Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fire At Will!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  07:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the things that drives me most nuts about modern attempts at medieval battle scenes (whether written or in the movies), is that, sooner or later, you'll have some character yelling "Fire" at his archers.

"Fire" is not an archery term. It comes from early guns, that needed actual flaming wicks touched to their powder to explode (much like later cannons). Actual terms used by archers are "Loose," and "Release," (sometimes adding "...arrows!" afterward)

But what I can't remember seeing anywhere is an archery command equal to "Fire at will." A signal to switch from vollies to individual shooting. Can anyone fill me in? Also, if there are any other "Fire" equivalents that I missed, I'd love to learn them.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  07:38:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the order to fire is "Loose"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  08:14:18  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fire is quite a common word that is ingrained into many minds, well, sometimes single words such as:

Release, Loose, Launch, Now!(Provided the archers understand the term)

Besides that, a bit long terms can also be used:
Unleash the storm, shoot at will, Stretch and release.

I will think a bit more and fill in later.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  17:17:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading one of the recent Drizzt books, and I saw the word "rewound" in there... That really threw me, because it was used in the "backing up to a previous point" sense.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  17:54:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rewound = "Past tense and past participle of rewind. " and could very well refer to crossbows.

As for bow commands it appears that the command was ready, then ranged called out, so bows could be angled, loose.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  18:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i saw an old movie about rome vs germanic barbarians and they were told to shower or volley the enemy and then "to pick targets" when tehy would switch to targeting individuals (firing at will)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  00:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Pick your targets." Hmm. There's one I didn't think of. Thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  01:08:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fire at will actually is a bastardization of shoot at Willian Tell with fire arrows. *wink*

Yes as range closed, those that did not get stoped other ways, the lead archers were expected to select their targets.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  02:03:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Discharge", "loose" and "shoot" are all applicable terms for firing crossbow bolts (and two websites on archery suggest the terms are applied to standard archery bows as well).

"Fire" should only be used if the arrow or bolt has a flamed applied.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Apr 2006 02:11:32
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  04:00:14  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also trying to cross reference Archery sites for either voice or signal commands. I ran across several "whistle" commands also. I also remember something about flag signals in ancient armies for the signaling of archery units to move, prepare(load), pull, and loose

Edited by - scererar on 03 Apr 2006 04:00:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000