Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ossavitor's Way
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rajorke
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  21:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Rajorke's Homepage Send Rajorke a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the description for Eldenser, the Wyrm that Hides in Blades, it speaks of a process for draconic immortality called Ossavitor's Way. I'm planning on using Eldenser in a campaign I'm about to start running and was wondering where I could find information on Ossavitor's Way and who or what Ossavitor is.

"I see the dark universe yawning" -H.P. Lovecraft "Nemesis"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  22:45:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can try asking Ed, but I believe that the information in the article (which, while not exhaustive, is certainly informative) is all the info we have on Ossavitor and his Way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Mar 2006 22:51:26
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  00:51:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've thought about this one a lot. I thought about writing it up as a chain of feats or a dragon PrC for Dragons of Faerun, but it didn't get past the concept stage. Perhaps as a web enhancement, but we already have a ton for the web enhancement.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  01:29:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like one for Ed... I remember him discussing Ossavitor's Way only in passing in his '04 replies as I recall. Not much information though...

Eric's idea sounds neat... though I think I prefer the notion of a chain of feats for the Way, rather than a PrC. I don't know why... but learning about a process for draconic immortality seems like something more akin to a feat (or series of feats) than just a PrC.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  02:06:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The chain of feats idea sounds better to me, too, but I think it should be even more than that. The description in the article makes it sound like a spell or ritual, but calling it a "way" implies a path to be followed -- which to me implies psionics. It could also be some combination of two of things, or even all three (four, if you include feats, which is reasonable).

Considering the end results of Ossavitor's Way, I have to wonder if the "magical process" that lets him leap from blade to blade was an early step along this path...

Go to Top of Page

Rajorke
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  05:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Rajorke's Homepage Send Rajorke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well since there really isn't anything made for it I guess I'll take my shot at designing something for it. I don't like the idea of a feat since that really doesn't involve the PCs much. I was thinking of something like an incantation from Unearthed Arcana. With this it could mean that the dragon has to seek out components for the incantation and possibly the need of other spellcasters to finish it.
With that requirement it would fit in with Eldenser needing adventurers to aid him in his quest seeing as how his body doesn't function. I'll work on this some more and post it here.
Any input would be wonderful and thanks for the replies already.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:15:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you're not making it be just a single feat... The results are quite powerful, and if it was just a single feat, more dragons would be pursuing it...

Go to Top of Page

Rajorke
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Rajorke's Homepage Send Rajorke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it should involve a feat at all. Instead I think it should require certain things to be done and specific components to be found. Things that would require an adventure arch of a campaign to complete.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  10:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about tying it into the Dragon Ascendant prestige class from the Draconomicon? You'd need to flush out the flavor a bit, and come up with a substitution level for the last level, but other than that, it's a good fit.
Go to Top of Page

Rajorke
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  16:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Rajorke's Homepage Send Rajorke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But turning it into a prestige class kind of ruins the idea that it has to involve the PCs. I don't want the the dragon to just be able to do it simply through gaining levels or feats. I want it to have to involve the PCs in aiding the dragon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000