Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mithral deposits - associated ores?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  14:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sudden thought/query: what other minerals, if any, are found close to/mixed with veins of mithral? Would one expect to see a single mining operation extracting, say, mithral *and* iron?

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2006 :  15:24:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general it has been my impression that D&D mines are single resource. This does not mean you can not have a mixed ore mine.

RW aluminium (cloest thing to mithral and some believe that is what was intended) mines do have "impurities, chiefly compounds of iron, silicon and titanium."

So it would appear posible to have a mithral and iron mine.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  00:26:24  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best description of mythril I've seen makes it a secret steel alloy known only to the Elves and Dwarves. In addition to the usual components of a steel alloy, it also requires the purest silver and some secret ingredients. Therefore, if you subscribe to this theory, there would be no such thing as a mythril mine.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  01:06:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

The best description of mythril I've seen makes it a secret steel alloy known only to the Elves and Dwarves. In addition to the usual components of a steel alloy, it also requires the purest silver and some secret ingredients. Therefore, if you subscribe to this theory, there would be no such thing as a mythril mine.

However, we know this is not the case, because of Mithral Hall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  02:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

Lousy metallic alloy, even so, the alloy hardly seem the best protection against monstrous foes or opponents with critical strike abilities, I doubt such alloy would withstand even a determined slash/hack from common weapons. I would recommend multi-alloyed metals forged with a honey-combed internal structure, this would better withstand a heavy strike.

I think in a mine, miners normally seek veins of metallic deposits, but of course, in reality , no metal ore comes pure alone. Sometimes, they would seek other stuff besides the metal, think of coal or natural gases. I think a mining operation would extract besides the metal, there are sulphur, silicon, aluminium, copper, traces of some other metals as well as the usual impurities thrown into the mix. Sometimes this "impurities" are taken out as well for some purposes, example sulphur for magic components or overcoming foul smells. But, mineral deposits are occasionally found alongside the metal veins, if this does occur and with the proper metal and alchemical and mining knowledge, the mining operation can be a worthwhile profitable operation.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.

Edited by - Sir Vengeance on 30 Mar 2006 02:10:20
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  03:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithral is a somewhat strange subject, since we only have one mithral mine (Mithral Hall) upon which to go on, and it's noted several times that Mithral Hall's deposits are unusally rich and pure.

What we know: Mithral is its own metal, not a an alloy. However, unlike Moria, it occurs in more than one place in Faerun than just Mithral Hall.

What we don't know is whether all mithral mines resemble Mithral Hall (which seems to be fairly normal rock with veins of pure mithral, or maybe mithral in coal, since the dwarves never seem to be short of it), or whether Mithral Hall is an exception, and that most mithral mines conform to SV's description. Maybe we can get some people skilled in mining and metalurgy (as I am not) in here and engage in some speculation.

(And yes, I do realize that this is a long-winded way of saying I have no idea what else a mining operation might find)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn

Sudden thought/query: what other minerals, if any, are found close to/mixed with veins of mithral? Would one expect to see a single mining operation extracting, say, mithral *and* iron?

There's a description of a lost dwarven mine on the coast of the Swordkrypt Mountains (FRCS? Volo's Guide to the North?) which mentions several different metals mined therein.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  01:51:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

There's a description of a lost dwarven mine on the coast of the Swordkrypt Mountains (FRCS? Volo's Guide to the North?) which mentions several different metals mined therein.

Are you referring to Southkrypt? -- (Volo's Guide to the North, The North, Waterdeep and the North and Savage Frontier)

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Are you referring to Southkrypt? -- (Volo's Guide to the North, The North, Waterdeep and the North and Savage Frontier)

Yes and no. My bad. Wave Echo Cave, on the coastal side of the Swordkrypts (Volo's Guide to the North), was a mithril mine. Southkrypt Garden was a silver mine. Two major veins of rich ore within less than fifty miles of each other suggests (to me) that they are associated, but that certainly shouldn't be considered canonical by any means: one vein may be an intrusion, and one or both may be part of different strata which simply got "folded" into the Southkrypt range.

What confused me a few days ago, when I posted, was that I had just read the section of Alderac's (AEG's) Empire book about mineral resources in a region, and their random ore type generator permits mithril to be associated with other metals. I find portions of the book difficult to figure out, but if a DM wants to generate a mine, their tables are a handy, low-tech way to do it. RW silver, btw, is often associated with other valuable metals, including gold; just check a good encyclopedia entry on it. (Encyclopedias? Remember those?)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  22:12:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(Encyclopedias? Remember those?)

