Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Life in Rashemen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Broken
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  23:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Broken's Homepage Send Broken a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm in need for some info on life Rashemen... all I have are the 3rd edition FR rulebooks (FRCS, MoF) and nothing else. There's climate, geography and Witches, but I need a more general description that answers 'simple' questions, like:
1. What are those fabled nature spirits like?
2. Are the "Three" the only gods worshipped?
3. What kind of education do Rashemi children get-- do they learn to read and write?
4. Male arcane spellcasters are rare, but what about divine spellcasters? Are Witches the only healers/clerics around?
5. And what about housing? What are villages like?
6. And is there a bardic tradition? In a 'valor'-based society I would expect there would be a strong one, but is that true?

I'm aware there's a book on the way, and I will certainly buy it, but meanwhile I just plain need a mental image... and I don't have Spellbound, or other 2E references (neither do I intend to buy them, with the new books on their way).

So.. any experts of the east who are approachable?

Just roadkill on the path of life.

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  11:03:50  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nature spirits are elements of mother nature (Chauntea) herself, and resemble the 'cold' neutral aspects of nature which have to be respected. This is a task for the Witches who can sometimes convince the spirits to cooperate on behalf of the Rashemmi people.

Mystra, Chauntea and Mielikki are the primary deities worshipped in Rashemen, though the others are known, there worshippers are a definite minority.

It is up to the DM to rule whether or not the children are taught literary skills. Current D&D assumes literacy except for Barbarians. Personally I don't really like this generic rule, and IMO the Rashemmi people are primarily instructed by the Hathrans by oral tradition.

Other Divine spellcasters are a definite minority and probably don't progress to higher levels. Most of these functions indeed are performed by the Witches.

The villages are small, rural and clannish. There are no real cities and the country would be considered primitive and backward by many.

Given the strong oral traditions and indeed much valor and pride in their warriors, I would expect a bardic - skald-like - tradition. Though I can't recall of the top of my head if that is truly the case.

Approachable enough?

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 05 Mar 2003 11:04:25
Go to Top of Page

Broken
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  13:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Broken's Homepage Send Broken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Approachable, yes... but it's still somewhat of a mystery, since I read somewhere that Shar too has quite the number of followers-- or are they 'underground'?

Oh, and about the divine spellcasters: FRCS says there are probably a 100 or so Witches-- but who then are the Rashemi's main healers? I don't think the Hathran can fit that into their busy agenda too...

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  13:34:15  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know the population number of Rashemen of the top of my head, but it is definitely not densly populated. Also not every illnes or injury is cured by healing spells and other divine magic... IMO that is often a common misperception about the Realms. Why would there be cripples and blind people, or less extreme, scarred and disfigured? I suspect that there is a strong knowledge of nature and natural ways to cure illnesses and diseases, wisewomen or -men can perform those functions, one doesn't need priests for that.

The curch of Shar in Rashemen... I'd think they'd operate mostly 'underground' and subtly work their ways. They might find it a haven from prosecution elsewhere in the region... though I'm not entirly sure...
Go to Top of Page

Broken
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  21:16:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken's Homepage Send Broken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks...
No, I did not suppose clerics heal *everything*, but with the stigma that rests on certain knowledge and crafts I wondered if there were any outside of the Wychlaran-- either herbalists (or something) or clerics... maybe I've been too clipped in my formulation.

It does not matter. Thanks, Mumadar
*bows*

Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2003 :  13:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can get your hand on the 2nd edition Forgotten Realms book "Grand tour of the Realms" that came with the campaign setting it has a whole page about Rashemen. Maybe not your every question asked type of material but very useful to add flavor to the land.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2003 :  14:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you really want if you can get it, is the 2nd Edition Box set titled 'Spellbound'.

If you look in the campaign guide, chapter 3 on page 68 through to 85 there is some very nice Rashemen information there.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  19:40:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Broken,

Here are three great condensed sources with references for you regarding Rashemen.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Broken

I'm in need for some info on life Rashemen... all I have are the 3rd edition FR rulebooks (FRCS, MoF) and nothing else. There's climate, geography and Witches, but I need a more general description that answers 'simple' questions, like:
1. What are those fabled nature spirits like?
2. Are the "Three" the only gods worshipped?
3. What kind of education do Rashemi children get-- do they learn to read and write?
4. Male arcane spellcasters are rare, but what about divine spellcasters? Are Witches the only healers/clerics around?
5. And what about housing? What are villages like?
6. And is there a bardic tradition? In a 'valor'-based society I would expect there would be a strong one, but is that true?

I'm aware there's a book on the way, and I will certainly buy it, but meanwhile I just plain need a mental image... and I don't have Spellbound, or other 2E references (neither do I intend to buy them, with the new books on their way).

So.. any experts of the east who are approachable?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000