Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Bad Links
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  20:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have noticed that many links to other websites, specifically the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale, do not work. I was wondering if someone could fix/remove them. If this is not the correct place to post this, could you please direct me to it?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  21:10:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Er, do you mean links hosted by candlekeep?

If so you should indeed post here, both the broken link and referring page where link was hosted.

If you are refering to links in members sigs or other wise posted you should contact them (It should be kept in mind if you are looking at dated posts for any reason the links may have been valid at that time and no longer are, these if not currently being used should not be commented on).

You also could private message instead of posting here. A public can allow others to test link, sometimes it is not a host site error. It might work for many just not for a few.

At least this is what I advise.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  01:30:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly what links are you referring to Arlenion?

Are you encountering broken links on the Candlekeep mainsite... or, as Kentinal just asked, those seen in the signatures of scribes here at the Candlekeep Forums?

As it is... for mainsite links... Candlekeep cannot be expected to keep up with the functionality of every link, so it requires scribes to report errors to us so that they may be repaired or removed if the site they connect to no longer exists. If however you are referring to links in sigs... then Kentinal's earlier advice stands. You're better off contacting the scribe in question (if they are still active here) by PM and asking them to look into it. Or, if the scribes have been absent from Candlekeep for a while... try googling the site you're looking for.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  10:29:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, the Sage is correct. No periodical checks are performed on any of the site links on the Links page, therefore I will rely on anyone using these links to inform me of any invalid URL's.

With the pending redesign of Candlekeep, these will all be reviewed and link maintenance simplified, however.

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  10:58:37  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, currently "The Candlekeep Collection" in the section "lore" is a dead link to Wizards site, "http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_20001129b.asp".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  22:30:18  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in Alaundo's Library, under The Scribe's Gatherings, a few links aren't working properly.

The Candlekeep Collection (as already noted) and FR Novel Reading Order result in 404 errors.

"Never a Warpig Born" goes to http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Story.aspx which has nothing on it about the 2001 Spin-a-Yarn.

just so ya know.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  22:55:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dead links point to content which has been moved or removed, sometimes even to webhost servers which no longer exist. If the links point to content hosted on another server (ie: not Candlekeep) then there's little Alaundo can do about it, but there are internet archives like the Wayback Machine which save copies of "lost" content. WotC is notorious for aggressively culling their public (and I presume, also private/DDI) offerings from time to time ... yet there's always a chance all of their once-free public-domain content can be found in the archives.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  02:16:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Ayrik is correct.

It's more than likely that the Bad Links are a result of Wizards once again moving the electronic content of their own website around, without properly indicating where such content has now been moved to. Thus, the faults lie with Wizards, rather than Candlekeep.

So until we know where and when the content of these now erroneous links reside, they'll just have to remain in place until they're "fixed."

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  02:51:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TinyURL (or similar link-shortening services) can often be used to make a clickable direct-access link to content which is buried deep within layers of archived archives. Although the archive sites tend to be fairly stable and constant, they are still sometimes reorganized or relocated so even these shortcut links sometimes die.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  14:38:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's more than likely that the Bad Links are a result of Wizards once again moving the electronic content of their own website around, without properly indicating where such content has now been moved to. Thus, the faults lie with Wizards, rather than Candlekeep.

Wizards is very, very bad about doing this, rather frequently... I'm afraid it's left me with a rather low opinion of their web team. I'm convinced that not even their web masters know where all their content is, it get moves around so much!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  05:09:05  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there was a scroll around here listing Wayback Machine links to old WOTC pages, but I can't even find that now!

I need Thomas Costa's "The Lone Drow: Companions of the Hall" web page. That was the last stat write-up on Catti-brie and Regis, I believe.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  06:32:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

I believe there was a scroll around here listing Wayback Machine links to old WOTC pages, but I can't even find that now!

I need Thomas Costa's "The Lone Drow: Companions of the Hall" web page. That was the last stat write-up on Catti-brie and Regis, I believe.

I think I've got that one stored as a text-file on my HD. I'll take a look once I get home.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  10:50:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it as a Word file...

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  17:49:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much obliged, gents.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  18:16:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Sage doesn't beat me to it, PM me your email address and I'll send the file later tonight. And that's not Sagetime, when I say that.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  19:12:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC misplaced so much Realmslore on their site it's almost criminal...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  19:51:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If Sage doesn't beat me to it, PM me your email address and I'll send the file later tonight. And that's not Sagetime, when I say that.

Done. ˇGrazzi!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  20:09:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I really don't want to assume incompetence on the part of their web folks... Heck, all I can do myself is basic HTML. That said, it's really difficult for me to see all of the broken links and *not* assume incompetence.

I really don't understand the countless redesigns and content shuffles they've done, and I cannot think of any good reason not to update links or at the least put redirects in place.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  03:04:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. I've yet to devise a virtual formula that will expand the spatio-temporal effects of my SageTime Engine, to encompass parts of the US.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  03:06:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I wouldn't say it's really criminal. There's nothing wrong with reorganising the content on your website. Just so long as you're also updating the appropriate links and data-registry tables in order to facilitate easier use of the site and it's stored information for users.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  03:33:40  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, a rationale that was used for the WOTC Community's shutdown of the Novels Forum was that that Forum had become very divisive, but the Community was designed to help further the company's business interests, so there was a conflict, and the divisiveness had to be excised.

Now, how is completely rearranging your site and rendering useless most of your internal links and losing track of your own pages and documents conducive to good business?

And if this wasn't really done out of business interests, then it begs the question as to whether the nixing of the Novels Forum was, either . . .

Edited by - BEAST on 26 Jun 2012 03:34:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000