You mean the beta versions of Google, right?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  22:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithral is described in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical:
quote:
Known as truemetal to the dwarves, this silvery-blue, shining metal is derived from soft, glittering, silvery-black ore found in rare veins and pockets all over Faerūn—from the depths of the Underdark to surface rocks, particularly in the easternmost Sword Coast North lands. Mithral can be combined with steel (varying alloys of iron and carbon) to derive adamantine if one has no access to adamantite ore, but this process is both difficult and known only to a very few dwarves, who do not perform it for nondwarves unless there is a very good reason.
It isn't a steel or silver alloy. Neither is Mithral Hall the only known mithral mine.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  00:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No it isn't. It is, however, the only one that's been extensively detailed, and we therefore have no way of knowing whether the structure of its mithral is unique, common, or an abberration from the norm compared to other mines.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  20:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 2E book, "The Complete Book of Dwarves," there is a chapter on mining (Chapter 8). It indicates that Mithril is found alone, (no other metals or gems with it,) and that, "Mithril exists deep under the earth, in dense metamorphic formations." Ten percent of Mithril formations found are actually Mithril, the rest is silver, gold or platinum of the highest quality.
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  20:54:20  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any charts for mining, and what one would actually find anywhere?

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of oneā€™s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  21:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I refer you again to AEG's book, Empire. You might also want to consult the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  21:27:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

If you mean in the Realms where undiscovered resources are, I do not believe such exists. There has been a few non canon offers of time to mine and ore yeild to waste rock I have seen.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:25:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

If you mean in the Realms where undiscovered resources are, I do not believe such exists. There has been a few non canon offers of time to mine and ore yeild to waste rock I have seen.

I don't have my Grand History of the Realms with me; but there is vague reference to Tethyamar being a source of Mithral (I think).

I believe one of the years associated with Tethyamar says something either about adamantine or mithril...I honestly can't remember right now.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  16:44:51  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*casts raise thread*

Heh, nice. I always wondered how sparse mithrall and adamantite mines in the realms were. I have several mithrall mines to add to my known list now.

But are there any other mentions of abundant adamantite deposits/mines/meteor slags? How large and obvious are these mines? Do they require particular mining equipment like specialized rockovens, slagfunnels and quenching tubs?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  18:30:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might just be me, but for the most part, dwarves, drow, duergar, and deep gnomes are the only ones who know how to forge mithril and adamantite ore.

You don't hear much about meteors that contain the ore. But I'm sure they are present or quickly mined out. I believe Pathfinder addressed that a few times too for reference.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  20:25:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

This might just be me, but for the most part, dwarves, drow, duergar, and deep gnomes are the only ones who know how to forge mithril and adamantite ore.

You don't hear much about meteors that contain the ore. But I'm sure they are present or quickly mined out. I believe Pathfinder addressed that a few times too for reference.

The fair elves clearly work with mithril silver for their Elven chain.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  22:43:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E PHBR8: Complete Book of Elves and DMGR1: Arms & Equipment Guide suggest that the secret of forging (light, flexible, silvery) elven chain from mithril somehow involves magical exposure to moonlight, whereas the secret of forging (dense, hard, and dark) drow chain from adamantine instead involves exposure to the magical radiations of the Underdark.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  05:13:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I was in a hurry when I wrote that, but yes, elves could too. At present in the Realms though, I don't get the feeling that the elven folk would be into heavy forgework. They seem more apt to rest on the deeds and laurels of their ancestors, which doesn't make me think many of them would bother to even make the attempt. I could be wrong though.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2014 :  14:47:01  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So according to some folk the color of adamantine weapons is either a lustrous black, green, blue or grey. The adamantite ore is written (VGtatM) as black so I tend to favor the black and grey coloring for worked adamantine, but with a distinct green and purplish rainbow shine (like an oil).

Mithral ore is probably silvery because its in silver metal deposits that mithrall can be found in, but its pure form is more blueish(?). Perhaps the exposure to moonlight gives worked mithrall its silvery blue coloration.

Cold Iron is whitish grey and usually cast in a quite coarse 'pure iron bar' or 'pig steel' like slag. The ore is pretty easy to find if you know what to look for (mostly surfaced deep iron deposits such as near faultlines and sheer cliffsides worked by eons of erosion). The core of a planet of the prime is considered a 'cold iron heart' in my D&D worldviews. Most of the cold iron weapons are casted and if they are quenched they'd become brittle early, so they either cool slowly and get a greyish color are magically cooled to get a black finish. Some are slowly heated by hammered out a piece of pig iron slag and shaped into the desired weapon. Additionally the cold smelting process and/or the mystic powers of the smiths labourous work makes a cold iron sword so much like a piece of the core of a natural world that it becomes anathema to fey and fiends...

Is starmetal or meteoric iron ever used in FR lore? There is a 3.5 prestige class (green star adept in the complete arcane book), but aside from that I have a hard time remembering weapons being forged from meteoric iron.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000