay, first: aren't there actually seperate pantheons on Toril? There's the Celestial Bureaucracy (basically lifted wholesale from our own Far East) and the Maztican pantheon (again, cut-and-pasted-just-change-the-names, this time from Mesoamerica). I don't know if there are others. How do they interact? Did they go through the Time of Troubles? If they were cast down as well, that would indicate that they interact with the "regular" pantheon. It's just that they don't seem to do that in the mortal world . . . .

Anyway, the other question is similar: Echon mentioned that the gods have limits on planar travel. Does that mean that they can't go to another world? That seems strange, what with the Spelljamer setting. And I think that Finder went to Krynn in Tymora's Luck (I could be wrong). Are any of the FR gods known outside the Toril crystal sphere?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  09:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, my dear Lacerta, would you like to cut your teeth on a little puzzle I made? Hehe, I don't think it's like anything you would have seen -- though I could be wrong, it has been known to happen . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  09:58:55  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

But you seem to have raised two more questions, at least for me. Probably both are answered in some source book somewhere . . . .

Anyay, first: aren't there actually seperate pantheons on Toril? There's the Celestial Bureaucracy (basically lifted wholesale from our own Far East) and the Maztican pantheon (again, cut-and-pasted-just-change-the-names, this time from Mesoamerica). I don't know if there are others. How do they interact? Did they go through the Time of Troubles? If they were cast down as well, that would indicate that they interact with the "regular" pantheon. It's just that they don't seem to do that in the mortal world . . . .

Anyway, the other question is similar: Echon mentioned that the gods have limits on planar travel. Does that mean that they can't go to another world? That seems strange, what with the Spelljamer setting. And I think that Finder went to Krynn in Tymora's Luck (I could be wrong). Are any of the FR gods known outside the Toril crystal sphere?

1) There are indeed several Pantheons on Toril, but all answer to AO...:
Faerunian, Elven, Dwarven, Orc, Halfling, Untherian, Mulhorandi, Matzican, Kara-Turan, etc...
All have felt to some degree the effects of the ToT, though the Faerunian pantheon was affected most. To some degree the effects on the other pantheons have been documented in canon. (a battle between Clangeddin and an elven deity who's names escapes me for the moment, is one example).

2) Yes and no... the gods as they are represented on Toril are sometimes aspects of greater beings. Lloth (Lolth) is an often used example for this. She exists both at the same time in various 'crystal spheres' as a deity. She can be slain in from a Torillian point of view without any effect on Greyhawk's Oerth for example. She just would lose control on Toril and her portfolio would be redistributed by Ao...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  10:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Bookwyrm scratches his head.]

Hmm, I guess I could see how that works . . . . but is there a central "body" for the deity (like Lolth/Lloth), or is it sort of a hive-mind?

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  10:15:02  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehehe... I understand the scratching, I felt the same when I first pondered this puzzle... But as with all things religion based, I do think some things are better left unexplained and mysterious. Besides the game or story impact on that high a level (not character level) is so minimal to non-existent that I wouldn't worry about it...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  11:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what's the planar limit Echon was talking about?

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  15:57:22  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Echon- I can't remember many source books for Krynn out side of a few such as the Chronicles nor do I know of any mention of Chaos in those same books. Maybe another well verse scribe could help you there. I'm more familliar with the novels more than anything.

If I remember correctly Tiamat is Takesis (sp?) from Krynn as well. They both are represented by a 5 headed Cromatic dragon. In the 2E Powers and Pantheon it mentions how the Mulhondran gods came to Toril when another god stole the people of another world. I can't remember the exact wording at the moment for I can not find that specific tome but I am pretty sure it is in there.

As for the TOT I beleve it did affect all gods. In one of RAS books it was mentioned that Lloth took her avatar form in Menzobarrazen (sp?) just prior to the war with the Dwarves of Myrthal(sp?) Hall. I agree with Mumadar Ibn Huzal that it seemed to only have affected the Fauren gods the most or more than likely thats all we really know about since those are the most written about gods.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare

Edited by - AraznBlair on 12 Mar 2003 15:58:05
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  23:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Accepted--Put you puzzle thread somewhere Bookwyrm.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000